Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which shared web hosting providers are reliable? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which shared web hosting providers are reliable?

Comments

• letloverletlover Member
    edited August 2022

@emg said:
    I am surprised to see the recommendations above, and want to share my own bad experiences with those companies:

AVOID EIG!

I am surprised to see EIG or any of their companies recommended here. EIG owns HostGator and BlueHost and many other hosting brands. EIG stands for Endurance International Group.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with EIG owned companies. Actually much worse than bad. It is not just me; the bad experiences are common. There are many websites on the internet that post lists of EIG hosting companies, so people know which hosting brands to avoid.

EIG is the Borg of hosting. EIG buys good hosting companies and ruins them as quickly as they can. The keep the brand name, absorb the hosting into their big giant mega-system-network, and within a couple months fire all the former employees of the hosting company they just bought. The only thing that remains is the old hosting company's brand name.

My own experience comes from Arvixe, which was my hosting company for several years. I was so happy with Arvixe until EIG bought them. Within a month, there were all kinds of problems and things just got worse and worse from then on.

My HostGator experiences came from helping a friend whose business was a HostGator customer. What a mess! Support from HostGator/EIG ? NOT!

Do a web search for "EIG Hosting" and you will find many websites with lists of EIG hosting companies to avoid and why. Here are two to get you started:

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endurance-international-group-eig-hosting/
    https://www.webprotime.com/eig-hosting-brands-companies/

There are many others.

AVOID GODADDY!

In a similar vein, I would not recommend GoDaddy either. I have had multiple bad experiences with GoDaddy as well, helping businesses that used them. GoDaddy is large and well-established and provides decent support, but they are costly. They will try to sell you features you do not need. They lied to one of my customers as well, regarding domain registration issues.

Thank you for the info. Last night I almost bought the baby plan of the Hostgator, as it was elected the best host by PCMag. At the time I did not know what the EIG stands for. Excluding EIG and GD, there are not many good choices left. Sigh.

Thanked by 2emg Logano
  • @vyas11 said: So also

Hostgator, Blue host and do look up EIG companies. They have multiple locations all around.

Finally Siteground.

Best wishes

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. EIG is the worst with their slimy practices.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • emghemgh Member

A hosting forum were people prefer EIG:(

• emghemgh Member

@Astro said:

@vyas11 said: So also

Hostgator, Blue host and do look up EIG companies. They have multiple locations all around.

Finally Siteground.

Best wishes

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. EIG is the worst with their slimy practices.

Not the worst. Second place. Worst is Miss Hosting.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2022

@letlover said:

Thank you for the info. Last night I almost bought the baby plan of the Hostgator, as it was elected the best host by PCMag. At the time I did not know what the EIG stands for. Excluding EIG and GD, there are not many good choices left. Sigh.

After EIG acquired Arvixe, the internet was flooded with negative reviews about issues, problems, and the growing disaster that befell Arvixe customers like me.

Within months of the acquisition, I started seeing ultra-positive reviews of the EIG-owned Arvixe on mature, well-regarded, trusted computer magazine websites. The glowing reviews of Arvixe made no sense to me. There was no resemblance between the Arvixe in the reviews and the Arvixe that customers were experiencing at the same time. As those reviews appeared, there were many active threads all over the internet from people complaining about downtime, terrible service, etc. I was going through hosting hell with Arvixe as well.

Those cheerleader reviews somehow made it to the top of search rankings. EIG managed to push down the flood of complaints, problems, issues, and scandals to lower search rankings, where they disappeared from sight.

It was plain and clear that EIG had undue influence over the computer magazines. I lost all trust in the impartiality of the computer magazine website reviews. It was also clear that EIG knew how to manipulate search engines to suppress negative feedback about their businesses.

All of that is probably no surprise to anyone here. :-(

Thanked by 2Arkas letlover
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2022

WPEngine is really good. They're by far the best host for WordPress sites, but you'll definitely pay more than other hosts.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
  • @MikePT said:
    MyW rocks FYI.

Thank you for your unbiased opinion ;-)

• LoganoLogano Member
    edited August 2022

We've used iX web hosting at our company for the last 15 years or so, pretty much just as a POP3 mail server. We only noticed a couple of downtimes, even throughout the acquisition by EIG and the brand's transfer to Site5. But yeah, EIG has a bad rep.

The shared hosts I currently use personally are BuyShared reseller (DA, not cPanel, and also, you can't get one ;p), and Racknerd reseller (cPanel). Both have been fine. I've had BuyShared since 2019 and Racknerd since last November. Technically, I've also used ServerHub since 2013, but... not really? They gave me a free account back then and still send me "Paid" invoices every month. I'm not even sure if it still works, but they're alive.

