Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZAP-Hosting Lifetime Minecraft Server is back (starts from 50€)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZAP-Hosting Lifetime Minecraft Server is back (starts from 50€)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2022 in General

The offer is available here. You need to apply code "GAMES-HOT" to get the discount.

Starts from 50€ (Germany location, default config).

Bought my lifetime MC server in December (?!) along with @Logano and some other LE users.
It has been a solid server so far and support is quick to reply (avg ticket response some 7-15 mins, during day time even 2-3 mins; sometimes even livechat is available). I recently experienced some performance issues but they migrated my server to another host system and now it runs quite smoothly :)

ZAP-Hosting is a long established Gameserver Host (one of the first ones I remember from Germany that were popular MC hosts along with Nitrado, G-Portal..).

If you are running a Minecraft Server with some Gameserver host, or want to run one, now might be a good time to settle for "lifetime" with a well established german provider and ditch energy price hikes from other gameserver providers where your monthly/yearly sub's price can change any time :)

According to ZAP there are more than 3000 active lifetime servers:

Thanked by 2Jamph Logano

Comments

• mhnmhn Member

Keep in mind that 2GB ram might be tough to use on newer versions of Minecraft even when playing just with a few friends, 3-4gb should be acceptable.

Thanked by 2MikeA Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said: ditch energy price hikes from other gameserver providers where your monthly/yearly sub's price can change any time

I don't think this is something game hosts really do lol

Thanked by 2Ympker drunkendog
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@mhn said:
    Keep in mind that 2GB ram might be tough to use on newer versions of Minecraft even when playing just with a few friends, 3-4gb should be acceptable.

Good advice, although when I was running a mc server for just the gf and myself with Aquatis.Host (previous host), I was running Paper mc on a 1024 RAM budget plan without issues. With ZAP you get 2GB by default and due to network issues they once gave me free credit which I used to upgrade to 3GB. Looking forward, I'd also recommend 3GB+ just to be safe.

@MikeA said:

@Ympker said: ditch energy price hikes from other gameserver providers where your monthly/yearly sub's price can change any time

I don't think this is something game hosts really do lol

We'll find out in January :P

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Hey wondering if anyone can help.

If I'm setting this up for my son what's the best Minecraft version to use and does it have to match the version he currently plays?

• mhnmhn Member

@Jamph said:
    Hey wondering if anyone can help.

If I'm setting this up for my son what's the best Minecraft version to use and does it have to match the version he currently plays?

Latest is best for normal gameplay. Version upgrading only works upwards (you cannot downgrade worlds). You can get optimized server software for any version starting with 1.8.8 here: https://papermc.io/legacy

Thanked by 3Ympker Jamph Logano
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@Jamph said:

I would opt for PaperSpigot. At least that's what I am running atm. I was told current Vanilla is resource heavier and tends to be buggy. PaperSpigot is apparently a fixed/optimized vanilla experience that is more light-weigth and also allows for modding(?!). One thing to consider might be whether your son got Minecraft Java or Minecraft from the Microsoft store. Depending on which one he has, perhaps he'd need another mc version. I habe mc java, so vanilla/paperspigot would work just fine. Microsoft version couldn't connect to my server though, iirc. If the has bought mc from the windows store it's best to ask their support what version is supported.

Regarding the version number, v1.92 is latest atm, however in the zap interface you can upgrade/downgrade to another version, import your world and then upgrade again. To import your world and players just connect via FTP and upload&replace the "world" folder. It will contain your son's map and player data.

Thanked by 2Jamph Logano
  • @Ympker said:

@Jamph said:

I would opt for PaperSpigot. At least that's what I am running atm. I was told current Vanilla is resource heavier and tends to be buggy. PaperSpigot is apparently a fixed/optimized vanilla experience that is more light-weigth and also allows for modding(?!).

If you don't need the latest version of MC try something like Cuberite. That's even more resource extensive and has most of the vital plugins.

