Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is DDoS protection to you when ordering a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important is DDoS protection to you when ordering a VPS?

For us that we have been customers in this industry for a long time, we have seen how DDoS protection is more common now (included) in low end offerings, from it being not available, to then it being a paid addon, and then it being included by default.

Is DDoS protection a major element that influences your buy action when looking at the low end VPS offers?

Poll attached. Hopefully it works.

DDoS importance in low end VPS offers
  1. Is DDoS protection a major element that influences your buy action when looking at low end offers?105 votes
    1. Yes, I wouldn't buy a VPS without filtering included.
      40.95%
    2. No, I can do my own filtering. I want cheap as possible.
      45.71%
    3. I don't know what DDoS protection is... But I never needed it.
      13.33%

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2022

Missing option: My use case does not require anti-ddos and/or I don’t offer public services on vps.

Shit poll and shit thread. Sage and hide.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@stefeman hmm ok. You can fit that one in the "No" answer. Nobody will know your choice.

• @Hxxx said:
    @stefeman hmm ok. You can fit that one in the "No" answer. Nobody will know your choice.

I dont know how to do my own ”filtering” so not really :D

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2022

Make sure you also add all 58 gender types for most complete poll results. I personally identify as male apache attack helicopter.

for the full list, please refer to: https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users

This is subject to change and can be combined with other subtypes from same list, making the total number: 3364 possibilities based on the 2018 list which is considered ”canon” and all inclusive.

• I only bareback my servers unless it is likely someone will get angry and ddos then it is fully protect

• Who votted I can do my own filtering. Please let tell me how you will protect from layer 3/4 without anti-ddos from provider.

For real... I laugh.

• letloverletlover Member
    edited August 2022

there is a reason why ovh us vps is twice more expensive than hetnzer us. ddos is certainly better on ovh vpses than hetzner's.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@sandoz You have a good point. In this case mostly referring to an attack that is directed at the customer website or VPS IP. Somebody that hold a grudge at you and want to make you have a bad day. For instance that customer can get their own protection with CloudFlare, Imperva, a GRE through a path.net filtered VPS, etc.

Good point tho.

Thanked by 2gzz BloomVPS
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2022

People usually not randomly just attack IP ranges, except in a few cases, they most likely have a specific reason.

I ran gameservers for example, the box that had no AntiDDoS got never attacked.
    We just run peaceful gamemodes on this one, never had an attack once.

However, the PVP machine, had weekly/daily addos attacks on OVH.

If you run a blog or some shit, there will likely be a 100% chance, you will offend someone, however, if they have access to a booter is a different question.

Its easy, no doubt, if you expect DDoS attacks and you could loose an entire Country like West Taiwan, yes get AntiDDoS otherwise don't give a fuck.

• @Neoon said:
    People usually not randomly just attack IP ranges, except in a few cases, they most likely have a specific reason.

If you run a blog or some shit, there will likely be a 100% chance, you will offend someone, however, if they have access to a booter is a different question.

Its easy, no doubt, if you expect DDoS attacks and you could loose an entire Country like West Taiwan, yes get AntiDDoS otherwise don't give a fuck.

How about LET? Any DDOS attack from someone unhappy? Seems a lot of disgruntled men here.

@letlover said:

@Neoon said:

How about LET? Any DDOS attack from someone unhappy? Seems a lot of disgruntled men here.

No idea about LET, I just know that the in-house AntiDDoS in buffalo, always took a dump. Yesterday I noticed the CF notice again, maybe due to the Taiwan post, idk you likely have to ask an Admin.

Well, mostly they insult you first or send death threats, if that does not work, then they will likely DDoS you.

• @Neoon said:

I fully understand what you said. But now a days doesn't make sense having VPS or server without ddos protection... Is like a shame. In my opinion

You can have vps for the same price with ddos protection. Why using a vps without ddos protection in 2022?

• Depends on the use case for the server. IE if I'm hosting a website behind cloudflare, often I'll look for something without DDoS protection as those providers are highly targeted (possible downtime due to another customer being attacked) and potential for false positives.

Thanked by 2Hxxx bulbasaur
  • @Neoon said: We just run peaceful gamemodes on this one, never had an attack once.

as a game dev, i have for you bad news if you have relatively to your game-type medium or big community. Or you do not have competition, or you do not make money on the game. Or latest, and most common variant: your control panel hacked, you have full server of bots, your db already leaked and abused silently by big most powerful clans in your game (if you have some kind of clans)

• @Neoon said:

@letlover said:

@Neoon said:

No idea about LET, I just know that the in-house AntiDDoS in buffalo, always took a dump. Yesterday I noticed the CF notice again, maybe due to the Taiwan post, idk you likely have to ask an Admin.

