Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CDN that supports IPv6 as origin other than Cloudflare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CDN that supports IPv6 as origin other than Cloudflare?

Hey LET,

For the love of IPv6, are there any CDN provider that supports IPv6 as origin other than Cloudflare?

Fastly and Gcorelabs confirmed that they don't support this feature as for now.

Many thanks,

Thanked by 1xms

Comments

• You can try Cloudfront.

• xmsxms Member

@mrclown said:
    You can try Cloudfront.

they dont support it.

page 32 - https://d1.awsstatic.com/whitepapers/IPv6-on-AWS.pdf

• Hey @cnbeining what kind of content are you spreading, how many pops would you need and how much traffic do you use? I'm still actively developing my CDN, it's very much in a ALPHA state, but it's capable of hosting production data and offer some form of DDoS protection (up to 80Gbit/s).

It only contains of 9 pops as of right now but expected to have 19 at the end of this month and growing. Ofcourse it's fully capable of supporting IPv6 as origin as well as serving, http/2 and quic, we can even host a WP Site on the edge if that is something you're looking for.

We're going to accept BETA signups very very soon - if you would be interested please let me know. You can choose to have your DNS also hosted at your own provider or with us.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @FoxelVox said:
    Hey @cnbeining what kind of content are you spreading, how many pops would you need and how much traffic do you use? I'm still actively developing my CDN, it's very much in a ALPHA state, but it's capable of hosting production data and offer some form of DDoS protection (up to 80Gbit/s).

It only contains of 9 pops as of right now but expected to have 19 at the end of this month and growing. Ofcourse it's fully capable of supporting IPv6 as origin as well as serving, http/2 and quic, we can even host a WP Site on the edge if that is something you're looking for.

We're going to accept BETA signups very very soon - if you would be interested please let me know. You can choose to have your DNS also hosted at your own provider or with us.

Thanks for the offer - I am trying to build sites with minimal amount of traffic on NAT VPS. Unfortunately the host(sorry @Cam ) does not have a shared IPv4 reverse proxy with customizable Host so I have to resort to IPv6. Do let me know if I can be in any way helpful :-)

Thanked by 2FoxelVox xms
  • Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent experiences to add.

Looking for a CDN (other than Cloudflare) that supports IPv6 for the origin.

• the last time I tested, gcorelabs cdn supports ipv6 origin

Thanked by 1josephb
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited August 2022

Not all of their nodes support IPv6, which means it'd fail if your origin is IPv6-only and your clients get pointed to a IPv4-only node. I noticed that issue before, not sure if @BunnySpeed have fixed it so they only get pointed to nodes that also have IPv6 support.

Thanked by 1xms
  • mwtmwt Member
    edited August 2022

@JeDaYoshi said:

Not all of their nodes support IPv6, which means it'd fail if your origin is IPv6-only and your clients get pointed to a IPv4-only node. I noticed that issue before, not sure if @BunnySpeed have fixed it so they only get pointed to nodes that also have IPv6 support.

I'm not sure it's possible to detect whether a client is IPv6 only. If you provide AAAA records, almost every client will use them because most clients use IPv6 by default. For clients with IPv4, this would often mean giving a suboptimal PoP.

I think that's why they give AAAA only if the closest PoP supports it.

• @cnbeining said: Unfortunately the host(sorry @Cam ) does not have a shared IPv4 reverse proxy with customizable Host

Cloudflare tunnel can let you host website without a public IP,any also hide your real ip

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited August 2022

@taizi said:

@cnbeining said: Unfortunately the host(sorry @Cam ) does not have a shared IPv4 reverse proxy with customizable Host

Cloudflare tunnel can let you host website without a public IP,any also hide your real ip

Right, but the entire premise of this thread is that they don't want Cloudflare, so that won't be very helpful to them. Cloudflare could already achieve their goal over IPv6 anyway, they want an alternative.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited August 2022

@mwt said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

I'm not sure it's possible to detect whether a client is IPv6 only. If you provide AAAA records, almost every client will use them because most clients use IPv6 by default. For clients with IPv4, this would often mean giving a suboptimal PoP.

