Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap UK colo with US prices?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap UK colo with US prices?

HarmonyHarmony Member
edited August 2022 in Help

What do you guys suggest? Everyone that has gotten back to be seems to charge a bit too much for my liking and then there are some budget providers like https://servacus.co.uk/ that have quoted me

Size: 21U
Amps: 13A [A+B] (240v)
Network: 10Gbps Unmetered
£800

I really like their path.net option that's provided but I can't find much info about them and they are using OVH to host their website which seems sketchy. Are there risks in small companies like this stealing your hardware?

UKServers got back to me with the following, is it reasonable? I am worried about the BW usage.

11U (Quarter Rack) - £100/Month
2 x 9 Way Vertical IEC PDUs each with 9 Ways and 16A Breakers
2 x 30 Min Basic Hands Request/Month

Power - £45/AMP/Month
250Mbit Commitment - £150/Month with Overages @ £0.7/Mbit
500Mbit Commitment - £250/Month with Overages @ £0.6/Mbit

Comments

• @stratagem is not bad. But I only have their vps tho.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I've seen Servacus around a few times, they are definitely a bit of a weird company but I don't think they are super sketchy. Them being singlehomed to Path.net is honestly a big turn off for me - the DDoS protection is lovely, but trusting all network connectivity to a single source is a bit worrying.

Their "datacentre" is more of an office on an industrial estate, at least from what I have seen so far (willing to be proven wrong). Not a large scale DC, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've worked with companies that operate in a similar way in the past - and they never robbed any hardware but they also ended up folding in a few years and I had to go on an emergency rescue mission.

That being said, the UK is not a cheap place to co-locate - power here is very expensive and land here isn't super cheap either. Expect to pay for it.

• @LordSpock said: I've worked with companies that operate in a similar way in the past - and they never robbed any hardware but they also ended up folding in a few years and I had to go on an emergency rescue mission.

For some reason. This just triggered BurstNET flashbacks for me.

Thanked by 1LordSpock

@HalfEatenPie said:

@LordSpock said: I've worked with companies that operate in a similar way in the past - and they never robbed any hardware but they also ended up folding in a few years and I had to go on an emergency rescue mission.

Ah, the good old days. I was so lucky not to have been caught out by that.

--

Also, I forgot to add - if you want a UK datacentre for latency reasons, if it isn't in London - you're probably actually better off in Europe. Servacus seems to be a few ms extra away than Amsterdam (from THN) -- same story for a lot of the other midlands DCs like those in Coventry.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited August 2022

@LordSpock said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@LordSpock said: I've worked with companies that operate in a similar way in the past - and they never robbed any hardware but they also ended up folding in a few years and I had to go on an emergency rescue mission.

--

Also, I forgot to add - if you want a UK datacentre for latency reasons, if it isn't in London - you're probably actually better off in Europe. Servacus seems to be a few ms extra away than Amsterdam (from THN) -- same story for a lot of the other midlands DCs like those in Coventry.

If you have any suggestions in Amsterdam with some decent DDoS protection I maybe open to that.

I'm looking for something along the lines of

10-13U
    11A
    10Gbps port 600 TB

• @LordSpock said:
    I've seen Servacus around a few times, they are definitely a bit of a weird company but I don't think they are super sketchy. Them being singlehomed to Path.net is honestly a big turn off for me - the DDoS protection is lovely, but trusting all network connectivity to a single source is a bit worrying.

Their "datacentre" is more of an office on an industrial estate, at least from what I have seen so far (willing to be proven wrong). Not a large scale DC, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've worked with companies that operate in a similar way in the past - and they never robbed any hardware but they also ended up folding in a few years and I had to go on an emergency rescue mission.

That being said, the UK is not a cheap place to co-locate - power here is very expensive and land here isn't super cheap either. Expect to pay for it.

I had a look at Servacus since they're relatively close to me, their postcode just came up with an old manor house somewhere, not exactly a DC in my mind. Also their IPs seem to come back as BT which was a bit worrying.

@bluehairminerboy said:

@LordSpock said:

I had a look at Servacus since they're relatively close to me, their postcode just came up with an old manor house somewhere, not exactly a DC in my mind. Also their IPs seem to come back as BT which was a bit worrying.

