Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU to choose for a cPanel server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

emilvemilv Member
edited June 2022 in General

Hi all, Im looking over Hetzner's Auction servers and I'm thinking about building a new server to run cPanel on. I'd like to get your thoughts on which CPU you would choose for this purpose.

Intel Xeon W-2145 or AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, which one would you choose? Im not just looking at the performance side of things but also reliability for example. :smile:

Thanks for your input.

1. Which CPU to choose for a cPanel server?41 votes
    1. Intel Xeon W-2145
      17.07%
    2. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
      82.93%

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If they're the same price or negligible, the Threadripper has double the cores/threads. If they're both in Hetzner, there is probably going to be no difference regarding reliability since they're probably build similarly.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Why not one of the AX servers? They should be faster at the same price.

• If you need more cores, then it's definitely AMD, plus now Intel has been stagnating for a long time. In general, you can look at the full comparative description on this site: https://technical.city/en/cpu/Xeon-W-2145-vs-Ryzen-Threadripper-2950X. For example in AMD Supported memory types - DDR4 Quad-channel. Maximum memory size - 2 TiB. Maximum memory bandwidth - 93.867 GB/s. When in Intel Supported memory types - DDR4. Maximum memory size - 512 Gb.Maximum memory bandwidth - 85.3 GB/s. For me personally, such a difference is significant, given that Intel is more expensive.

• AMD ftw.

• Hetzner allows servers to use as much power as needed or there is some sort of throttling?