Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

deego lifetime storage? (25TB)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

deego lifetime storage? (25TB)

Hi there

Anyone tried Deego?

They have a 25TB for 200$ lifetime. What is the catch?

On trustpilot they have a good score. They have been around for a while...

Anyone tried their offers? a daily upload limit? slow speed like jottacloud after some threshold?

Comments

• @afn said: They have a 25TB for 200$ lifetime. What is the catch?

Its their lifetime, not yours. So you're really betting on how long the company will be around for.

Thanked by 3netomx titus taizi
  • afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@machinetto said: Its their lifetime, not yours

But if they have been around since 2012, is is really a bet at this point? or just a technicality ?

What I mean is, ofc you are right, but is their reaming lifetime really that questionable? what makes them prone to involucration* more than any other company at this point like 1fichier, pcloud, jottacloud (or even any hosting company)? Any signs that I am not aware of?

*: I just realized you are new, but it is a meme here on LET meaning to die (from the HostSolutions drama)

• Well, providers tend to throw unsuitable or surprisingly good deals around end of their lifetime

Thanked by 1afn
  • They're pretty shitty. Tried to close my account entirely because I was backing up "copyrighted material" (e.g., backups of books I've scanned to PDF and MP3s I've purchased legally). Their Windows client is also slow as shit, last time I used it. Wouldn't use them for anything mission-critical, but since I have a lifetime account I do use them as a backup of my (non-sensitive) backups.

That said, my account has lasted for years so far.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • trustpilot itself is shitty.

• Any website offering lifetime deals at this stage of existing means they’re either:

1) very kind
    2) short on cash and are trying to stay afloat by offering amazing deals

• @szarka said:
    They're pretty shitty. Tried to close my account entirely because I was backing up "copyrighted material" (e.g., backups of books I've scanned to PDF and MP3s I've purchased legally). Their Windows client is also slow as shit, last time I used it. Wouldn't use them for anything mission-critical, but since I have a lifetime account I do use them as a backup of my (non-sensitive) backups.

They claim zero knowledge encryption but they can scan your shit? Is that optional or new?

• @afn said:
    Hi there

Anyone tried Deego?

They have a 25TB for 200$ lifetime. What is the catch?

On trustpilot they have a good score. They have been around for a while...

Anyone tried their offers? a daily upload limit? slow speed like jottacloud after some threshold?

You should PM a mod to fix Degoo typo for search reasons.

• @TimboJones said:

@szarka said:
    They're pretty shitty. Tried to close my account entirely because I was backing up "copyrighted material" (e.g., backups of books I've scanned to PDF and MP3s I've purchased legally). Their Windows client is also slow as shit, last time I used it. Wouldn't use them for anything mission-critical, but since I have a lifetime account I do use them as a backup of my (non-sensitive) backups.

They claim zero knowledge encryption but they can scan your shit? Is that optional or new?

Maybe by file hashes? Mega also scans files.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • @gzz said:

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

The hash would be different with differently encrypted client side keys.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @gzz said:

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

hashes for scanned pdf books will never match

Thanked by 2TODO Daniel15
  • @TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

I don't think they had any encryption when I started using it. That may have changed, but I haven't gotten around to reinstalling their client on my new desktop. Just cold storage for me at this point.

• Why bother buy these lifetime accounts, just abuse some poorly onedrive for 5TB storage.

• i also use it for backups of backups, and it works fine for that.

just dont store anything on it that they can use as a reason to cancel the account, which they apparently will try to do once you _really _use it.

• maybe lifetime=1 year B)

• I will not trust any lifetime service.

• @zcorps said:

@gzz said:

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

What? Are you suggesting you actually scanned a whole book yourself, while having the book in your physical possession and retain ownership still, and didn't just copy it? Because scanning a book with accurate OCR is a shitload of work and it's just easier to download a copy in minutes.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Don't trust TrustPilot xD

Thanked by 2Chuck afn
  • szarkaszarka Member
    edited September 2022

@TimboJones said:

@zcorps said:

@gzz said:

@TimboJones said:

@szarka said:

What? Are you suggesting you actually scanned a whole book yourself, while having the book in your physical possession and retain ownership still, and didn't just copy it? Because scanning a book with accurate OCR is a shitload of work and it's just easier to download a copy in minutes.

Destructive scanning. I outsource it: https://1dollarscan.com/

The OCR is pretty good. More importantly, that's literally thousands of physical books I don't have to move to a new apartment/state.

Also, lots of legally-purchased ebooks. O'Reilly used to have an awesome DRM-free ebook store.

Thanked by 2TimboJones Daniel15
  • afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@TimboJones good point for "Degoo"! For some reason I memorized it with "ee" and one "o" and that is probably why I did not find much about it when I did a quick search since I used the wrong keyword

@angstrom can you please fix this typo as mentioned above? Thanks

@ Others thanks for the opinions.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2022

I personally wouldn't use a storage provider that's not supported by rclone. rclone support usually means they have an open API of some sort, meaning you're not forced to use their apps. AFAIK with Degoo you must use their apps.

A lot of decent providers have contributed to rclone, adding support for their services.

• @Daniel15 said: I personally wouldn't use a storage provider that's not supported by rclone. rclone support usually means they have an open API of some sort, meaning you're not forced to use their apps. AFAIK with Degoo you must use their apps.

+1000.

If it's not a block storage, it's crap. And a userspace app to install and mount rclone to it is
    such an ugly solution, you might want to skip it at the first place. There are many reports that
    they limit your upload to 100KB/s after 10GB, so why even bother.
    That Deego shit might go deadpool soon.

Thanked by 1afn