Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 22.04.1 is out, is it crazy to upgrade your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 22.04.1 is out, is it crazy to upgrade your VPS?

Just wanting to get a feel from those who have been running servers on older versions of the current OS. Is it best practice to stay put as long as the OS is supported? I always get the itch to upgrade once you can.

Comments

• This is a minor LTS update, same as you would get with apt update && apt upgrade,
    not a major jump. You should be fine.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I install the latest version on every VPS when it's initially setup, but don't rush with major upgrades.
    I consider a major version upgrade only after the existing version has less than half of its supported time.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited August 2022

@redcat said:
    Just wanting to get a feel from those who have been running servers on older versions of the current OS. Is it best practice to stay put as long as the OS is supported? I always get the itch to upgrade once you can.

It's standard practice to upgrade from one major Ubuntu LTS version (e.g., 20.04) to the next one (e.g., 22.04) after the .1 release, but it does require some attention and planning, so it's important to set aside a little time for this

(Then again, in this case at this time, there's no reason to rush to upgrade)

• @luckypenguin said:
    This is a minor LTS update, same as you would get with apt update && apt upgrade,

I'm talking about going from 20.04 to 22.04

• @redcat said: I'm talking about going from 20.04 to 22.04

Well that will slightly depend. If you have some custom stuff, like python scripts that require
    special version, kernel module that require special headers version, nftables is now the default
    firewall backend, etc.

Depends on your use case but I'd say you should generally be fine.

• LeviLevi Member

Not crazy, just go.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited August 2022

i update every new OS and kernel version release.

• Write a bash script, so you can clean install every version without problems.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

@yoursunny said: I install the >latest version on every VPS when it's initially setup, but don't rush with major upgrades.
    I consider a major version upgrade only after the existing version has less than half of its >supported time.

Anything Debian based like Ubuntu, I just go to the latest version. I have yet to encounter problems, however I have gravitated away from Ubuntu and use Debian proper now.

• pacman -S archlinux-keyring --noconfirm; pacman -Syyu --noconfirm
    I have a friend aliased this command as yolo and put it in .zshrc :D

• @lifehome said:
    pacman -S archlinux-keyring --noconfirm; pacman -Syyu --noconfirm
    I have a friend aliased this command as yolo and put it in .zshrc :D

Are you really comparing old as a dinosaur packages in Ubuntu to the bleeding
    edge Arch ones? This would be same as running Debian sid or Ubuntu rolling :)

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited August 2022

@redcat said:

@luckypenguin said:
    This is a minor LTS update, same as you would get with apt update && apt upgrade,

I'm talking about going from 20.04 to 22.04

If you can deal with possible problems today then update today, because you wont be rushed to do it, exploits still will be patched on both versions.

If you will terminate instance in one/two years then don't bother to update

I noticed better CPU performance on 22.04 compared to 20.04 on both Intel & AMD systems

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2022

I had a Debian system that started with Wheezy (5.0) in 2013 and was upgraded all the way through Bullseye (11.0) in 2021 with no issues. I've heard some things are more likely to break with Ubuntu, but it should mostly be the same.

The main issues I usually encounter during upgrades are packages from third-party repositories that require old, non-ABI compatible versions of common libraries like cURL or OpenSSL, in the case where Debian only has one version packaged. These will hold back parts of the upgrade and will need to be updated at some point.

@AXYZE said: I noticed better CPU performance on 22.04 compared to 20.04 on both Intel & AMD systems

There were a bunch of performance improvements for AMD Zen3 in the 5.10 kernel, and some improvements for both Intel and AMD in 5.17. There's probably been other minor improvements in other versions too. AMD got some big improvements in 5.19 too, but I don't think any distro is using it yet as it's the very latest version.

• I just upgraded my oracle vm and was quick and painless. It didn't have anything vital, will probably wait before I upgrade my webserver.