Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rant: Transferring/Moving IPs with Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rant: Transferring/Moving IPs with Hetzner

tjntjn Member

I have a number of servers with @Hetzner_OL which all have several individual IP addresses (no subnets) which I mostly purchased before they increased their IP setup fees.

I was thinking of consolidating 2-3 servers into 1 much larger newer server, so reached out to sales to see if I could "move" or "swap" some of my IPs around and hopefully not pay IP setup fees again thinking it should be pretty straightforward - nope.

If I want my new server to have 11 IPs I'm going to have to pay €304+VAT for a /28 - or I have to hope that they can move my "new server" into the exact rack spot as one of my older servers to keep ~5 IPs without paying for IP setup fees again.

I don't even need/want to keep the current addresses.

I get that IPv4 prices aren't cheap, and they want to encourage people to use IPv6, but I find this really irritating and exploitative.

Has anyone else faced something similar?

Comments

• I'm using ipv6 only on most of my servers.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Make LXC containers with individual IPv6 addresses, each containing the contents of an older server.
    Assign one IPv4 on the host machine, install reverse proxy to listen on this IPv4 and forward requests to containers.

Thanked by 4Erisa tjn Talistech Hxxx
  • tjntjn Member

@comXyz in some cases, I still have to use IPv4 - especially for roaming VOIP clients.

@yoursunny I leverage reverse proxies a lot already, but sometimes there just aren't enough ports / or multiple hosts require the same port ranges / or some applications don't play nice with reverse proxying - eg multiple VoIP servers.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

VoIP servers can be set to different port numbers.
    Clients can pick up the changes via SRV records or manual config.

I often move Asterisk away from 5060 to reduce password cracking attempts.

• eriseris Member

@tjn said:
    I have a number of servers with @Hetzner_OL which all have several individual IP addresses (no subnets) which I mostly purchased before they increased their IP setup fees.

I was thinking of consolidating 2-3 servers into 1 much larger newer server, so reached out to sales to see if I could "move" or "swap" some of my IPs around and hopefully not pay IP setup fees again thinking it should be pretty straightforward - nope.

If I want my new server to have 11 IPs I'm going to have to pay €304+VAT for a /28 - or I have to hope that they can move my "new server" into the exact rack spot as one of my older servers to keep ~5 IPs without paying for IP setup fees again.

I get that IPv4 prices aren't cheap, and they want to encourage people to use IPv6, but I find this really irritating and exploitative.

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade

You can move them for a one time fee

Contact support

Thanked by 1ralf
  • @eris said:

@tjn said:

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade

You can move them for a one time fee

Contact support

to be fair, only subnets can be moved. the single addon IPs are bound to the rack you are in, so only server movement can help here - but not if you have multiple servers in different racks, which all have a few single addon IPs.
    they simply cannot consolidate that into one single box because of how their routing is set up.

however that's beside OPs point anyway I think, as he wrote he would be fine with a replacement. and I have to agree here, having to drop IPs you already are paying for and having to buy the same amount of new ones incurring new setup fees is quite bullshit. sales should give some slack and drop or largely reduce the setup fees.

in the end if the customers simply is fine with new IPs this also avoids support being involved for doing some (de-)racking stunts, just to keep a few of the IPs... so yeah, sometimes these decisions are not so understandable from a customer point of view.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • tjntjn Member

@Falzo gets it

Thanked by 2Falzo ralf