Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosthatch vs Contabo ? Which one is better ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosthatch vs Contabo ? Which one is better ?

Hi All,
I want to ask a question, which one is better, Contabo or Hosthatch?
I want to order high ram vps in singapore.
For $69/mo Hosthatch offer

16 AMD EPYC Milan core
(8 dedicated, 8 fair-shared cores)
96 GB DDR4 RAM
250 GB NVMe Storage
20 TB bandwidth

Contabo offers VPS in Singapore with specs

10 vCPU Cores
60 GB RAM
400 GB NVMe
4 Snapshots
32 TB Traffic Unlimited Incoming
for $59/mo

Which one do you think is better?

I Need this vps to host 100++ wordpress blog, that have an average of 200 visitors each

Comments

• now this is a tough question....

• Netcup

Thanked by 1morreke
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I think that many here would recommend the HostHatch one, if there were not doubts about their support (taking very long or not responding at all) and I even heard questions asking whether they are going belly up.

So, it seems the right answer is Contabo. Some will advise against them too, usually talking about overselling and high variance in performance, but I guess almost every minus is more acceptable than (supposedly) going belly up.

I benchmarked both providers, incl. VPS in SGP, and would put both in the top 25%.

Personal remarks: I have machines with both and my experience has been between very good and excellent with both providers, but then I don't need support frequently. What I do not like with Contabo is that they seem still not to have proper and adequate node monitoring, so if you happen to be on one with an abuser it may take a while for them to react or, alternatively, you can ask to be transferred to another node.
    And what I do not like with HostHatch is that there are threads asking whether they are still alive plus not exactly many and not exactly quick responses from HostHatch.
    But again, I'm very happy with my VPS from both so far and have nothing to complain about.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • If it's between these two, I'd pick HostHatch in terms of performance.

• I've never used both, but considering the specifications, I think Hosthatch is better than Contabo because of the dedicated cores and more RAM.

Thanked by 12bluesc
  • LisoLiso Member

@CalmDown said:
    Netcup

NetCup does not provide singapore server

• LeviLevi Member

Sometimes Contabo can be cuntabo but they are miles and miles better than Hosthatch. Believe me, when it comes to basic support - avoid HH like hell.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ alilet
  • So basically if we talk about server perfomance, HH is better. From what i heard from hosthatch, their normal plan have better support than promo plan. They also said their promo plan basically have no support at all.
    Anyone here use HH normal plan?

• I use both, Hosthatch have much better network to Indonesia (if you concern about visitor from indo) and using it for 1 month nothing weird happen.
    And for contabo itself in Cloud VPS have very noisy neighbour (tested on VPS M), after migrate to VDS all going smooth.

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • With that price, why don't you get a dedicated server from OVH?
    Their Rise-Apac servers will be able to handle even 1000+ WordPress sites that have 200 visitors per hour

• emgemg Veteran

I do not have a horse in this race and no experience with either, but I have seen lots of complaints about both.

When I saw the subject of this thread I wondered whether the subject should have been: "Hosthatch vs Contabo ? Which one is less bad ?"

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@emg said: When I saw the subject of this thread I wondered whether the subject should have been: "Hosthatch vs Contabo ? Which one is less bad ?"

Just do a quick search on LET and you'll quickly get your answer. Out of these 2, Contabo is better IMO.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2022

@jsg said:
    And what I do not like with HostHatch is that there are threads asking whether they are still alive plus not exactly many and not exactly quick responses from HostHatch.

I will add some info here.

Most complaints are about promotional services, and does not apply to normally priced servers on our website. And over 90% of those requests are related to IPv6 issues.

There are people with totally genuine problems that we haven't resolved on time, but I do not really have it in me to reply to every thread anymore, especially since they are filled with troll attempts from people who have never even used our service and are just in it for the drama that ensues.

Case in point, this is coming from a user who has never used a HostHatch service and has no experience with neither normal nor promotional services:

@LTniger said: Sometimes Contabo can be cuntabo but they are miles and miles better than Hosthatch. Believe me, when it comes to basic support - avoid HH like hell.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Arkas said:

@emg said: When I saw the subject of this thread I wondered whether the subject should have been: "Hosthatch vs Contabo ? Which one is less bad ?"

Just do a quick search on LET and you'll quickly get your answer. Out of these 2, Contabo is better IMO.

OP need to do research 👍👌

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • raviravi Member

@hosthatch is good, but extremely slow support.
    I have a Singapore vps from them and its working perfectly.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @comXyz said:
    With that price, why don't you get a dedicated server from OVH?
    Their Rise-Apac servers will be able to handle even 1000+ WordPress sites that have 200 visitors per hour

OVH rise server only have 10 TB bandwith ><
    i like to backup my server everday and it ate a lot bandwith

• Where is the vote ?