Thanked by 2Logano Ympker
  • PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited August 2022

@Jamph said:

Used to admin a fairly large anarchy server (which was very intensive server-wise). Based off of my experience, PaperSpigot is the best software to run. I'd recommend using some optimizations referenced here: https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/guide-server-optimization⚡.283181/ . I'd also recommend purpur, a paper fork, if supported by the website. As for version- use the most recent version and make sure to stay up-to-date with paper. If your son or his friends also uses bedrock edition (The mobile/ Xbox version), then you can setup GeyserMC on a VPS; which is a proxy for allowing bedrock edition connections to java edition servers.

Thanked by 2Logano Jamph
  • mhnmhn Member

@webcraft said: If you don't need the latest version of MC try something like Cuberite. That's even more resource extensive and has most of the vital plugins.

Judging by the 500 open issues on github and being a built-from-scratch project I don't think it's gonna work pretty well in survival gameplay environments. I'd personally recommend https://github.com/pufferfish-gg/Pufferfish - fork of Paper and has a few extra performance tweaks.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited August 2022

Just remember every time you guys run a fork of a fork of a fork of a fork it takes longer for the patches to trickle downstream when updates hit.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@mhn said:

@webcraft said: If you don't need the latest version of MC try something like Cuberite. That's even more resource extensive and has most of the vital plugins.

Judging by the 500 open issues on github and being a built-from-scratch project I don't think it's gonna work pretty well in survival gameplay environments. I'd personally recommend https://github.com/pufferfish-gg/Pufferfish - fork of Paper and has a few extra performance tweaks.

Purpur is a fork of pufferfish, offers more customisation over the server

• Thanks all for the help, going off what you've all said and the fact he has the java edition I'm going to go with PaperSpigot :smile:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@Jamph said:
    Thanks all for the help, going off what you've all said and the fact he has the java edition I'm going to go with PaperSpigot :smile:

PaperSpigot seems like a good choice :)

@PineappleBox said:

@Jamph said:

Used to admin a fairly large anarchy server (which was very intensive server-wise). Based off of my experience, PaperSpigot is the best software to run. I'd recommend using some optimizations referenced here: https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/guide-server-optimization⚡.283181/ . I'd also recommend purpur, a paper fork, if supported by the website. As for version- use the most recent version and make sure to stay up-to-date with paper. If your son or his friends also uses bedrock edition (The mobile/ Xbox version), then you can setup GeyserMC on a VPS; which is a proxy for allowing bedrock edition connections to java edition servers.

I am running Paper and am quite happy. That being said, Purpur is available on ZAP site, too. Keep in mind you have to choose 1 of the various versions (vanilla, paper, purpur, feed the beast...) when ordering. If you want to later use another version you need to pay again for the convenience of switching versions with one click. You can, however, always use a custom .jar or other modifications via FTP. The version you select when ordering is just the one ZAP assumes you will be using and is the one you can reinstall, automatically update, downgrade etc in the control panel. I haven't tried this myself yet, but from my understanding you can still run a version different from the one you ordered. Afaik, monthly/yearly subbed servers have the convenience of switching between any mc variants (paper, spigot, purpur..) with the click of a button and free of charge. Lifetime users are "motivated" to buy another variant each time they want to use a variant they haven't paid for before to easily be able to manage it via control panel rather than messing with FTP. If you know your ways around FTP though, you should be able to do this just fine.

Thanked by 2PineappleBox Logano
  • szymonpszymonp Member
    edited August 2022

If you just want to play with friends, hypixel SMP is a lot cheaper (like 15$/lifetime on sale, and sales are common). Just no console access and no mod installs (you can edit some server settings with in-game commands, and the owner can give/take admin permissions).

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly Logano
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@szymonp said:
    If you just want to play with friends, hypixel SMP is a lot cheaper (like 15$/lifetime on sale, and sales are common). Just no console access and no mod installs (you can edit some server settings with in-game commands, and the owner can give/take admin permissions).

or just get the always free oracle arm one and run a mc server(currently running [email protected] with 3 friends).
    No lag(we don't have crazy redstone builds) and its optimized with paperchan's guide.
    https://paper-chan.moe/paper-optimization/

lifetime free-ish minecraft server

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Regarding Zap Hosting, if 3GB RAM isn't urgent for you, you can just get the 2GB version for now and wait for them to give away free credits for downtime. I've got $39 in credits which is enough to pay for the extra 1GB like @Ympker has done, even though I've missed a few of the giveaways. :)

