Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

another fiber cut..? EU <-> APAC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

another fiber cut..? EU <-> APAC

edited August 2022 in Outages

phone vibrated like crazy since 11:11am UTC, only to see crazy latency bump & packet loss between EU <-> APAC.

another fiber cut? anyone noticing this too?

smokeping from clouvider:

Thanked by 1OhJohn

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yeah I'm currently experiencing high latency and packet loss between my jump server in SG and my jump server in EU (FR).

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

Yeah, I'm seeing 330ms and about 15% loss from France to SG, routed the long way round via US.

• confirmed by OVH, they lost their "leased fiber" too

https://network.status-ovhcloud.com/incidents/vsk4f2gpyjxk

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited August 2022

Does look like it, a quarter of my packets are being dropped when connecting to EU servers from my home internet

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Yup, traffic is going via the US for us currently. We're not seeing any significant packet loss / congestion but there is increased latency from the longer distance.

• @jackb said:
    Yup, traffic is going via the US for us currently. We're not seeing any significant packet loss / congestion but there is increased latency from the longer distance.

HE?

NTT and telia still uses the middle east route instead of the pacific-atlantic one (as i'm writing this one)

• yeh ovh france to SGP Aws looks like 20% packet loss.

• 50kbps download from B2 to my vps on SG

• @nanankcornering said: anyone noticing this too?

NetCup(DE) -> Misaka(SG)

• OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited August 2022

Backends rerouted from EU to US for Asia, cutting latency by 50%. Thanks for bringing this up.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@nanankcornering said:

@jackb said:

HE?

Core-Backbone.

• LisoLiso Member

@umzak said:
    50kbps download from B2 to my vps on SG

How much you usually get for dl speed from B2 had there is no congestion? I'm curious because I'm considering purchasing B2 and I live in apac (Indonesia).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@EvolutionHost France went down for three hours but came back.
    Its route to @NDTN Singapore is going through Cogent USA, in both directions.
    What a disaster!

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

It's the AAE1 cable, multiple cuts and is likely to take a few days to fix.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited August 2022

Ok i think now is the right time to ask this but what is upstream provider as I always get confused about them. Like Cogent, HE are upstream providers right?
    So that means they are responsible for physical medium like fiber optic? Or physical medium like fiber has nothing to do with it and it is actually about bandwidth/data that goes through it?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So as a species, we snake cable through the freakin' Suez Canal and across the Indian Ocean to get data from EU to SG, rather than running it across the land in between because we can't get along. I mean, obviously, you have to go undersea at some point to reach Singapore, but wouldn't it be better to run the cables on land all the way to SE Asia and then to Singapore...?

Or is there actually any advantage to submarine vs. land cables?

Or is it just that there are too many sovereigns in between...

• @Liso said:

@umzak said:
    50kbps download from B2 to my vps on SG

How much you usually get for dl speed from B2 had there is no congestion? I'm curious because I'm considering purchasing B2 and I live in apac (Indonesia).

I usually use rclone, about 30MB/s

now, I'm also having trouble transfering files from LA (racknerd) to SG (greencloud), 20kbps

Transferred:        1.652 MiB / 115.039 MiB, 1%, 22.055 KiB/s, ETA 1h27m44s
    Transferred:            0 / 1, 0%
    Elapsed time:        52.7s

• Looks like all clear to me now.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yeah, looks like it's back to normal now.

• If anyone didn't notice this by now, https://blog.cloudflare.com/aae-1-smw5-cable-cuts/

• @Otus9051 said:
    If anyone didn't notice this by now, https://blog.cloudflare.com/aae-1-smw5-cable-cuts/

Look at the date. That's June 10th.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@Otus9051 said:
    If anyone didn't notice this by now, https://blog.cloudflare.com/aae-1-smw5-cable-cuts/

oops

• @Otus9051 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Otus9051 said:

oops

lmao

• Yes. My Leaseweb SG got some RTOs to WebHorizon's Poland yesterday

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    So as a species, we snake cable through the freakin' Suez Canal and across the Indian Ocean to get data from EU to SG, rather than running it across the land in between because we can't get along. I mean, obviously, you have to go undersea at some point to reach Singapore, but wouldn't it be better to run the cables on land all the way to SE Asia and then to Singapore...?

I guess the two main points, other than territorial issues, are (a) it's actually cheaper, and (b) it's actually safer than land lines.

• @raindog308 said:

that image just show sea cable, not land one. (unless you think there is no cross-USA cable at all)
    https://www.infrapedia.com/app has map with land ones included

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I see a spike around 12:00 CET to over 200ms, however its back to 160ms from Europe.

• wondering what was the cause.. seems radio silent compared to the fiber cut incident weeks ago

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@raindog308 said:

Legacy could be one of the factors, maybe some old maritime agreements below is map of undersea cable/telegraph network, circa 1901. Not too different from today’s internet cable infrastructure .

Thanked by 2MannDude that_guy
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2022

@raindog308 said:

Where's the cuts happening, in the middle or at the ends?

I would imagine being on floor of ocean is less disturbed than above ground and exposed to more elements. The exposed parts being from floor to land.