Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why server was offline - how to know it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why server was offline - how to know it?

AnayxAnayx Member

Sometimes it happens that a server is offline, you ask DC or use ipmi to reboot it and then it starts workings.

What are the ways to know after reboot that why it went offline ?

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

look at the log files??

• check syslog files

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Reach out and provide logs to LowEndTechSupport.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@vyas11 said:

Looks like the logs have been trimmed.

Good job sir 👍

• sotssots Member

@vyas11 said:

We need cat log :D

• provide server and account login info here for help to check why

Thanked by 1yxctzu
  • @NobodyInteresting said:

@sots said:

@vyas11 said:

We need cat log :D

Sure!

• Have proper monitoring to detect instances of high resource usage, and as others have suggested, look at log files to detect high request rates, errors and so on.

• AnayxAnayx Member

Obviously I opened this topic after checking logs. Couldn't find anything relatable, so I asked here to get some suggestions from actually experienced people to know what exactly I should look for.

PS:
    I can also find images of logs online, thanx for sharing though.

• drivexdrivex Member

You need to install crash dump, otherwise you wont see all crash details. If it‘s a dedi it could be RAM or the temp/power supply too

Thanked by 1Anayx
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

Nice attitude OP.

Happy logging

I always prefer ‘tail log’

But 🐱or tail 🪵 might give some useful information

• AnayxAnayx Member

Thanks @vyas about the attitude thing.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

We had a whole rack of servers rebooting every other Monday at 07:30 AM.
    Nobody could figure out why.
    We blame the coronavirus.

• emgemg Veteran

A long time ago a server started rebooting in the middle of the night for no explicable reason. It was in a secure area with limited access. Power failure was unlikely because the server had a battery backup (UPS). In desperation, one of the guys working on the project decided to stay with the server to see it reboot for himself.

Shortly after midnight, the custodian came into the room. He unplugged the server from the UPS and plugged his vacuum cleaner in the now-empty outlet. When he was done cleaning the room, the custodian plugged in the server and it booted itself.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

https://i.imgflip.com/6oifdx.jpg>; @emg said:

A long time ago a server started rebooting in the middle of the night for no explicable reason. It was in a secure area with limited access. Power failure was unlikely because the server had a battery backup (UPS). In desperation, one of the guys working on the project decided to stay with the server to see it reboot for himself.

Shortly after midnight, the custodian came into the room. He unplugged the server from the UPS and plugged his vacuum cleaner in the now-empty outlet. When he was done cleaning the room, the custodian plugged in the server and it booted itself.

• @yoursunny said:
    We had a whole rack of servers rebooting every other Monday at 07:30 AM.
    Nobody could figure out why.
    We blame the coronavirus.

Sir, there was a bat inside the server. Well no ok, it possibly wasn't a bat. But ooh quick look what happened over there! Yeah, we're not sure.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited August 2022

@sots said: We need cat log :D

• You're all cunts.

In a good way.

• Write your ssh access here and lowendsupport will help you

• emgemg Veteran

@permatahost said:
    Write your ssh access here and lowendsupport will help you

Username: root
    Password: password1

The "1" is for added security.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@emg said:
    Username: root
    Password: password1

The "1" is for added security.

That was my root password, you were not supposed to tell anyone..

• I had no idea that this topic could get such humor.

Interesting part of this topic is that on LET, whenever someone asks question, people already assume that he is noob since he is asking question. Surprisingly asking question is not a bad thing, but LET makes you feel bad about it.

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

Threads tend to get stupid answers when there's very little sensible advice anyone could give you. Consider a parallel to the OP question in a different area of life: "my car won't start - what's wrong with it?" The only correct answer to that is "take it to a garage". Given that the question was being asked without apparently doing the only obvious next step, you'll get answers like "Have you tried turning the key?" or "Make sure you're sitting in the driver's seat" or some such.

If however the question was "my car had intermittent problems when starting, and so I investigated and discovered the carburettor was a bit sticky and not letting through enough fuel - any ideas how I can clean this?" then people would probably give some useful answers.

• @ralf, you are correct about your perspective but my question is not that generic, but people assumed so. Before asking here, I had already looked into logs, couldn't find anything relevant. So I thought why not ask here where people may have faced similar issue and I could get some specific hints. First few answers like @Arkas @nanankcornering were on topic, then it started derailing.

Not an issue though. I will keep asking question if I need, there are always people who genuinely want to help.

• When the server is offline, all server connections are disabled and the server does not respond to client requests or events. You still have access to the Admin window while the server is in offline status.
    To Check if a Server is Online/Offline (Ping)
    On Windows, open Command Prompt. (Mac OS X and Linux users can open Terminal.)
    Type the following command, including your server's IP address: ping -t 0.0. 0.0.

• @tanukrishna said:
    When the server is offline, all server connections are disabled and the server does not respond to client requests or events. You still have access to the Admin window while the server is in offline status.
    To Check if a Server is Online/Offline (Ping)
    On Windows, open Command Prompt. (Mac OS X and Linux users can open Terminal.)
    Type the following command, including your server's IP address: ping -t 0.0. 0.0.

I am actually asking about something else.

• jtkjtk Member

@Anayx said:
    Sometimes it happens that a server is offline, you ask DC or use ipmi to reboot it and then it starts workings.

As others have said logs. You might know quickly with a last | head to see if there was some system event (e.g., reboot, crash, down).

Some providers might have a separate set of logs at the control panel detailing events from that perspective, usually initiated by some external API or VM manager if it's not a dedicated server.

Sometimes you may have no good way of knowing. A few times I've seen a system just mysteriously be in a shut down or powered off state. This tends to only happen with a select set of somewhat less reliable (low-end) providers who are probably "tinkering" and accidentally break something, or (and this is just a guess, no proof this happens but I have my suspicions) that they hope you won't notice and they're trying to reclaim some resources.

If you can do some remote monitoring or send logs to a remote collector (and the system generates logs often enough), you may at least know approximately when the system became unavailable.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

Back to the original question asked:

Reboot from what I understand , is when the system restarts. Can a rebooted system be still considered “offline”? The way the question is framed, seems rather perplexing.

Let us consider system rebooted and is powered on again. There may be a case where the disks are encrypted and one needs to add the password before the boot process will initiate. In that case one supposes they system can be considered offline.

Are there any other scenarios where the above can be true?

This discussion has been closed.