My kids are more into Roblox these days, so the server is just sitting there for months at a time. If it's down, I just log in to the website and reboot. It's very nice to have the server just waiting for us to play without me having to shell out money every month.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@Logano said:
    Regarding Zap Hosting, if 3GB RAM isn't urgent for you, you can just get the 2GB version for now and wait for them to give away free credits for downtime. I've got $39 in credits which is enough to pay for the extra 1GB like @Ympker has done, even though I've missed a few of the giveaways. :)

Yeah, I bought the extra GB with credit I got from downtime I didn't notice (I did notice in uptimerobot, but didn't play on that day anyway.

My kids are more into Roblox these days, so the server is just sitting there for months at a time. If it's down, I just log in to the website and reboot. It's very nice to have the server just waiting for us to play without me having to shell out money every month.

The gf and I haven't played on the server for a couple months either, however, now a good friend said he was up for some mc, so we invited him over to our server and the three of us can play some mc together without having to shell out money again. Really love the "setup &forget" kinda thing when it comes to billing. Even if your kids are into Roblox now (is this a new mc or smth?), Minecraft will always be there and it's a game that'll just stick around for years to come imho. As long as ZAP also is around in the future, there are probably many more weeks/months of fun ahead on your mc server.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • I cant recommend them they are refusing to offer a full refund within the typical 14 days. Guess ill have to start a dispute..

• @jugganuts said:
    I cant recommend them they are refusing to offer a full refund within the typical 14 days. Guess ill have to start a dispute..

I was considering getting one to use very occasionally, what went wrong with yours? Why are they refusing refund?

• @jamespeach said:

@jugganuts said:
    I cant recommend them they are refusing to offer a full refund within the typical 14 days. Guess ill have to start a dispute..

I was considering getting one to use very occasionally, what went wrong with yours? Why are they refusing refund?

Their performance levels just won't meet my requirements so I requested to be refunded the next day after purchase so that way I wasn't an abusive customer they proceeded to say they give me account credits only.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@jugganuts said:

Contabo and others do the same though. Iirc you are usually refunded the full amount minus a sum depending on the allocated resources you had already used or that were allocated to you for a certain time (until you cancelled).

How much % of the full amount were you actually refunded/credited?

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • @jugganuts said:

@jamespeach said:

@jugganuts said:

Their performance levels just won't meet my requirements so I requested to be refunded the next day after purchase so that way I wasn't an abusive customer they proceeded to say they give me account credits only.

Check out this page. https://zap-hosting.com/guides/docs/en/account_termination_and_cancellation_period/

Not sure if it applies for the lifetime plans, but it doesn't specify anything special for them. I've seen comments from others saying that they complained about performance and were given an extra 1 GB of RAM.

Try to reference that page to see if it can assist with a refund. I wouldn't recommend doing a dispute right away, if you loose the case you may loose your money and the server.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

A cancellation is different from a Widerruf, though. Should probably have tried a Widerruf, if still possible.

Edit: seems like ZAP AGB (similar to Contabo) include a clause which says you waive your rights for the Widerruf by ordering their services. Not sure if this is, in fact, legal, however, I know I have seen several (german) hosting companies do smth like this.

To try performance, probably best is to first order a monthly vps and then, if satisfied, buy the lifetime.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited August 2022

@Ympker said:
    Even if your kids are into Roblox now (is this a new mc or smth?)

Yep, it has a slight edge in user numbers over MC, but it's pretty different. It's more about immediate fun and games rather than permanence, I think (I've only played a couple of hours).

Free, no need for separate server hosting, easy to start and easy to leave. No need to type so even my little one that can't read or type learns everything with no help. It's pretty much a huge bunch of user-created maps that play like Use Map Settings maps on Starcraft -- start with nothing, do stuff to progress, maybe fight other users, depending on the map.