Other shared hosts I've dabbled with (that I can remember.. I've dabbled with many) and who are still alive today are Ramnode (2013-ish?), Geekstorage (2008), and Smallweb (2019.. also it's owned by Nexusbytes now). I'm not vouching for their current service or performance, but they're still around. I've had a VPS on Ramnode since 2013. Still kicking.

I haven't used HawkHost and KnownHost, but they've had good reps for a long time as well. BigScoots has been around as well as a high-end service provider. Many of these shared hosts dwell more at WHT than here at LET.

One notable host who is no longer in operation is GreenValueHost from 2013. At least I got my refund before he went totally bust. :D

Thanked by 1letlover
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

I repeat: OP’s question was not about getting good or genuine recommendations, they wanted cannon fodder for a commissioned blog post favouring GD.

Thanked by 2Logano emg
  • @vyas11 said:
    I repeat: OP’s question was not about getting good or genuine recommendations, they wanted cannon fodder for a commissioned blog post favouring GD.

Wow, I spent a long time on my post. Grrrrr......
    Anyways, I'll leave it there for someone in the future to see.

Thanked by 1vyas11
    edited August 2022

@Logano said:
    We've used iX web hosting at our company for the last 15 years or so, pretty much just as a POP3 mail server. We only noticed a couple of downtimes, even throughout the acquisition by EIG and the brand's transfer to Site5. But yeah, EIG has a bad rep.

The shared hosts I currently use personally are BuyShared reseller (DA, not cPanel, and also, you can't get one ;p), and Racknerd reseller (cPanel). Both have been fine. I've had BuyShared since 2019 and Racknerd since last November. Technically, I've also used ServerHub since 2013, but... not really? They gave me a free account back then and still send me "Paid" invoices every month. I'm not even sure if it still works, but they're alive.

Other shared hosts I've dabbled with (that I can remember.. I've dabbled with many) and who are still alive today are Ramnode (2013-ish?), Geekstorage (2008), and Smallweb (2019.. also it's owned by Nexusbytes now). I'm not vouching for their current service or performance, but they're still around. I've had a VPS on Ramnode since 2013. Still kicking.

I haven't used HawkHost and KnownHost, but they've had good reps for a long time as well. BigScoots has been around as well as a high-end service provider. Many of these shared hosts dwell more at WHT than here at LET.

One notable host who is no longer in operation is GreenValueHost from 2013. At least I got my refund before he went totally bust. :D

you are fine to share your experience. the other user is mad.
    in my posts, i mentioned hetzner ovh php friends netcup lightsail godaddy 1&1 scaleway one provider leaseweb wsi light server. go block them, or consider anyone mentioned these are commissioned. lol.
    with some in depth analysis, i think some ids here are hiddenly related to some vendors. if i mention their competitors in the posts, they try to discredit the post. i have seen this kind of reaction at least once in one of my previous posts.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@vyas11 said: I repeat: OP’s question was not about getting good or genuine recommendations, they wanted cannon fodder for a commissioned blog post favouring GD.

Proof?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @Arkas said:

@vyas11 said: I repeat: OP’s question was not about getting good or genuine recommendations, they wanted cannon fodder for a commissioned blog post favouring GD.

Proof?

Proof to the contrary?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@vyas11 said: Proof to the contrary?

It is your burden to prove a case since you made the accusation, not my burden. You do know how the law works (in most countries) right? :smile:

Thanked by 2vyas11 Logano
  • racknerd, myw.pt, the new speedypage, ramnode, inmotion hosting, seems reliable.

Thanked by 3MikePT letlover Logano
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@Arkas said:

@vyas11 said: Proof to the contrary?

It is your burden to prove a case since you made the accusation, not my burden. You do know how the law works (in most countries) right? :smile:

Indeed

Thanked by 2Arkas Logano
  • emgemg Veteran

@vyas11 said:

I took the OP's post seriously, as we know. I saw both of @vyas11's comments, including the one quoted above.

Then I went and looked at the threads that the OP has created since they joined on 11 June. If you take this thread alone, it looks like a newbie asking for basic hosting advice. If you look at the totality of the the threads they created, they are not as helpless as they might appear by looking only at this thread. They are way past the "newbie" stage of understanding VPSs, hosting, etc.

If the OP is really working on a "fluff piece" blog entry in favor of GoDaddy, why not say so? Make the subject, "Looking for Positive Things to Say about GoDaddy", tell everyone you're working on a blog about it, and be done with it. Sure, you'll get many snarky comments, but probably so helpful ideas, too. I'll point out that you've gotten many snarky comments in this thread that you must filter out anyway.

