Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice write-up about end of Optane
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nice write-up about end of Optane

ralfralf Member

There was a nice article on The Register recently about Optane, now that it's definitely been ended, and reading it, I do feel a bit sad that it's gone even though I've never had a machine that used it.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/01/optane_intel_cancellation/

There's some further discussion on Hacker News which is also interesting: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32314814

Thanked by 1jsg

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I never used it either. Other than a cool name, it didn't have much going for it. :neutral:
    You should have posted this in the 'News' section, it is tech news :smile:

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

Hehe, I just assume everything I post is off-topic! :D

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Moved to 'News' section

• will contabo cry?

• emgemg Veteran

I had not known about Optane until seeing this thread. Thanks for sharing it.

If the foundation technology is truly revolutionary and cost effective, it may rise again in a different form. There is always hope.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2022

I didn't expect to say this but after reading it I have to say, this author really knew how to take "butt hurt" to the next level. I mean he waxed poetic about it so hard like he was hoping to influence the reversal of a cancellation of his favorite TV show. The tech wasn't really that great and it really didn't do much to dramatically improve performance in a consumer quality system, and I don't even know if a server motherboard ever supported it.

I had a system prebuilt with it but I had plenty of bottlenecks elsewhere, it wasn't a game changer for me at least.

Thanked by 2emg TimboJones
  • ralfralf Member

@jar said:
    I don't even know if a server motherboard ever supported it.

I saw it as an option on some provider's dedi earlier in the week, which is why I'd heard of it, as I googled it to find out what it was. Can't remember who the provider was though. But other than it, it'd completely passed me by.

From the write-up it did sound like generally good tech, just over-priced. I was a bit sceptical though: I can see how you can get writes at RAM speed and transparently write that to flash behind the scenes, but not sure how they'd handle dynamic random reads at RAM speed, but I guess that was what made it special.

Thanked by 1jar
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We have 8x DIMMs on order to install into two Cascade Lake servers.
    I'd see whether the supplier can still fulfill them.
    They are for tiered caching application, where DRAM, PMEM, and NVMe are all used as caches of network data.

• emgemg Veteran

@jar said:
    I didn't expect to say this but after reading it I have to say, this author really knew how to take "butt hurt" to the next level. I mean he waxed poetic about it so hard like he was hoping to influence the reversal of a cancellation of his favorite TV show. The tech wasn't really that great and it really didn't do much to dramatically improve performance in a consumer quality system, and I don't even know if a server motherboard ever supported it.

I had a system prebuilt with it but I had plenty of bottlenecks elsewhere, it wasn't a game changer for me at least.

Yeah, that first link article was not well written. I found better learning from a simple web search.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @yoursunny said:
    We have 8x DIMMs on order to install into two Cascade Lake servers.
    I'd see whether the supplier can still fulfill them.
    They are for tiered caching application, where DRAM, PMEM, and NVMe are all used as caches of network data.

Intel is generally good at last time buy notices and guaranteed years of availability.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jar said:

With several mentions of UNIX and tons or irrelevant back story, I strongly wondered if it was written by someone at LET with a similar three letter handle as you..

Thanked by 3jar cybertech bulbasaur
  • Never heard about Optane before. Maybe it will come again on some day.