The company makes money by selling Robux which in turn you buy p2w items with, and map makers can incorporate it and get commissions from sales. However, my kids have played more than a hundred hours each and we haven't spent a single cent. Speaking of which, Humble Bundle just released a course bundle that teaches kids how to code Roblox maps, so maybe I'll get my 10-yo. to learn some of it. Right now her only source of income is pulling out my white hairs for $0.25 each, so the Robux thing might be an incentive. :p

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • A cancellation is different from a Widerruf though. Should probably have tried a Widerruf if still possible > @Logano said:

@Ympker said:
    Even if your kids are into Roblox now (is this a new mc or smth?)

Yep, it has a slight edge in user numbers over MC, but it's pretty different. It's more about immediate fun and games rather than permanence, I think (I've only played a couple of hours).

Free, no need for separate server hosting, easy to start and easy to leave. No need to type so even my little one that can't read or type learns everything with no help. It's pretty much a huge bunch of user-created maps that play like Use Map Settings maps on Starcraft -- start with nothing, do stuff to progress, maybe fight other users, depending on the map.

The company makes money by selling Robux which in turn you buy p2w items with, and map makers can incorporate it and get commissions from sales. However, my kids have played more than a hundred hours each and we haven't spent a single cent. Speaking of which, Humble Bundle just released a course bundle that teaches kids how to code Roblox maps, so maybe I'll get my 10-yo. to learn some of it. Right now her only source of income is pulling out my white hairs for $0.25 each, so the Robux thing might be an incentive. :p

Thanks for explaining so thoroughly, mate :)
    Sounds like your kids (and you?) were having lots of fun. I know of something similar that is based on Unreal Engine and is called "Core". Probably the same concept. Maybe check it out? https://coregames.com/

I'm sure the humble bundle on how to code Roblox could be fun and beneficial for your kid. Why not give it a try? :P

Regarding the "nature" of Roblox/Core, I may be too "old" (25 y/o lol) for these type of games. In general, there seems to be a rising tendency towards games with little to no commitment (as you said "easy in & out"). Overall, rapid game-switching has become the norm. Often people only spend a couple of days in a new game before moving onto the next one. While the "no commitment" part is something I sometimes like (due to having little time to play), the pace at which people switch games or maps (in case of Roblox) is just too fast for my personal preferance. Don't get me wrong. My list of shame on Steam is vast and I also switch games after a couple months but a matter of hours/days is just really too fast imho.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @Ympker said:
    Sounds like your kids (and you?) were having lots of fun. I know of something similar that is based on Unreal Engine and is called "Core". Probably the same concept. Maybe check it out? https://coregames.com/

I'm sure the humble bundle on how to code Roblox could be fun and beneficial for your kid. Why not give it a try? :P

Regarding the "nature" of Roblox/Core, I may be too "old" (25 y/o lol) for these type of games. In general, there seems to be a rising tendency towards games with little to no commitment (as you said "easy in & out"). Overall, rapid game-switching has become the norm. Often people only spend a couple of days in a new game before moving onto the next one. While the "no commitment" part is something I sometimes like (due to having little time to play), the pace at which people switch games or maps (in case of Roblox) is just too fast for my personal preferance. Don't get me wrong. My list of shame on Steam is vast and I also switch games after a couple months but a matter of hours/days is just really too fast imho.

Core looks interesting!
    Regarding the "easy in & out" thing, the last time I had an ordeal with that was when I switched interests from MMORPGs to LoL in 2009. That didn't turn out the way I expected it to! ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Logano said:

@Ympker said:

Core looks interesting!
    Regarding the "easy in & out" thing, the last time I had an ordeal with that was when I switched interests from MMORPGs to LoL in 2009. That didn't turn out the way I expected it to! ;)

Yeah, Core looked pretty cool to the extent that I downloaded it and will try building some lvls as that, similar to mc, can be meditative :D

I started playing LoL towards the end of season 2 and stuck with it for a long while. It's consumed many hours of my life and at that time I also made the switch from MMOs (Everquest, Metin2, Runes of Magic, Tibia..) to LoL. What a time it was. The game is still installed on my pc today, but I only play once every other month with friends. Mostly playing Valorant, Tibia (MMORPG from 1997, would you believe it?) and Steam games now.

Thanked by 1Logano