Well, mostly they insult you first or send death threats, if that does not work, then they will likely DDoS you.

so death threats=ddos, lol

@sandoz said:

@Neoon said:

I fully understand what you said. But now a days doesn't make sense having VPS or server without ddos protection... Is like a shame. In my opinion

You can have vps for the same price with ddos protection. Why using a vps without ddos protection in 2022?

Location, Location, Location.
    Yes you can get a VPS in NY with AntiDDoS for that price but not in every location.
    The AntiDDoS may not be onside, means more latency or even worse dogshit routing.

Even if it says AntiDDoS, does not mean its good, not every AntiDDoS Protection is the same.

@desperand said:

@Neoon said: We just run peaceful gamemodes on this one, never had an attack once.

as a game dev, i have for you bad news if you have relatively to your game-type medium or big community. Or you do not have competition, or you do not make money on the game. Or latest, and most common variant: your control panel hacked, you have full server of bots, your db already leaked and abused silently by big most powerful clans in your game (if you have some kind of clans)

If you try to make money from something, you should workout potential threats, which DDoS is one of them. Does not mean you need to get AntiDDoS but you should at least be aware of it.

I don't know how open your control panel is, I don't have any accessible without a VPN.
    Even if there would be a security issue, you can't exploit it.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@sandoz said:
    Please let tell me how you will protect from layer 3/4 without anti-ddos from provider.

Mentally strong people take a whole rack of 2U servers with 10x 100 Gbps ports and 48 dedicated cores.
    Services are written in DPDK with all the hardware acceleration goodness.

Any attack less than 20Tbps would be ineffective.
    If you have more than 20Tbps, we just bring up another rack.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @Neoon said: Well, mostly they insult you first or send death threats, if that does not work, then they will likely DDoS you.

lol this

edited August 2022

@AndrewL64 said:

@Neoon said: Well, mostly they insult you first or send death threats, if that does not work, then they will likely DDoS you.

lol this

*Your experience may vary

• Depends on what I'm hosting on that VPS. I have servers where DDoS protection is a must (just in case shit hits the fan) and others where I'm good with no DDoS protection whatsoever.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2022

As others already pointed out, the poll questions are poorly worded. The last two options have two statements each. What do you do if one statement in the option is true and the other is not? Which option is appropriate?

• No, I can do my own filtering. (False) I want cheap as possible. (True)
    • I don't know what DDoS protection is... (False) But I never needed it. (True)
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2022

@emg the poll purpose is to get an idea of how important is for customers (the low end customer) this feature. The statements don't have to be AND (&&), read it as OR (||). I get your point.

I.E
    -First option: DDoS is a must.
    -Second Option: I can manage the problem myself if something happen. Therefore. . . I want the cheapest possible don't add features I don't need now.
    -Third: I don't know what it is OR I never needed it whatever.

Thanks for pointing out the flaws.

• Is US OVH vps ddos service good?
    If I use US Hetzner vps, how can I protect from ddos?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2022

@Hxxx said:
    @emg the poll purpose is to get an idea of how important is for customers (the low end customer) this feature. The statements don't have to be AND (&&), read it as OR (||). I get your point.

I.E
    -First option: DDoS is a must.
    -Second Option: I can manage the problem myself if something happen. Therefore. . . I want the cheapest possible don't add features I don't need now.
    -Third: I don't know what it is OR I never needed it whatever.

Thanks for pointing out the flaws.

You're welcome ... but the second and third options are not mutually exclusive in the original poll and also in this new example. I can truthfully answer "yes" to both the second and third options in both versions of your poll. It is not clear which of the two options applies better for me (and probably many others).

A basic rule of polling is to avoid a "choose one" poll design where more than one option could be true for your respondents.

• It is always good to be able to resist ddos attacks. Even if I don't have any external services, I still get some network fluctuations when my neighbors in the same network segment as me get hit with certain tools.
    When I try to expose some service, even without any commercial interest, some bored script kid will launch an attack, even though you are innocent!

I can also accept unprotected services on a limited basis when the price is good enough, provided that any of my sites will use cloudfare.

• No, I can do my own filtering. I want cheap as possible.

Good luck blocking any significant attack yourself. Even if you block literally all traffic via nftables or legacy iptables, the packets still need to be handled by the network card, sent to the system, and processed by the kernel to decide whether to block them or not. You can hit a huge amount of CPU usage just with hardware interrupts and the kernel.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Daniel15 didn't meant that. Clarified I'm referring to third party service you can manage to pay and solve the problem. Mentioned in another post.

• I never would buy a VPS or service without DDoS Protection available, is risky and a headache.

I don't know why people uses any provider with no ddos protection available, it only will cause you waste of time, headaches and few more things.

Is so stupid and no reason to have a vps or server with is not ddos protected. In those days is pretty easy to find any server for the same price or less with ddos protection.

Just my way of thinking, could be wrong.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I don't even need public network