Applicable quotes are "Honesty is the best policy" and "The truth shall set you free." Okay, @letlover - tell us the truth. We are open-minded.

I will repeat myself:
    GoDaddy sucks. They are constantly "upselling" their services. They sell services to people who definitely do not need them and GoDaddy knows it. One customer who was abused by GoDaddy was a very old man. He was a volunteer for a non-profit that helped poor people pay for funerals. GoDaddy convinced him to buy several expensive features and services they did not need. GoDaddy also lied about those services and what they were for. By deceiving the old man, GoDaddy effectively stole money from a non-profit charity that could ill-afford any loss. How do I know? I helped the old man. I listened in on his phone calls with GoDaddy. I helped straighten out the non-profit's hosting issues, and cut their costs by 75%. No charge, of course. If you are writing about GoDaddy, write that.

If you are working on a blog or whatever, tell us.

edited August 2022

@emg said:

@vyas11 said:

I took the OP's post seriously, as we know. I saw both of @vyas11's comments, including the one quoted above.

Then I went and looked at the threads that the OP has created since they joined on 11 June. If you take this thread alone, it looks like a newbie asking for basic hosting advice. If you look at the totality of the the threads they created, they are not as helpless as they might appear by looking only at this thread. They are way past the "newbie" stage of understanding VPSs, hosting, etc.

If the OP is really working on a "fluff piece" blog entry in favor of GoDaddy, why not say so? Make the subject, "Looking for Positive Things to Say about GoDaddy", tell everyone you're working on a blog about it, and be done with it. Sure, you'll get many snarky comments, but probably so helpful ideas, too. I'll point out that you've gotten many snarky comments in this thread that you must filter out anyway.

Applicable quotes are "Honesty is the best policy" and "The truth shall set you free." Okay, @letlover - tell us the truth. We are open-minded.

I will repeat myself:
    GoDaddy sucks. They are constantly "upselling" their services. They sell services to people who definitely do not need them and GoDaddy knows it. One customer who was abused by GoDaddy was a very old man. He was a volunteer for a non-profit that helped poor people pay for funerals. GoDaddy convinced him to buy several expensive features and services they did not need. GoDaddy also lied about those services and what they were for. By deceiving the old man, GoDaddy effectively stole money from a non-profit charity that could ill-afford any loss. How do I know? I helped the old man. I listened in on his phone calls with GoDaddy. I helped straighten out the non-profit's hosting issues, and cut their costs by 75%. No charge, of course. If you are writing about GoDaddy, write that.

I am not a newbie, I have long history of interest in webhosting. I am just not up to date and need refreshment. For sometime I was addicted to online gaming and did not have time to follow up the latest bleeding edge.

Frankly, I have never used any shared hosting ever since. The only thing appealing to me is that I can use $10-20/m to get the best service in shared hosting, something like AWS EC2. Seems there is no such shared hosting version of EC2.

My handson experience are dedis and vpses. I used a 1&1 dedi about more than 10 years ago, for $100 at the time, when softlayer was 200-300 dollars at the time. Then I went to EC2 free tier for several years testing, then lightsail. Later from hacker news I discovered Hetzner dedi, kimsulfi (but very difficult to get one, until recently I got three KS1).

It is good for me to get to LET to know about php friends and netcup reccently, especially php friends, maybe the best discovery for me here. Hetzner Ashburn and OVH are good for me in US.

I have ambition for my websites, not just a small blog, but all kinds of apps using all kinds of frameworks, like hugo, ror, django, laveyeal, maybe in the future next/nuxt. It is fun to try new things.

Now I already have clear view of the vps world, I still have not decided which US dedi provider has the best deal. Seems to me that it is OVH US rise server, but not sure yet. I still don't have hands experience with colocation, which I envision as the next critical step for my web hosting strategy.

So I still have a lot of questions on colocation and US dedis, be prepared. LOL

Thanked by 1Logano
  • I've had good experience with nearlyfreespeech.net, very simple and works great.

Thanked by 2letlover Logano
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@letlover said:

@emg said:

@vyas11 said:

I will repeat myself:

I am not a newbie, I have long history of interest in webhosting. I am just not up to date and need refreshment. For sometime I was addicted to online gaming and did not have time to follow up the latest bleeding edge.

Frankly, I have never used any shared hosting ever since. The only thing appealing to me is that I can use $10-20/m to get the best service in shared hosting, something like AWS EC2. Seems there is no such shared hosting version of EC2.