@hosthatch said:

@jsg said:

Most complaints are about promotional services, and does not apply to normally priced servers on our website. And over 90% of those requests are related to IPv6 issues.

There are people with totally genuine problems that we haven't resolved on time, but I do not really have it in me to reply to every thread anymore, especially since they are filled with troll attempts from people who have never even used our service and are just in it for the drama that ensues.

I understand that position very well, but still, you are a provider (and a well known and not small one at that), so people do expect at least occasional responses. Not providing them, no matter how well that could be understood on a personal level, tends to lead to quite ugly results, as you've certainly seen.

That said, you reacted within less than 2 hours to this thread here which in my book is a big fat plus ;)

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Here is what I can offer you OP:

Feel free to sign up from the website and create the VM, and report back here after a month what your experience was. I will refund you 100% of the first month's cost of the VM, regardless of whether your experience was positive or negative.

I could just offer you a free VM for a month, but then I will know who you are and it is easy to put you on a different node and provide better support :)

I do not know who you are so there is no way for us to influence your results with my offer.

Either way - all the best to you. I will show myself out before the boys get here.

• nvmenvme Member

May be check with @speedypage , they have recently launched SG location

• @hosthatch said:

Feel free to sign up from the website and create the VM, and report back here after a month what your experience was. I will refund you 100% of the first month's cost of the VM, regardless of whether your experience was positive or negative.

I could just offer you a free VM for a month, but then I will know who you are and it is easy to put you on a different node and provide better support :)

I do not know who you are so there is no way for us to influence your results with my offer.

Either way - all the best to you. I will show myself out before the boys get here.

Wow, i Will try to sign up tomorrow
    Thanks for your offer

• I think I have 80+ services with Hosthatch. The support on regular plans gets replies within 24 hours. The fastest I get is 17 minutes for first reply. The promo plans has support but takes too long for replies and resolution.

Since you are going for the regular plans then you should be good if you expect within 24 hours reply.

For Singapore we also use the others
    Vultr
    OVH
    Leaseweb
    Greencloud
    PhotonVPS

Thanked by 2hosthatch Daniel15

@permatahost said:

@hosthatch said:

Wow, i Will try to sign up tomorrow
    Thanks for your offer

FWIW: yep, when I benchmarked (9 locations iirc) HostHatch VPS they did pretty much the same, they wanted to make sure that my benchmarks were not done on some "special" servers but on servers actually used by customers. I valued that attitude highly and still to this day have HostHatch / @hosthatch as a "nothing up their sleeves" honest provider in my books.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • LeviLevi Member

@hosthatch said:

@jsg said:

Case in point, this is coming from a user who has never used a HostHatch service and has no experience with neither normal nor promotional services:

@LTniger said: Sometimes Contabo can be cuntabo but they are miles and miles better than Hosthatch. Believe me, when it comes to basic support - avoid HH like hell.

You have no clue who are using your services. Take a chill pill.

• Your experience with Contabo will vary based on luck.

I have had one VPS idling away for months without any issues, looked great in benchmarks, was lucky to be on a good node. I decided to upgrade it to deploy some stuff on it, and ended up on a node with very high steal, and intermittent network issues were my bandwidth was reduced to < 40 Mbps. Support is almost non existent. My VPS was in a stuck in a unbootable state because their OS reinstall failed, it kept failing no matter how many times I tried. It took support 2 days to fix it. Their systems are far from perfect, once they wiped and reinstalled my VPS without any such request from me, and support doesn't even bother to respond.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

@itsnotv said: Support is almost non existent

Once more :wink:

Thanked by 1jsg
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@permatahost said:

@comXyz said:
    With that price, why don't you get a dedicated server from OVH?

OVH rise server only have 10 TB bandwith ><
    i like to backup my server everday and it ate a lot bandwith

There is thing called deduplication.

• nobizzlenobizzle Member
    edited August 2022

Sorry.. comparing Contabo and HH is ridiculous. From all providers that I know of, and I had a lot in the past, I'd never go with Contabo. There were a lot of benchmarks in the past indicating disks slower than my HDD in my EEE PC from 2009.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@hosthatch said: And over 90% of those requests are related to IPv6 issues.

Have you considered fixing your IPv6 issues? This would immediately resolve about 90% of your open tickets.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 foitin
  • ralfralf Member

@nobizzle said:
    There were a lot of benchmarks in the past indicating disks slower than my HDD in my EEE PC from 2009.

My memory is failing me now, but didn't the EEE have an SSD? Although there were about a billion models, so I guess there probably was an HDD one too.