Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

parallel computing on windows
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

parallel computing on windows

this is kinda noob question but,

lets say i have a windows machine running in my office and because of its physical nature, i cannot just move my pc to and fro to another location for security/power/electricity considerations.

i have thought about buying a VPS for this purpose but i have some hardware so it wont cost me much to use them.

so the question is this

1. i have a windows machine that i would want to somehow "mirror" it as a backup that i would be placing at a remote location as against the primary machine in office.
  2. the primary machine is already running so in case it goes down because of power or something, the secondary machine would kick up.
  3. i have the static IP of the primary machine hooked up to thin client users within the local network which uses zerotier so would it be possible to have the secondary machine adopt the static IP of primary one?
  4. i would probably be using something like a load balancer or a gateway machine but i am not sure if windows allows such architecture.
  5. the primary windows machine is a regular windows LTSC running around 10-12 remote clients so we get occasional downtime every often and i would like to somehow mitigate that

Comments

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

Are you looking for an official MS solution or just a hacky workaround to accomplish the workload somehow? Look into Hyper-V replica, if you have AD/Terminal Services, you can't just divert users to another IP and hope everything "just works".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/set-up-hyper-v-replica

• hacky workaround would be better

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

Get a VPS from a rock-solid provider with 99.99% uptime SLA.
    You know, such as Virmach ;) :trollface:

Set your AD and all domain related stuff there, then make your SMB shares/whatever
    else is role based to authenticate against that server.
    Same, but more stable/expensive - Azure Active Directory Domain Services, they have
    free trials thou.

• @luckypenguin i can't use a VPS, i already run a bunch from racknerd and they are for email and other software.
    i have to use my machines OFFLINE or at least be able to hook up a network ad-hoc style on a whim because i do not live in a nice place and internet is not a utility here.

• @john_sd3 said: running around 10-12 remote clients

@john_sd3 said: i have to use my machines OFFLINE or at least be able to hook up a network ad-hoc style

Sorry but I lost you here. Do you have a sketch of what you have in mind, at least in theory?

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited August 2022

What kind of services run on the machine that you would like to failover? What are "remote clients", like people that RDP into the machine?

• @jmgcaguicla @luckypenguin i run a windows machine and "thin clients" simply RDP into it to work.
    since they are in office anyways, they just do 192.168.29.31 to the server and use their credentials on the machine user account.

i added zerotier a few years ago, before the pandemic and now anyone from anywhere can do this. the problem is when the "server" goes offline.

i have this machine set up at home and my remote hands are my mum who has to go in, check the internet connection, check if the machine has power or not, it needs a percussive maintenance and other things.

the secondary "machine" i am thinking of keeping at 1-2 places so that if the primary machine goes down, i can keep working without the downtime which usually is 10min - 2hours

• @john_sd3 said: my remote hands are my mum who has to go in, check the internet connection, check if the machine has power or not

That's a very solid NOC team operations you got there going my friend.
    Sounds like an entry level UPS+backup router over 3G/LTE is best thing you can do.

• VoidVoid Member
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said:
    Get a VPS from a rock-solid provider with 99.99% uptime SLA.
    You know, such as Virmach ;) :trollface:

They have 100% uptime SLA now.

Thanked by 1yoursunny