My handson experience are dedis and vpses. I used a 1&1 dedi about more than 10 years ago, for $100 at the time, when softlayer was 200-300 dollars at the time. Then I went to EC2 free tier for several years testing, then lightsail. Later from hacker news I discovered Hetzner dedi, kimsulfi (but very difficult to get one, until recently I got three KS1).

It is good for me to get to LET to know about php friends and netcup reccently, especially php friends, maybe the best discovery for me here. Hetzner Ashburn and OVH are good for me in US.

I have ambition for my websites, not just a small blog, but all kinds of apps using all kinds of frameworks, like hugo, ror, django, laveyeal, maybe in the future next/nuxt. It is fun to try new things.

Now I already have clear view of the vps world, I still have not decided which US dedi provider has the best deal. Seems to me that it is OVH US rise server, but not sure yet. I still don't have hands experience with colocation, which I envision as the next critical step for my web hosting strategy.

So when is the first of the 35 new discussions expected?

Btw this discussion veered towards shared hosting, now that you mentioned vps/dedi….most of recommendations may not apply, not just speaking for those made by self. There are however some “cloud based” shared hosing providers- never quite understood that terminology- and some newer players who have SaaS offerings in the space. Mostly catering to WP or built on top of google sheets n docs/ Notion, etc.

For the latter category (google sheets/notion) Producthunt has a good set of recommendations.

Cheers 🥂

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @vyas11 said:

@letlover said:

@emg said:

@vyas11 said:

I will repeat myself:

So when is the first of the 35 new discussions expected?

Btw this discussion veered towards shared hosting, now that you mentioned vps/dedi….most of recommendations may not apply, not just speaking for those made by self. There are however some “cloud based” shared hosing providers- never quite understood that terminology- and some newer players who have SaaS offerings in the space. Mostly catering to WP or built on top of google sheets n docs/ Notion, etc.

For the latter category (google sheets/notion) Producthunt has a good set of recommendations.

Cheers 🥂

I thought there is something equivalent to AWS, sigh. A lot of contradiction. I will not go the shared hosting route. I will stick to vps and dedi, maybe colo in the future. Now my websites are not heavy traffic enough to use colo, not cost effective yet.

• edited August 2022

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited August 2022

@bluehairminerboy said: I've had good experience with nearlyfreespeech.net, very simple and works great.

I used it something decade ago I think. Are you using it now? How's the service and support? And moreover, are they still sticking to free-speech?? Or that has changed?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You can try us, been on web hosting market since 2010.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @JasonM said:

@bluehairminerboy said: I've had good experience with nearlyfreespeech.net, very simple and works great.

I used it something decade ago I think. Are you using it now? How's the service and support? And moreover, are they still sticking to free-speech?? Or that has changed?

Still using it for a couple of sites. I've only ever had to speak to support twice - because of an issue with my login and because a shitty WP site for a customer got hacked and they detected it pretty much immediately. I can't speak to the "free speech" element as I don't host anything that touchy but as far as I know their policies haven't changed.

Thanked by 2Logano JasonM
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@emg said:

@letlover said:

After EIG acquired Arvixe, the internet was flooded with negative reviews about issues, problems, and the growing disaster that befell Arvixe customers like me.

Within months of the acquisition, I started seeing ultra-positive reviews of the EIG-owned Arvixe on mature, well-regarded, trusted computer magazine websites. The glowing reviews of Arvixe made no sense to me. There was no resemblance between the Arvixe in the reviews and the Arvixe that customers were experiencing at the same time. As those reviews appeared, there were many active threads all over the internet from people complaining about downtime, terrible service, etc. I was going through hosting hell with Arvixe as well.

Those cheerleader reviews somehow made it to the top of search rankings. EIG managed to push down the flood of complaints, problems, issues, and scandals to lower search rankings, where they disappeared from sight.

It was plain and clear that EIG had undue influence over the computer magazines. I lost all trust in the impartiality of the computer magazine website reviews. It was also clear that EIG knew how to manipulate search engines to suppress negative feedback about their businesses.

All of that is probably no surprise to anyone here. :-(

I remember seeing this review site, I believe it was a computer magazine, try to claim that Contabo's uptime and latency was good by monitoring thei uptime & latency of contabo.com (the website) for a month. Lol.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • ralfralf Member

@letlover said:

Please can you put them all into one single thread, ideally one of your many existing ones.

• @ralf said:

@letlover said:

Please can you put them all into one single thread, ideally one of your many existing ones.

As always, it depends. :)

• @ralf said:

@letlover said:

38 more in the pipeline !

Thanked by 2emg Arkas