Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E5-1650 v3, 256GB ECC Reg, 2 x 480 GB SSD, 2 x 10 TB HDD, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 1 Gbps, Hetzner FSN1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E5-1650 v3, 256GB ECC Reg, 2 x 480 GB SSD, 2 x 10 TB HDD, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 1 Gbps, Hetzner FSN1

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hello!

Friendly greetings! :)

Hetzner rented a dedicated server to me last night. Server specs are as in the thread title.

There isn't much that I want to run on this server. Maybe FreeBSD for a few days and Alpine for a few days. Then maybe the server could stay stable running Ubuntu or Proxmox or whatever else people want.

The server costs €94.70/month. Financial contributions would be appreciated. Nevertheless, someone might be able to come aboard for a small contribution or even for free.

Is it too crazy to imagine that someone or a small group of people might want to share this server with me?

Thank you!

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

When in doubt, cancel the server.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Does this server come with @yoursunny 's proprietary ipv9 technology?

Thanked by 2yoursunny Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    When in doubt, cancel the server.

No doubt. <3 Friendly greetings! <3

Thanked by 1miu

@FatGrizzly said: proprietary ipv9

Secret too closely held. But, if Sunny open sources the code, then there's a chance. :)

Friendly greetings! <3

• Hmm, why didn't you get the smaller server with cheaper price? By German's law, Hetzner will allow you cancel the order in 14 days of first use. Of course they have strong abuse prevention rule, so you can't cancel much server after several days of usage, but 1 server should be fine, I think.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Oops! No more FreeBSD Rescue System support at Hetzner since about July 8, 2022!

See https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-freebsd-in-hetzner.85399/post-574394 and https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-freebsd-in-hetzner.85399/post-574611

From the second link:

Regarding dropping FreeBSD support, Hetzner Says:

"I'm sorry for delivering bad news to you.. Our decision to stop supporting the FreeBSD rescue System was motivated by a number of internal factors. However, the problem is not with the stability of the system once it’s booted, but with the boot process via network. We have spoken with the FreeBSD maintainers, attempting to make the network boot work with all of our existing and upcoming server types. Since we were unable to make it work to a satisfying state, we have decided to stop supporting the FreeBSD Rescue System. Instead, we provide the option to run a FreeBSD image from an USB stick upon client request."

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Should've gotten the 2x1TB SSD config for $2 more per month:

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@windytime90 said:
    Hmm, why didn't you get the smaller server with cheaper price?

Seemed like this one was an good deal for the price.

By German's law, Hetzner will allow you cancel the order in 14 days of first use. Of course they have strong abuse prevention rule, so you can't cancel much server after several days of usage, but 1 server should be fine, I think.

Yes, Hetzner has been very flexible and friendly in allowing me to cancel within a day or two. Hetzner support also told me they are okay with customers keeping servers only for one month and paying for that one month.

I would be delighted to keep this server longer than one month, though. When I don't have a server at Hetzner I miss them. <3

@Advin said:

Hi @Advin!

Congrats on your membership in the Not Clickbait Club! :)

Maybe you are right that the server you mention (perhaps ID 1807473) says "2 x SSD SATA 1 TB." The one I picked (before I saw 1807473) says "2 x 480 GB SSD SATA Datacenter." Do you know what the additional word "Datacenter" means? I didn't until just now. :) We have a thread about it: Is there any benchmark result of Hetzner Datacenter SSD?

Best wishes!

Thanked by 1Advin
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited September 2022

I wouldn't think there would be a great deal of difference performance wise when it comes to comparing consumer SSDs with datacenter ones, though I suppose it depends which model of consumer you're dealing with.

Usually the benefit of a datacenter SSD is the increased durability, with them typically being more reliable over long periods and rated for higher amounts of writes before they inevitably fall over and stop working. This probably won't matter much unless you're in for the long haul and keep the server for a long while or you do write intensive workloads that are writing to the drives a large amount constantly. Since a consumer SSD is designed for use in a general purpose computer rather than a 24/7 server writing constantly, it may fail faster under these conditions.

Edit to clarify: When Hetzner says the disk is datacenter they mean that its model is definitely one that the manufacturer listed as a datacenter drive and is designed for server-type use. The ones not listed as datacenter might be these drives or they might be everyday consumer drives. Each server type has different drive models so I'd recommend checking your model and seeing what it can do.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles yoursunny
  • Run Proxmox on it and sell as NAT vps with good specs? Will cover at least half.
    Heck, I would buy a slice of it for myself even.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Also if you're running proxmox on it, you'll have no problems installing FreeBSD under that.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@Not_Oles said:

@Advin said:

Hi @Advin!

Congrats on your membership in the Not Clickbait Club! :)

Maybe you are right that the server you mention (perhaps ID 1807473) says "2 x SSD SATA 1 TB." The one I picked (before I saw 1807473) says "2 x 480 GB SSD SATA Datacenter." Do you know what the additional word "Datacenter" means? I didn't until just now. :) We have a thread about it: Is there any benchmark result of Hetzner Datacenter SSD?

