Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VisionFive 2 live on Kickstarter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VisionFive 2 live on Kickstarter

PixelsPixels Member
edited August 2022 in General

It seems that the new VisionFive 2 is up on Kickstarter, with a much more attractive price tag than its predecessor.

Its specs are quite similar to the upcoming Pine64's Star64.

• Quad-core RISC-V running at 1.5GHz
  • 2/4/8GB RAM
  • x2 GigE ports
  • H.264 encode - H.264 / H.265 decode

Right now the only (affordable) RISC-V boards are based on the Allwinner D1 which is a single RISC-V core at 1GHz. Some examples are the MangoPi MQ Pro and the Lichee RV Pro.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starfive/visionfive-2/

Thoughts?

Thanked by 1rm_

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

They always leave out BT/Wi-fi
    No go from me.

• @Arkas said:
    They always leave out BT/Wi-fi
    No go from me.

Yes, that surprised me a bit.
    The VisionFive 1 did have built-in Wi-Fi but the VisionFive 2 does not, but it can be included with the M.2 slot.

Hopefully Pine64 won't make such compromises :P

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • $49 for the 4gb model is very appealing, but how well is RISC-V supported on linux? Also, how would performance compare to a similar ARM-based chip?

• @PineappleBox said:
    $49 for the 4gb model is very appealing, but how well is RISC-V supported on linux? Also, how would performance compare to a similar ARM-based chip?

Debian has supported RISC-V for quite a while now, with a surprising amount of packages readily available. You can see a pretty rough performance benchmark on the image above, faster than Cortex A55 cores but not as fast as RPi4's A72 cores. Thermals and power usage are yet to be seen.

Thanked by 1PineappleBox
  • I actually haven't touched RISC-V like... ever.

Anyone got a crash-course on it? From what I recall I thought RISC-V was a bit more specialized.

• skipping BT and WIFI makes import and export stuff much simpler with FCC etc... i actually prefer SBCs without them by default.

From my perspective.... on the lowend side.. the promise of RiscV vs ARM is that all the kernel development is going towards mainline linux...or at least tracking close to it....

a lot of the cheap ARM SoCs for SBCs (Amlogic, Rockchip, Allwinner) are typically geared towards cheap android devices... and the coorresponding vendor kernel is usually an Android Kernel from very different origins than mainline linux.

Ex: the Rockchip 5.10 vendor kernel isn't derived from mainline 5.10, but instead a 2.6.x derivative that has years of mainline functionality backported to make it work.

The chips do eventually get support into mainline linux, but it's usual over a longer period of time, and its seldom what any SBC vendor ships by default. Shoutout to libre.computer for living by their values and getting pure mainline support for their stuff.

Thanked by 1Pixels