Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which shared web hosting providers are reliable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which shared web hosting providers are reliable?

letloverletlover Member
edited August 2022 in General

Pricewise, it is OK to be equal to a low to middle size vps.
Reliability, capacity, etc are more important.
It is a great plus to be able to send outbound emails to google and yahoo, etc.

godaddy?

Comments

• So also
    Hostgator, Blue host and do look up EIG companies. They have multiple locations all around.

Finally Siteground.
    Best wishes

Thanked by 1letlover
  • Storage and Plan Limits. All Web Hosting and WordPress Hosting plans, including the unlimited plans, are subject to a limit of no more than 250,000 inodes per account for Linux® hosting accounts or 500,000 files and folders per account for Windows® hosting accounts. The plans are also limited to no more than 1,000 tables per database and no more than one gigabyte of storage per database. Any account or database that exceeds these limits may be issued a network violation warning and will be required to reduce the number of inodes, files and folders, tables or gigabytes (as the case may be), or may be temporarily or permanently suspended, in our sole discretion. All Linux hosting plans are subject to the following limitations: no more than a) 25% of one CPU core; b) 512MB of RAM; c) 100 website connections; d) 100 active processes; e) 1 MB/s disk IO. In the event these limitations are exceeded, your site may slow down or not be served until more resources are added. More resources may be added for additional fees.

WordPress Hosting may only be used to host a WordPress website. Only a single WordPress installation is allowed per website. Any WordPress hosting account found to be hosting a non-WordPress website may be issued a network violation warning and will be required to remove the non-WordPress website, or may be temporarily or permanently suspended, in our sole discretion. Additionally, you may be required to purchase an appropriate hosting plan in order to host the non-WordPress site should you wish to continue hosting the non-WordPress site on our network.

Free Trial hosting credits are subject the following limitations: no more than a) 25% of one CPU core; b) 256MB of RAM; c) 10 website connections; d) 100 active processes; e) .5 MB/s disk IO; f) 50,000 inodes; g) 1 GB diskspace; h) 10 GB monthly bandwidth. In the event these limitations are exceeded, your site may slow down or not be served until more resources are added. More resources may be added by upgrading to a paid plan.

• Unlimited Disk Space/Bandwidth/Website Plans. Web Hosting and WordPress Hosting plans are designed to host most personal, small business and organization websites, and thus we offer unlimited bandwidth and some plans offer unlimited disk space and websites. This means that we do not set a limit on the amount of bandwidth, websites or disk space you may use in the operation of your website, provided it complies with this Service Agreement. In the event the bandwidth, number of websites or disk space usage of your website presents a risk to the stability, performance or uptime of our servers, data storage, networking or other infrastructure, you may be required to upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated Server, or we may take action to restrict the resources your website is utilizing.

• Probably godaddy is good for low traffic website at the beginning.
    Not sure if it allows docker. Seems to me not a long term route.

• @vyas11 said:
    So also
    Hostgator, Blue host and do look up EIG companies. They have multiple locations all around.

Finally Siteground.
    Best wishes

Thank you very much, these names seem big names. Will check.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

DediRock is extremely reliable. Completely unbiased opinion.

• A friend of mine using hostinger for a few years and he said they are rock solid.. I used hawkhost few years back and they are great

Thanked by 1letlover
  • SiliCloudSiliCloud Member, Patron Provider, LIR

I think you can choose Cloud Server with manage panel. And SiliCloud is a good choice for vServer. :)

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

@letlover said: godaddy?

I see you've set the bar high. No one can match GD. Best provider out there. Their shared hosting is faster than a Hetzner dedi. :smile:
    On a more serious note, try @EthernetServers which is great, and look into @speedypage, which I'm new to and still testing, but seem very promising.
    Make sure whomever you choose uses a hybrid email solution, like Mailchannels, Mxroute...etc...

