Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think my ISP is blocking LowEndTalk or the other way around?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think my ISP is blocking LowEndTalk or the other way around?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited September 2022 in Help

Hi,

I realized that I cannot access LowEndTalk.com without using a VPN since I switched to a different ISP recently (it's just home internet btw). I was able to access it on my previous ISP. My next door neighbor who is using a different ISP can also access it. I can also access it from my mobile data.

Is it my new ISP blocking LowEndTalk or LowEndTalk blocking my ISP? Or could there be any other reason and a possible solution to this situation?

Also, LowEndBox is working fine without a VPN. The problem is with just LowEndTalk.

EDIT: By cannot access I mean the website simply isn't loading when I enter its address on my browsers search bar. It just keeps loading forever. As soon as I open VPN, it loads the page.

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Define "cannot access".

Are you seeing a cloudflare block page?
    Please elaborate.

• It could well just be stale DNS on your machine, your router or your ISP.

• @FatGrizzly said:
    Define "cannot access".

Are you seeing a cloudflare block page?
    Please elaborate.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The website is simply not loading. It just keeps spinning forever and as soon as I open VPN, it loads. I also edited the post.

• A screenshot would be helpful.

• @vpssh said:
    A screenshot would be helpful.

I uploaded a video here; https://www.veed.io/view/6d255686-a2a0-4fc6-84be-40a9747563dd

As you can see the website doesn't load. On last few seconds I connect to my VPN just to prove that it works and as you can see it immediately loads.

• Without being connected to the VPN, try running curl -vo /dev/null http://lowendtalk.com on the command line and share the output here.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Without being connected to the VPN, try running curl -vo /dev/null http://lowendtalk.com on the command line and share the output here.

% curl -vo /dev/null http://lowendtalk.com
      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*   Trying 104.26.8.4:80...
    * Connected to lowendtalk.com (104.26.8.4) port 80 (#0)
    > GET / HTTP/1.1
    > Host: lowendtalk.com
    > User-Agent: curl/7.79.1
    > Accept: */*
    >
    * Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
    < HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
    < Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 17:16:14 GMT
    < Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    < Connection: keep-alive
    < Cache-Control: max-age=3600
    < Expires: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 18:16:14 GMT
    < Location: https://lowendtalk.com/
    < Report-To: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=nNYqpLXK5wZBCCRgeymYkni1VVWYZm4fQR2PAfrDI%2FJR9RptAWOAH1qkmopErPiWvoZ9RkW%2FCgt0KFH9nPtjH7tsJzCzeD%2FHqkF2yqLzm%2BGIvio%2FzeScinW6DfPv7jdW"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
    < NEL: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
    < X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
    < Server: cloudflare
    < CF-RAY: 74585f2ec829507b-IST
    < alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400
    <
    { [5 bytes data]
      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
    * Connection #0 to host lowendtalk.com left intact

• You do seem to get a proper response from Cloudflare, albeit over HTTP, so it’s definitely not the DNS server. Most ISP censorship software also like to block HTTP requests, so I suspect it’s something else at play.

What happens if you follow redirects to HTTPS with the -L switch, such as: curl -Lvo /dev/null http://lowendtalk.com?

If you see a 200 status code, below the initial 301, it means there’s probably a browser specific issue. Have you tried sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder? Have you tried connecting to LET using a different browser?

• It may be a Safari default VPN issue. As I also notice sometimes delays in opening LET.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited September 2022

I just tested and it seems I can connect from other browsers. I'm not sure what the problem is with Safari though and how come it can connect with VPN but not without it? That is odd. This is the only website I'm having this issue so far.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2022

Which operating system and version are you running? Which version of Safari are you running? Older versions of Safari on older versions of macOS have issues with many websites.

Example:
    cPanel does not load or display properly in an Safari 12.1.2 on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra). Other websites display a blank screen or are unusable with that browser combination. cPanel works on Chrome in the same OS. If I didn't need it for development reasons, I would have upgraded the OS and browser a long time ago.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@anbelevebel said: I'm not sure what the problem is with Safari though

Any and what Safari extensions are you using?

• @emg said:
    Which operating system and version are you running? Which version of Safari are you running? Older versions of Safari on older versions of macOS have issues with many websites.

Example:
    cPanel does not load or display properly in an Safari 12.1.2 on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra). Other websites display a blank screen or are unusable with that browser combination. cPanel works on Chrome in the same OS. If I didn't need it for development reasons, I would have upgraded the OS and browser a long time ago.

They're the latest.

• macOS Monterey 12.4
    • Safari 15.5
    • Apple M1 Pro chip

@Arkas said:

@anbelevebel said: I'm not sure what the problem is with Safari though

Any and what Safari extensions are you using?

I don't have any Safari extensions installed.

• Try to turn off Private Relay and test it.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2022

I could not replicate your problem on:

• MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) with Safari 12.1.2
    • VMware virtual machine (Intel) running macOS 12.5.1 (Monterey, latest), Safari 15.6.1 (latest) running on the MacBook Pro above.
    • MacBook Air with M1 (not Pro), running macOS 11.5.2, Safari 14.1.2

All three load the LowEndTalk home page without problems or errors.

P.S. Your macOS and Safari versions are slightly behind the latest patches.

• I too have problems with safari on my iphone.
    Sometimes let would load but only partially, sometime would load just fine but sometimes it just won't load the page even with vpn turned on.

@jbiloh fix

• @anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

I realized that I cannot access LowEndTalk.com without using a VPN since I switched to a different ISP recently (it's just home internet btw). I was able to access it on my previous ISP. My next door neighbor who is using a different ISP can also access it. I can also access it from my mobile data.

Is it my new ISP blocking LowEndTalk or LowEndTalk blocking my ISP? Or could there be any other reason and a possible solution to this situation?

Also, LowEndBox is working fine without a VPN. The problem is with just LowEndTalk.

EDIT: By cannot access I mean the website simply isn't loading when I enter its address on my browsers search bar. It just keeps loading forever. As soon as I open VPN, it loads the page.

Are you UK-based by any chance?

I'm struggling here with loading LET. It loads incredibly slowly and Chrome gives up on about half of the images. Its really odd

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@henix said:
    I too have problems with safari on my iphone.
    Sometimes let would load but only partially, sometime would load just fine but sometimes it just won't load the page even with vpn turned on.

@jbiloh fix

What version safari are you using?

• @jbiloh said:

@henix said:
    I too have problems with safari on my iphone.

@jbiloh fix

What version safari are you using?

Latest, idk how to check on the iphone but it s 15.something