Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xv6 Study Group Seems to Be Starting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xv6 Study Group Seems to Be Starting

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hello!

Awhile back I mentioned that I have been wanting to try MIT's Xv6 course. Then I set up qemu to run Xv6.

Yesterday HN user memorable posted on HN about Xv6, and I asked in that thread whether anyone from HN might want to join a study n group for the course. Ten people asked to join and three reached out to say hello.

My idea is to start on the course itself tomorrow or the next day. I expect to invest at least an hour a day in the course itself. I also expect to post my notes and progress somewhere.

We can fill in the group structure as we go along. Maybe we all can keep in touch via email, irc, Jitsi, a forum thread, or set up our own Xv6 study group forum?

If you are interested, please send me a PM or else use the email on my profile.

I am delighted to be in contact with so many other students! We have room for a few more if anyone else wants to join. Thank you all so much! 🙌

Thanked by 1LordSpock

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

So far, 14 guys plus myself in the Xv6 Study Group.

The group now has a web page: https://metalvps.com/Xv6

Friendly greetings from New York City and Sonora! 🗽🇺🇸🇲🇽🏜️

edited August 2022

The clueless™ guy managed to get through the first lecture! :) Soon it's time to try the first lab. How is your C? Maybe Xv6 provides a helpful context within which to learn some C? I tried to learn C awhile back, but without a specific project for context beyond reading programming books. Best wishes! :)

edited August 2022

Hello! I got a copy of K&R. This morning I also bought some Xv6 related domains. I've been testing the Arc Forum software. Maybe the Xv6 study group is going to have a forum? The Xv6 study group seems to have email traffic several times a week. I've been looking at sr.ht. I'm working on the demo code from the first Xv6 lecture. Best wishes! :)

• emgemg Veteran

@Not_Oles said: Hello! I got a copy of K&R. [...]

Allow me to share a great reference book for C programmers:

C, A Reference Manual, Fifth Edition by Samuel P. Harbison and Guy L. Steele.
    ISBN 0-13-089592-X

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@emg Thank you. I got a copy and have been looking at sections 5.3 and 5.3.1 on pointers and generic pointers. Best from Sonora! 🚵

Thanked by 1emg