• Blazingfast_IOBlazingfast_IO Member, Host Rep

Here is a 20% off recurring coupon for any of our webhosting plans.
    Coupon: LETWEB20

• As I have heard siteground is good too

• Clients are very happy with IONOS. Quite solid and have various international presences/website storefronts.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @Ympker said:
    Clients are very happy with IONOS. Quite solid and have various international presences/website storefronts.

EIG FTW. ;)

• letloverletlover Member
    edited August 2022

@Arkas said:

@letlover said: godaddy?

I see you've set the bar high. No one can match GD. Best provider out there. Their shared hosting is faster than a Hetzner dedi. :smile:

This is very impressive.
    I am thinking to set up a hugo based static site there for testing purpose. later may try php, ror, django, etc, next/nuxt maybe.

• @Ympker said:
    Clients are very happy with IONOS. Quite solid and have various international presences/website storefronts.

More than 10 years ago, I rent a 1&1 dedi. Pretty good at the time. Not sure why so many complaints now online.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2022

@vyas11 said:

@Ympker said:

EIG FTW. ;)

IONOS isn't EIG, though. Or, are they?

At least not listed here: https://www.webhostingsecretrevealed.net/blog/site-updates-news/the-who-what-when-of-endurance-international-group-eig/

• @Ympker said:

@vyas11 said:

@Ympker said:

EIG FTW. ;)

At least not listed here: https://www.webhostingsecretrevealed.net/blog/site-updates-news/the-who-what-when-of-endurance-international-group-eig/

In this discussion you will find mentioned so far GD and some other EIG companies that provide high quality services.

• @vyas11 said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas11 said:

@Ympker said:

EIG FTW. ;)

In this discussion you will find mentioned so far GD and some other EIG companies that provide high quality services.

Ah, right. Brain is already fried from heat today :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've used Dreamhost since forever...2006 I think. Very few issues. I don't like their panel as much as I liked the old one but it's still better than cPanel.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

@letlover said: @Arkas said:
    » show previous quotes

This is very impressive.
    I am thinking to set up a hugo based static site there for testing purpose. later may try >php, >ror, django, etc, next/nuxt maybe.

I was joking!!! GD sucks, don't go near them!

Thanked by 2letlover Logano
  • emgemg Veteran

I am surprised to see the recommendations above, and want to share my own bad experiences with those companies:

AVOID EIG!

I am surprised to see EIG or any of their companies recommended here. EIG owns HostGator and BlueHost and many other hosting brands. EIG stands for Endurance International Group.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with EIG owned companies. Actually much worse than bad. It is not just me; the bad experiences are common. There are many websites on the internet that post lists of EIG hosting companies, so people know which hosting brands to avoid.

EIG is the Borg of hosting. EIG buys good hosting companies and ruins them as quickly as they can. The keep the brand name, absorb the hosting into their big giant mega-system-network, and within a couple months fire all the former employees of the hosting company they just bought. The only thing that remains is the old hosting company's brand name.

My own experience comes from Arvixe, which was my hosting company for several years. I was so happy with Arvixe until EIG bought them. Within a month, there were all kinds of problems and things just got worse and worse from then on.

My HostGator experiences came from helping a friend whose business was a HostGator customer. What a mess! Support from HostGator/EIG ? NOT!

Do a web search for "EIG Hosting" and you will find many websites with lists of EIG hosting companies to avoid and why. Here are two to get you started:

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endurance-international-group-eig-hosting/
    https://www.webprotime.com/eig-hosting-brands-companies/

There are many others.

AVOID GODADDY!

In a similar vein, I would not recommend GoDaddy either. I have had multiple bad experiences with GoDaddy as well, helping businesses that used them. GoDaddy is large and well-established and provides decent support, but they are costly. They will try to sell you features you do not need. They lied to one of my customers as well, regarding domain registration issues.

Thanked by 2letlover Logano
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2022

KnownHost.
    ^
    There are other decent providers around too in this place.