I mentioned origin, not clients.
    Or, in other words: I believe it'd be better if Bunny just pointed clients to nodes that support both IPv4 and IPv6 so it can connect to IPv6-only origins, instead of pointing to IPv4-only nodes that cannot connect to the IPv6-only origin.

It's indeed complicate to detect whether the client is IPv6-only or not, but that's not the request in here.
    Understandably, it's better to give no AAAA record than giving one that might point to a suboptimal node if not all nodes have IPv6 - and that's fine, but becomes an issue when, because of said lack of IPv6 connectivity, it cannot reach the origin.

• mwtmwt Member
    edited August 2022

@JeDaYoshi said:

@mwt said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

I mentioned origin, not clients.
    Or, in other words: I believe it'd be better if Bunny just pointed clients to nodes that support both IPv4 and IPv6 so it can connect to IPv6-only origins, instead of pointing to IPv4-only nodes that cannot connect to the IPv6-only origin.

It's indeed complicate to detect whether the client is IPv6-only or not, but that's not the request in here.
    Understandably, it's better to give no AAAA record than giving one that might point to a suboptimal node if not all nodes have IPv6 - and that's fine, but becomes an issue when, because of said lack of IPv6 connectivity, it cannot reach the origin.

Oh, that's true. This would be pretty easy.

Maybe this can be fixed by setting an origin shield that supports IPv6? I think this would be the more optimal solution anyway.

@cnbeining If your server is in Paris, then the host shield with BunnyCDN probably works: https://support.bunny.net/hc/en-us/articles/360020604100-Understanding-Origin-Shield

You could also build something up on fly.io to reverse proxy your IPv6 nodes. That would work. It's free if you only use 3 PoPs.

• sotssots Member
    edited August 2022

I think Zenlayer is okay if you have enough money :)

• Seems none.
    But you can take Cloudflare as another CDN's source site.

• @Erisa said:

@taizi said:

@cnbeining said: Unfortunately the host(sorry @Cam ) does not have a shared IPv4 reverse proxy with customizable Host

Right, but the entire premise of this thread is that they don't want Cloudflare, so that won't be very helpful to them. Cloudflare could already achieve their goal over IPv6 anyway, they want an alternative.

Um, I tried on my ipv6 only VPS, it didn't work. IDK Why,

• @niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@taizi said:

I assume you're trying to use Cloudflare Tunnel on an IPv6 only machine? You need a very recent version of cloudflared and you may need to pass --edge-ip-version 6 to cloudflared before any command like tunnel, e.g. cloudflared --edge-ip-version 6 tunnel run.
    If you installed as a systemd service, you can use sudo systemctl edit --full cloudflared and edit the command in there to use it.

• @Erisa said:

@niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@taizi said:

I assume you're trying to use Cloudflare Tunnel on an IPv6 only machine? You need a very recent version of cloudflared and you may need to pass --edge-ip-version 6 to cloudflared before any command like tunnel, e.g. cloudflared --edge-ip-version 6 tunnel run.
    If you installed as a systemd service, you can use sudo systemctl edit --full cloudflared and edit the command in there to use it.

Oh, it was not mentioned in the official documentation. Also due to no ipv4, can't git clone as well.

• xmsxms Member

@niranjan said: Also due to no ipv4, can't git clone as well.

use via-ipv6

eg:git clone https://github.via-ipv6.com/cloudflare/cloudflared.git -6

or setup a public NAT64 from https://nat64.xyz/

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@taizi said:

Oh, it was not mentioned in the official documentation. Also due to no ipv4, can't git clone as well.

i use docker

• @taizi said:

@niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@niranjan said:

@Erisa said:

@taizi said:

i use docker

Enable and configure IPv6 in Docker (There should be articles online) and then do the same, adding to the commandline your container executes.

• @xms said:

@niranjan said: Also due to no ipv4, can't git clone as well.

use via-ipv6

eg:git clone https://github.via-ipv6.com/cloudflare/cloudflared.git -6

or setup a public NAT64 from https://nat64.xyz/

Oh, actually I can manually build but at the time of connection cloudflared uses ipv4 to connect to its servers, I'll send ss when i try next time.

• Update for BunnyCDN: support confirmed that most of their PoP don't support ipv6 yet, making them not compatible with an ipv6-only origin. No ETA on support.

Thanked by 2nick_ let_rocks