That's their 'Rothwell' DC, they also claim to have a couple in Kettering - one being:

Unit 6 Cherry Hall Road, KETTERING, Northamptonshire NN14 1UE

This looks a bit more professional, but is basically just office space with some racks in I assume.

• I have a quarter rack with servacus. Have had it for almost a year now. No complaints from me. Liam provides a great service and they've been growing pretty quickly.

Definitely worth a punt depending on what you're trying to do.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • @LordSpock said:

@bluehairminerboy said:

@LordSpock said:

That's their 'Rothwell' DC, they also claim to have a couple in Kettering - one being:

Unit 6 Cherry Hall Road, KETTERING, Northamptonshire NN14 1UE

This looks a bit more professional, but is basically just office space with some racks in I assume.

Hmm interesting, I'm considering sticking a tower in there since it's probably cheaper than the electricity cost to run the thing at the moment

Thanked by 1LordSpock

@Harmony said:

@LordSpock said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

--

If you have any suggestions in Amsterdam with some decent DDoS protection I maybe open to that.

10-13U
    11A
    10Gbps port 600 TB

I know @VPSSLIM here does colocation in The Netherlands at a reasonable rate.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2022

@LordSpock said:

@Harmony said:

@LordSpock said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

--

10-13U
    11A
    10Gbps port 600 TB

I know @VPSSLIM here does colocation in The Netherlands at a reasonable rate.

Thanks for the mention. Yes we offer colocation in two NL Locations in our own network. (So also DDOS protection and IP Transit when needed).

@Harmony if you are interested please send me a message or e-mail and I'll arrange a quote for you.

• ralfralf Member

@LordSpock said:

Just to add weight to this, most residential ISPs in the UK route all their traffic via London, so I've never really understood the advantages of having datacentres in other locations, other than for cost of land.

As an example, ping times from my house to a VPS a couple of miles away from me is 12.6ms, but ping times to my OVH server in GRA is only 11.4ms and RBX 12.5ms. For all of these, 7.5ms is the cost for my ISP down to London.

Thanked by 2LordSpock Jake4
  • I hosted my servers with Servacus for around a year before i get fed up and moved my kit out. When i first moved my servers they could not get me online for a whole month as their DC was shut down by the police, never really got the real reason to why.

Constant downtime, i couldnt get a month without 2-3 hours downtime in which ISP issues, PATH issues, PDU Failures, overheating..

Constant overheating issues in which they "moved" my servers around but never really made any difference (30-36 degrees C inlet temps) but made total sense when i visited their Kettering DC to collect my equipment, the whole DC was cooled by the outside air, windows fully open. Soon as you park outside you can hear servers on full blast trying to keep cool, if i threw a water balloon i could hit multiple servers...

Theres no security, a single glass door could get you inside the building or just grab a ladder and climb into the server room, a young teenager answered the door in which didnt know his arse from his elbow.

They have no redundancy, their DC is an office.

Support was also shockingly bad, 2 days for a ticket reply in most cases. Multiple times my equipment was offline yet wanted to charge for a tech to look into the issue even tho the issue was their side.

They really are cheap for a reason.

Ran by a bunch of monkeys

• @Jnnw123 said:
    I hosted my servers with Servacus for around a year before i get fed up and moved my kit out. When i first moved my servers they could not get me online for a whole month as their DC was shut down by the police, never really got the real reason to why.

Constant downtime, i couldnt get a month without 2-3 hours downtime in which ISP issues, PATH issues, PDU Failures, overheating..

Constant overheating issues in which they "moved" my servers around but never really made any difference (30-36 degrees C inlet temps) but made total sense when i visited their Kettering DC to collect my equipment, the whole DC was cooled by the outside air, windows fully open. Soon as you park outside you can hear servers on full blast trying to keep cool, if i threw a water balloon i could hit multiple servers...

Theres no security, a single glass door could get you inside the building or just grab a ladder and climb into the server room, a young teenager answered the door in which didnt know his arse from his elbow.

They have no redundancy, their DC is an office.

Support was also shockingly bad, 2 days for a ticket reply in most cases. Multiple times my equipment was offline yet wanted to charge for a tech to look into the issue even tho the issue was their side.

They really are cheap for a reason.

Ran by a bunch of monkeys

I didn't take your advice and now I feel very stupid. their support is too slow