KnownHost is good if you are looking for a provider with long years of operation that has maintained quality and not exactly LET market, but price still good.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@emg san

Sometimes, tongue-in-cheek comment /recommendation may be left as is.

Had the (dis)pleasure myself of hosting with GD and HG, can concur with your opinion.

But OP in all likelihood is looking for crowdthink/source for a paid blog post somewhere. And their first few posts with GD mention hints towards that. So let us give them what they need.

Bluehost
    Bigrock
    Fatcow

Non eig GD/
    Siteground

Etc

• AndrewL64AndrewL64 Member
    edited August 2022

@Arkas said: On a more serious note, try @EthernetServers which is great

lol I know ES is a patron provider here but I've had bad experiences with ES support/service. Also had issues with DediPath's service as well tbh. As a matter of fact, the issue with dedipath happened barely a week ago. (Mentioning them both because George from ES apparently works for DediPath btw).

Been a/an (initially) happy customer of ES for about 7 years (their OpenVZ vps were ok for a while) and DediPath (their KVM vps was a massive improvement from the ES openvz vps I started with for a while) but yeah.... Might post about my experience with both in my blog instead of ranting here once I'm done with some client projects I'm working on but there's a chance I might just be too lazy to do that by then lol

I got a client I was working for (and personally know) to sign up with ES as an affiliate and they're happy-issh with the service so it might be an isolated personal incident too. But this person is not exactly too knowledgeable with servers so idk.

TLDR: was happy with es and dedipath for awhile and then later wasn't and I don't think I will be working with them anymore BUT ymmv/yemv (your experience may vary) since the client/associate I know personally which I recommended ES to back then, seems happy with the service so far though....

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @AndrewL64 said: lol I know ES is a patron provider here but I've had bad experiences with ES support/service.

Patron Provider just means that they paid $200/year for the privilege to post offers, it makes no guarantees about quality and you are more than welcome to criticise them. We like to know about people's experiences since discussing lowend server providers is sort of the entire point of this forum.

Thanked by 3AndrewL64 letlover SinV
  • @Erisa said: We like to know about people's experiences since discussing lowend server providers is sort of the entire point of this forum.

Word. I will most probably post about it in my blog and post an excerpt here or just post the whole thing here once I get some free time after I'm done with a couple of clients' projects I'm working on since if I do post about it, I would like to be descriptive af with my experience working with them.

Thanked by 2Erisa letlover
  • @Arkas said:

@letlover said: @Arkas said:
    » show previous quotes

This is very impressive.
    I am thinking to set up a hugo based static site there for testing purpose. later may try >php, >ror, django, etc, next/nuxt maybe.

I was joking!!! GD sucks, don't go near them!

I almost bought its plan based on your comments!
    Later I figured that you had a "seriously" in your other paragraph.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @AndrewL64 said:

@Arkas said: On a more serious note, try @EthernetServers which is great

lol I know ES is a patron provider here but I've had bad experiences with ES support/service. Also had issues with DediPath's service as well tbh. As a matter of fact, the issue with dedipath happened barely a week ago. (Mentioning them both because George from ES apparently works with DediPath as well btw).

Been a/an (initially) happy customer of ES for about 7 years (their OpenVZ vps were ok for a while) and DediPath (their KVM vps was a massive improvement from the ES openvz vps I started with for a while) but yeah.... Might post about my experience with both in my blog instead of ranting here once I'm done with some client projects I'm working on but there's a chance I might just be too lazy to do that by then lol

I got a person I personally know to sign up with ES as an affiliate and they're happy-issh with the service so it might be an isolated personal incident too. But this person is not exactly too knowledgeable with servers so idk.

TLDR: was happy with es and dedipath for awhile and then later wasn't and I don't think I will be working with them anymore BUT ymmv/yemv (your experience may vary) since an associate I know personally which I recommended ES to, back then seems happy with the service so far though....

I like this kind of hands on experience sharing. Thanks a lot.

Thanked by 1AndrewL64