Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP on an IX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP on an IX

My AS recently get connected to an IX. First time doing it not sure if I am doing it right.
For IX, I am suppose to connect my BIRD2 instance to BGP with IX router server? Is it normal that the IX router server won't accept my prefix export? As it shows up as 0 export.

Comments

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

It really seems like you should contact the IX first if you're having issues with them not accepting your exports.

Make sure your exports are valid IRR at a minimum, and you have set your prefix limits properly for peers to accept.

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

@dnwk said: For IX, I am suppose to connect my BIRD2 instance to BGP with IX router server?

Yes, an IXP may not require it but it's certainly the easiest way to peer with many networks on that IXP.

@dnwk said: Is it normal that the IX router server won't accept my prefix export? As it shows up as 0 export.

Where does it show 0 on export? On your side or on the IXP side in the looking glass?

The export counter on your side (eg. birdc show protocol all RSIXP on your router) indicates the number of routes you export to the Route Servers, not the routes the RS actually receives or accepts.
    If that export counter is 0 it means you export 0 prefixes, most likely your export policy/filter is not allowing them.

• @ruben said:

My BIRD says

Export updates: 1258788 1861 1256927 --- 0
    Export withdraws: 4606 --- --- --- 126580

And on the LocIX's looking glass also says 0

And my configuration

protocol static my_routes {
    ipv6;
    route [myipv6block]/48 via "ens20";
    }

filter export_my_routes {
    if proto = "my_routes" then {
    accept;
    }
    reject;
    }
    protocol bgp locix_02_v6 {
    local as OURASN;
    neighbor 2a0c:b641:701::a5:20:2409:2 as 202409;
    ipv6 {
    import all;
    export filter export_my_routes;
    };
    }

birdc show route export locix_02_v6 all should give you the routes you export to the RS.
    If you see your prefix there make sure you export it with the right next-hop to the IXP and else ask them why they filter it.

• @ruben
    em... The command show up as empty. Not sure why no route gets exported? Is my static configure and export filter wrong?

Most likely an issue with your export filter. Config you posted is a bit hard to read with missing indentations.
    Generally, also check if the prefix you want to export is in your routing table and is also the preferred prefix birdc show route myipv6block/48 will give you that info.
    As for filters;

filter export_my_routes {
        if proto = "my_routes" then accept;
        reject;
    }

should be enough or even just in the export filter:

export filter {
        if proto = "my_routes " then accept;
        reject;
    };

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited September 2022

[delete]

• BIRD 2.0.7 ready.
    Table master6:
    [myipv6]::/48   unicast [localmap 2022-09-01] ! (200)
            via [ip on this eth] on ens18
                         unicast [my_routes 16:02:34.890] (200)
            via [ip on this eth] on ens20

ens20 is the eth that connects to the IXP.

• For some reason, the route miraculously go through to IXP router. I don't even know what changed.