Best wishes!

Thanks 🙏 My threads are certified NOT CLICKBAIT!!!!

Datacenter just means that you'll be guaranteed to get a datacenter drive which is a bit more reliable than their non-DC drives. They generally have more write endurance and will generally last longer.

However, I think the +2 euro for pretty much double the SSD is probably worth it, you can put it in RAID1 or something like that so if one fails you'll have time to get it replaced.

@Erisa said: I wouldn't think there would be a great deal of difference performance wise when it comes to comparing consumer SSDs with datacenter ones

Hi @Erisa! Check the interesting graphs in the thread which I linked above. Plus the especially interesting comments. And the interesting comments confirming the especially interesting comments.

Thanked by 1Erisa

@luckypenguin said:
    Run Proxmox on it and sell as NAT vps with good specs? Will cover at least half.
    Heck, I would buy a slice of it for myself even.

The NAT VPS is a good idea! :) Please send funds! :)

Just kidding about sending funds. :)

In other news, @GTHost is kindly sponsoring a server that a few of us are trying to set up with Proxmox as a free NAT server available to community members. Thanks @GTHost! More news on this before too long, I hope.

@ralf said:
    Also if you're running proxmox on it, you'll have no problems installing FreeBSD under that.

Another vote for Proxmox! <3

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Not_Oles said: Hi @Erisa! Check the interesting graphs in the thread which I linked above. Plus the especially interesting comments. And the interesting comments confirming the especially interesting comments.

Hmm, that is indeed interesting. I suppose it would depend which models they're testing, since even among datacenter/consumer there is some variance in what Hetzner will give you. This does make me curious though and I want to look into it more so thanks for the nudge.

• @Not_Oles said: Another vote for Proxmox! <3

If we're voting, I think Proxmox would be a good choice here too. You can divy up resources and if you get deep enough into configuring you can even give customers access to manage some parts of their VM/container on the Proxmox web panel, or maybe even assign people resource counts which they could create their own virtual servers with.

Playing with that admin side of Proxmox is something I've wanted to try my own hand at, but I never found the spare server resources or time/motivation to do so.

• One might suggest finding the users and/or purpose before renting a server. At least when you're paying the bill yourself.

• @TimboJones said:
    One might suggest finding the users and/or purpose before renting a server. At least when you're paying the bill yourself.

This! I also wonder how @Not_Oles deals with unscrupulous users that may do things that are not legit - or is the whole model based on trusting those (users) who are paying the bills?

@TimboJones @yoursunny @bdl @stevewatson301 @Erisa @AXYZE @shelfchair

Thank you for your interest!

I bought this particular server on this particular occasion because, for me, using Hetzner is peaceful, fun, and relaxing. For me, a dose of Hetzner from time to time cures many ills.

I wrote an article for Low End Box about the purchase of this server. The €Bilohs from the article might cover part of the first month's server rent. Maybe I will pay for the server for one month and then move on. Maybe I will keep it for longer. Maybe I will get an EX100. Who knows?

Incidentally, this server is the first I've ever had with more than two disks. It's also the first I've ever had with more than one type of disk. So I am getting to learn a little about multiple disk file system configurations.

Also, through this server purchase, I found out that, a few months ago, Hetzner removed its bare metal server FreeBSD Rescue System. What could cause such a deep change in the server universe?

Already, this server has served multiple purposes, even though I did not know about them beforehand. I will be delighted to pay Hetzner's bill. Their services are worth more than the prices they charge.

@bdl said: This! I also wonder how @Not_Oles deals with unscrupulous users that may do things that are not legit - or is the whole model based on trusting those (users) who are paying the bills?

Fortunately, only the most magnificent neighbors seem occasionally attracted to my servers. They have decent, kind motivations. Usually they know far more than me. They teach me. Occasionally a hard working student arrives. The students who become neighbors also usually know far more than me. So, even the students teach me. I am most grateful to my neighbors!

Best wishes! <3

This is with the two SSDs in RAID0.

root@fsn1 ~ # curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
     # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
     #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
     #                     v2022-08-20                    #
     # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
     # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 16 Sep 2022 06:24:55 AM UTC

Basic System Information:
     ---------------------------------
     Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 28 minutes
     Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz
     CPU cores  : 12 @ 3800.000 MHz
     AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
     VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
     RAM        : 251.6 GiB
     Swap       : 6.0 GiB
     Disk       : 872.2 GiB
     Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
     Kernel     : 5.15.53-1-pve

