Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fastest CMS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The fastest CMS

verovero Member, Host Rep

What's the fastest CMS in your opinion? For a static website.

Bit too much work with plain HTML (will need to be edited in the future) also would really want to avoid WP in this case.

Sure, there are optimizations, caches and CDNs, but perhaps some sort of CMS gem exists that I've missed.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1Logano

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Hexo or Jekyll.

You write Markdown in Visual Studio Code and they compile to static HTML.
    Compilation happens either locally or on GitHub Actions.
    You don't need to write static HTML directly.
    You can edit the Markdown and recompile.

• HTMLy
    Datenstrom Yellow
    Flatpress

All php based which may or may not be someone’s preferred choice

Thanked by 3vero martheen ascicode
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2022

It all depends, do you want to be a hipster?
    If you want speed, try flat file CMS. Something like Grav.

Thanked by 2vero martheen
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

If it's really static you cache it early in the chain.

• @vero said:
    What's the fastest CMS in your opinion? For a static website.

A static site generator will create HTML files. I don't think which one makes a big difference.

I use Hugo and I am very happy with it.

Thanked by 1ascicode
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2022

Thanks- I always get confused between PageKit and Publii- was about to mention that Publii has not been updated for a while now. Which is certainly not the case.
    https://github.com/GetPublii/Publii

Pagekit, for ref:
    https://github.com/pagekit/pagekit

• Hugo/Jekyll.

• Gatsby

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Visual Studio Code. Just write and save to HTML.
    Also https://html-online.com/editor for fast and easy, just edit and replace the text you want.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Grav CMS

• Bludit

Thanked by 2vyas11 MannDude
  • Design everything in WP and generate static HTML.

• Anything that generates static HTML. They'll all be the same. You can even use WordPress if you also use a plugin like WP Super Cache and configure the web server to directly serve cached HTML straight from disk, bypassing PHP. It'll be the same performance as a static site.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal Tony40
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Bludit / Bashblog are two I've been fond about.

Thanked by 1ascicode
  • Not all static site generators will produce output that will have the same speed. It will depend on whether it is barebones and you add what you need or you load a full JS framework just to render a simple site.

• Are there any SSGs that integrate nicely with Ansible out of the box?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2022

@szarka said:
    Are there any SSGs that integrate nicely with Ansible out of the box?

Not that I’m aware of, but the steps should be fairly easy for any SSG out there:

1. Ask the generator to output the website files somewhere.
    2. Use Ansible’s rsync module to copy the files to your VPS.
  • simple: make wp site, turn into it with static. upload it to cloudflare pages.
    fastest speed directly from edge.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@szarka said:
    Are there any SSGs that integrate nicely with Ansible out of the box?

Not that I’m aware of, but the steps should be fairly easy for any SSG out there:

1. Ask the generator to output the website files somewhere.
    2. Use Ansible’s rsync module to copy the files to your VPS.

I was thinking more of the generator being on the web server itself and calling it via an Ansible module. But, yeah, either way it wouldn't add a lot. Just a nice to have.

• no fastest cms, when you've configured, any cms is the fastest.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yoursunny said: Hexo or Jekyll.

He said the fastest SSG and you come with Ruby and JavaScript. You're banned from using IPv6 for one week.

I've never used it at scale, but one of Hugo's strengths is its insane speed in generation, especially with very large sites. If you are looking for the fastest SSG, the answer is Hugo. Just like Golang is very fast in devouring source code to compile, so Hugo is very fast in blasting out web pages.

Random google from 2018: "We ran two tests to measure build times with Hugo and Jekyll. The basic test used the default installation of Jekyll and Hugo to build sites with 10 posts,100 posts, 1,000 posts and 10,000 posts. The advanced test built those same sites but included common plugins and template code in order to create a similar set of features between the two Static Site Generators. For each build, Hugo proved to be between 23 and 63 times faster than Jekyll!"

Another random blog entry from 2020 ran a comparison and concluded that Hugo is 50-70x faster than Jekyll.

Based on these two datapoints, I unscientifically conclude that four years ago Hugo was already vastly faster than the competition and in the meantime it's gained further ground.

YMMV but it won't.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Grav React
    Visual Studio Code

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Also, there are many caching plugins for WordPress, which in conjunction with Nginx, allow you to achieve good speed results