Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best VPS Provider for self hosted email? (IP Reputation)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best VPS Provider for self hosted email? (IP Reputation)

I intend to do fully self hosted email with mail-in-a-box or mailcow and my own domain.

Which provider would not have bad IP reputation by default?

Comments

• Im mainly thinking Hetzner or OVH right now, but I wonder if they are all banned/blacklisted by default.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Could also just set it up to send from SES so you don't have to worry about IP rep. Mailcow can do this super easy.

Thanked by 1Limpan
  • Your emails will go to spam folder of outlook/hotmail/office365 even if your IP reputation is good. It was almost impossible for us to whitelist our IP on micro$oft's platform back in the days my company decided to use self-hosted email. Switched to AWS SES later.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said:
    Im mainly thinking Hetzner or OVH right now, but I wonder if they are all banned/blacklisted by default.

OVH's ASN is still banned at Microsoft.

• How much does AWS SES cost for outgoing/incoming then?

• I've seen mailcow users recommend https://www.eth-services.de/ for their clean ips.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@Kousaka said:
    Your emails will go to spam folder of outlook/hotmail/office365 even if your IP reputation is good. It was almost impossible for us to whitelist our IP on micro$oft's platform back in the days my company decided to use self-hosted email. Switched to AWS SES later.

There is a process for this with M$ these days, and it works.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2022

@stefeman I have had good luck with IP's from Time4VPS (you have to use their KVM for MiaB) and also Lunanode.

If you are in US/Canada I can provide a coupon code for Lunanode, PM me for that.

A member/moderator of the MiaB discourse forum created a SMTP relay service which is inexpensive and works well. Although designed for MiaB it also works well with Mailcow.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:
    How much does AWS SES cost for outgoing/incoming then?

I pay like $2-3/m for SES for everything from ExtraVM.. between multiple different panels and automated email. Mailboxes are hosted on a $7 VPS with Mailcow, works great for a few months now.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Amazon SES cost peanuts 🥜

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2022

Outbound email is a pain. Just use an SMTP relay service.

I'm using Mailcow and route my outbound emails via MXRoute. SMTP2go also works well.

Thanked by 1Limpan
  • ultravps.eu (providerdienste.de) on their own network (de/nl location)