Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Courtesy Of GTHost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Courtesy Of GTHost

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited August 2022 in Offers

Hello!

I have a server kindly supplied by GTHost which I have been using for testing in connection with some of my articles written for Low End Box. It's the server identified as "Our Second Test Server" in Review of GTHost Servers -- Part II. The server has extra IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Right now it's running Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

To maximize the benefit to our community of GTHost's kindness, a few Members with records of positive contributions would be welcome to use the server together with me. If you are interested, please post in this thread or get in touch via PM or the email address on my profile.

Thanks to @GTHost for making the server available! <3

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

Thanked by 3Arkas miu machinetto

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

I don't know why, maybe I don't like talking about money, but I didn't want to put "free" into the OP. Yes, it's free, no charge, no commitments on either side, etc.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

grit.metalvps.com ?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited August 2022

grin.metalvps.com :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Looks like the first link to GTHost on the first message incorrectly leads to https://https//gthost.com :)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Fixed! Thanks!

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • emghemgh Member

Lol sharing servers is really your thing

• zedzed Member
    edited August 2022

i think these weird chatposts might be better on your leb blog thing, and try to make actual offer posts here in the offer section of let.. we should come up with some rules about this offer section eventually, just to keep it streamlined.

edit: nevermind, carry on, fixed it myself yay BetterLET.

Nobody has yet picked up on this opportunity to share a nice dedi server kindly provided by @GTHost. The only thing I am doing on it right now is testing -- not simultaneously and not continuously -- two, soon to be three, versions of Arc Forum software. These tests are not intensive and can run on any port. So there is a lot that is available if somebody with a record of positive community contributions wants to try something. :)

Friendly greetings! :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:
    grin.metalvps.com :)

grin has the G but lacks the T.
    That's why I suggested grit.

The T never can be lacking when Tom is here! :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Do I have the honor to share a server with the almighty Darkstar creator? I assume this is in Chicago which is the perfect location as I've been trying to find something there for my recent hobby, can provide more info if you're interested @Not_Oles.

This reminds me Freemach, which I was lucky to get one, but was idling it and let it go. After about a month after that I found a use case but it was all too late. (Whoever got that server when I let mine go, I hope you're enjoying it :p)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hi @TheOnlyDK! Welcome! Dunno about the "almighty." Yes, this server is listed as being in Chicago. You can post more info here in this thread if you like. Or send email or PM. You might wanna include an ssh public key since you're qualified for our 🚀 rocket 🚀 onboarding module. :) As always, thanks to @GTHost!

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @TheOnlyDK! Welcome! Dunno about the "almighty." Yes, this server is listed as being in Chicago. You can post more info here in this thread if you like. Or send email or PM. You might wanna include an ssh public key since you're qualified for our 🚀 rocket 🚀 onboarding module. :) As always, thanks to @GTHost!

Absolutely! Thanks @GTHost

Recently I've been playing with mptcp, this could very well be an exit point for that. Chicago is great for all the East coast traffic as I'm on the west. I'll PM you the public key.

Again, thanks to both @GTHost and @Not_Oles

@TheOnlyDK Login credentials sent via PM. Thanks!

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • mtdmtd Member

yes i am interested

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@mtd said:
    yes i am interested

Hi @mtd! Thanks for your interest! Thanks for talking with me via PM! Best wishes!

Right now, as I said above, the test server can run the original and the community fork of Arc Forum software. I posted about these on LEB at https://lowendbox.com/blog/use-arc-forum-or-anarki-to-make-your-own-hacker-news/ . As mentioned in the LEB article comments, there also is a second fork of Arc Forum which I also am going to try.

Last night I added Caddy, and I am going to try running Caddy as a reverse proxy to serve the Arc Forum versions via https. Maybe one at a time, or maybe all together, at least once, just for fun. :)

I expect that @TheOnlyDK might be doing some reboots to get mptcp into the running kernel? @TheOnlyDK and I have been talking about reinstalling the server. @TheOnlyDK has been added to the GTHost Control Panel to facilitate his rebooting and reinstalls.

@jason5545 Are you around? Might you be interested in helping to administer this test server? Thanks for considering the possibility!

Anybody else?

As always, thanks to @GTHost!

• I'm still trying to learn about MPTCP, so actual implementation on the server won't happen anytime soon (aka, I won't break the server that soon).

Thanks to @GTHost

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hi Guys!

@TheOnlyDK and I are looking for help configuring the server kindly contributed by @GTHost.

The plan has been to install the server with Proxmox and run OpenWRT as a Qemu KVM guest. Then OpenWRT should forward IPv4 ports and route an IPv6/64 subnet from the assigned /48 to each of the other Qemu KVM guests. The other Qemu KVM guests will be given out for free to interested members of the LET Community.

@TheOnlyDK has been doing the sysadmin work. The Proxmox install seemed to go okay. IPv4 port forwarding seems to work. IPv6 seems to work on the node. The problem seems to be routing the IPv6/64s through OpenWRT:

The part I get stuck on is get v6 public IP working on any interface that's not directly attached to the bridge interface at host (vmbr998 with vlan3007).

Does anybody with mad skillz want to come aboard and get the OpenWRT v6 routing working?

Thanks again to @GTHost for contributing the server! Thanks to @TheOnlyDK for lots of work to the benefit of our Community!

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Hey guys,

Just to clarify. The router (OpenWRT) can be replaced with anything, but I'd rather it be inside a VM for easy management.

Where I'm stuck is at delegating v6 prefix. Like @Not_Oles said, I have v6 working on the VM's WAN interface which is attached to the bridge interface for ipv6 from @GTHost. However, when I try to assign anything to LAN interface, it gets stuck. I played with routes and firewall rules, nothing is working (not sure if I did it right though).

TLDR: On router, WAN <-> LAN = no routes.

Special thanks to @GTHost for providing the server, and @yoursunny for giving me lots of help. I'm just not good enough to make it work :( Hoping someone with more talents on ipv6 can join us on this project!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@TheOnlyDK said: I'm just not good enough to make it work :(

A great way to learn is to try something and to make mistakes. ✅ You've been trying pretty hard! 🤩 I've learned to respect you for your diligence, persistence, openness, and integrity.

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK Peppery9
  • @Not_Oles said:

@TheOnlyDK said: I'm just not good enough to make it work :(

A great way to learn is to try something and to make mistakes.

True, but it'd be critical to find the solution to the mistakes made, in order to learn :)

You've been trying pretty hard! 🤩 I've learned to respect you for your diligence, persistence, openness, and integrity.

Thank you <3