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
     Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
       ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
     Read       | 253.15 MB/s  (63.2k) | 299.44 MB/s   (4.6k)
     Write      | 253.82 MB/s  (63.4k) | 301.02 MB/s   (4.7k)
     Total      | 506.98 MB/s (126.7k) | 600.47 MB/s   (9.3k)
                |                      |                     
     Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
     Read       | 384.28 MB/s    (750) | 388.65 MB/s    (379)
     Write      | 404.70 MB/s    (790) | 414.54 MB/s    (404)
     Total      | 788.99 MB/s   (1.5k) | 803.19 MB/s    (783)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
     Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                     |                           |                 |                
     Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 653 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec  
     Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 936 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
     Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 938 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec  
     Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | busy           
     Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 890 Mbits/sec   | 396 Mbits/sec  
     Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 858 Mbits/sec   | 305 Mbits/sec  
     Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 839 Mbits/sec   | 417 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
     Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                     |                           |                 |                
     Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 919 Mbits/sec   | 915 Mbits/sec  
     Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 924 Mbits/sec   | 923 Mbits/sec  
     Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 922 Mbits/sec   | 921 Mbits/sec  
     Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | busy           
     Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 878 Mbits/sec   | 354 Mbits/sec  
     Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 847 Mbits/sec   | busy           
     Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 829 Mbits/sec   | 259 Mbits/sec    

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
     Test            | Value                         
                     |                               
     Single Core     | 1013                          
     Multi Core      | 5984                          
     Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/17306575

root@fsn1 ~ # 

• @Not_Oles said: The NAT VPS is a good idea! Please send funds!

Post an offer.

@luckypenguin said:

@Not_Oles said: The NAT VPS is a good idea! Please send funds!

Post an offer.

What should the offer be? Serious question. Only partly teasing. :) I've posted various differing offers over the last few years. Selling into the Low End market, it seems that whatever plan I offer draws criticism.

On the other hand, I've had quite a few beyond-amazing customers. When I consider the folks with whom I've been able to interact via my MetalVPS project, MetalVPS truly is a resounding success.

Anyway, may I please ask, What should the offer be? Thanks in advance! <3

Here are the disk speed numbers without RAID0, just using one of the SSDs by itself:

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
     Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
     Read       | 134.77 MB/s  (33.6k) | 155.64 MB/s   (2.4k)
     Write      | 135.12 MB/s  (33.7k) | 156.45 MB/s   (2.4k)
     Total      | 269.90 MB/s  (67.4k) | 312.09 MB/s   (4.8k)
                |                      |                     
     Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
     Read       | 191.90 MB/s    (374) | 193.79 MB/s    (189)
     Write      | 202.10 MB/s    (394) | 206.69 MB/s    (201)
     Total      | 394.01 MB/s    (768) | 400.48 MB/s    (390)

• @Not_Oles said: What should the offer be? Serious question.

Divide by X specs, make a nice margin, say 1.5x, and off you go?
    As a promo, you could offer deals that will just cover the server, for reviews
    and not getting bankrupt ;)

edited September 2022

@luckypenguin said: Divide by X specs, make a nice margin, say 1.5x, and off you go?

Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually tried this. Even posted the calculations. For X equals any small number of clients, the result seems more than folks want to pay, especially for a server lacking this or that feature and maintained by a clueless™ guy. :)

It's all okay! I'm having fun with my metal vps at Hetzner! Last night I was looking at Hetzner's installimage script, the configuration file it left behind, the post-install script that puts Proxmox on top of Debian, and the debug file. Maybe I will try setting up NAT. Will be the first time for me.

Additional ideas I have are to try installing Alpine Linux, which I've not used yet. Maybe try installing Ubuntu and LXD and then trying to run Qemu-KVM inside an LXC container. One of the Ubuntu engineers has a blog post about KVM inside LXD. I've been messing with Arc Forum, Anarki, and Laarc on FreeBSD and Linux. My beautiful antique Darkstar is still going strong with Slackware64-current. Thanks @Ian_Dot_Tech!

When the new Hetzner server's initial month is over, maybe I will let the server go, and for sure pick up another from Hetzner a little further down the road. What seems too crazy is that, I have to pay Hetzner, but other providers are offering complementary servers. There is a lot to say for Hetzner, but there is a lot to say for other providers too. Thanks to @GTHost and to @HostSailor! @GTHost has been doing an excellent job with multiple server instant delivery and installation. @GTHost's replies to support tickets have been prompt and helpful! More soon about @HostSailor after I get some time on their machines.

Besides all of the above, there is the new-to-me server inside HE that I got from @Cloudie. And I have the little bit of C that I am learning. Plus . . . slowly, very slowly I am going through Xv6.

I'm looking for a provider who wants to help me learn a bit about routers and BGP.

If somebody wants to come aboard one or more of my servers, that's fine! If not, that's fine too!

The servers I have to pay for, you have to pay for too. The complimentary servers are free for you as well as for me.

Thanks to @jbiloh for making so much of what I am doing possible. Thanks to all of you for making the Low End Community a reality.

Always best wishes and kindest regards! :)

Thanked by 2Ian_Dot_Tech jbiloh