Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any providers from whom you can no longer order products for some reason?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any providers from whom you can no longer order products for some reason?

I have tried/used many providers over the years but there is a couple that would be problematic to order with again in the future:

• NetCup: I tried the service twice and both times cancelled using the 14 days window to get a refund. Because I used the refund policy twice they then told me that in the future I would be restricted from making small orders. IIRC they told me that I could only order very large servers if I wanted to use the service again, provided I guaranteed I would no longer use the 14 days window to request a refund (I think asking that might be illegal but anyway). I didn't have particular problems with the servers or the service in general. I tried twice to set up Kubernetes clusters with NetCup root servers but had problems not related to the servers so I had to cancel and went back to Hetzner Cloud. The reason was that NetCup doesn't offer block storage, so I had to use something like Longhorn or Rook to provision persistent volumes in Kubernetes using the storage on the nodes themselves. It worked, but performance wasn't great due to the replication over the network even with the 2.5Gb/s private network (which was the only expensive item in their catalog at least then, compared to other providers). Hetzner Cloud offers block storage as well as official Kubernetes support to use block storage as persistent volumes, so it was a million times easier, more reliable and better performing than what I had set up on NetCup. But NetCup itself is a very good service IMO. A lot of bad comments and reviews are stupid and based on issues with their cancellation policy (which is not a big problem for me. I read contracts).

• PHPFriends: I can't remember the name of the guy, he was nice but became impatient with me because something similar to what happened with NetCup, also happened with PHPFriends. The service was good and the servers were pretty fast and very cheap, but again I ran into some issues with a custom setup so I had to cancel after trying the service a couple of times or more, and again went back to Hetzner Cloud because of the native Kubernetes support for their cloud service (as well as storage and load balancers, which work out of the box in Kubernetes with their official drivers). @PHP_Friends I'm tagging you here to say that I am sorry for the trouble with testing and cancelling the service multiple times. You were nice and I remember you even lifted some network limits and some other optimizations to try and help me improve performance and reliability with my custom setup. :)

In a way I am sad about this because they are both solid providers and I would definitely use them.

What about you? Have you been kinda "fired" as customer by any providers? :)

Comments

• Well it's borderline abuse of privilege (according to me) to try and cancel services within 14 days, multiple times and it's going to raise red flags....

Thanked by 2lentro ralf
  • I'm not at all shocked by the first one and I'm shocked they refunded the second of those two payments.

It sounds like you did it multiple times to phpfriends?

Also, not illegal to stop you using the 14 day refund period. You're already worthy of being deemed to be abusing it 🤦‍♂️

Thanked by 1lentro
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@vitobotta said: I tried the service twice and both times cancelled using the 14 days window to get a refund.

@vitobotta said: am sad about this because they are both solid providers and I would definitely use them.

• Cancel both services twice!!??

No offense but you get more respect from the host than you deserve.

I'm sure most of the host will kick you out if you ever try to abuse their cancelation/refund policy.

• @raindog308 said:

@vitobotta said: I tried the service twice and both times cancelled using the 14 days window to get a refund.

@vitobotta said: am sad about this because they are both solid providers and I would definitely use them.

It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. 🤣

• @plumberg said:
    Well it's borderline abuse of privilege (according to me) to try and cancel services within 14 days, multiple times and it's going to raise red flags....

I don't know but I know it's not ideal behavior. On other occasions when I didn't want to continue using the service I just cancelled the renewal without asking for a refund.

@chria838373 said:
    I'm not at all shocked by the first one and I'm shocked they refunded the second of those two payments.

It sounds like you did it multiple times to phpfriends?

I can't remember exactly, 2 or 3 times I think.

Also, not illegal to stop you using the 14 day refund period. You're already worthy of being deemed to be abusing it 🤦‍♂️

Could be. I won't do that anymore.

• I'd politely let you know that you weren't eligible to use my services for free aswell after the refund and subsequently ordering again.

• AstroAstro Member

BuyVM. I apparently had an account with them years ago. I forgot about it. Tried to sign up again. Karen chewed me alive.

• @Astro said:
    BuyVM. I apparently had an account with them years ago. I forgot about it. Tried to sign up again. Karen chewed me alive.

They didn't allow you to sign up again?

• AstroAstro Member

@vitobotta said:

@Astro said:

Nope said i was trying to bypass the system

• @Astro said:

@vitobotta said:

@Astro said:

They didn't allow you to use the old account?

• jtkjtk Member

Only one provider over many years I found problematic. I had a small VM from a provider, who shall remain nameless, for multiple years. I wanted to change the email address I used for the account and since there was no self-service way to do this I opened a ticket.

They asked:

as you're changing your email from XXX domain that is the same domain where you login from, can you please attach your ID to verify it?

I said I can reply from both email addresses if they'd like, but that I won't be sending them a selfie and a scan of a government issued ID to an email since I consider that a breach of my privacy. Implying that I don't really trust this low-cost provider with what I consider private data. They responded saying that my account was now flagged as suspicious.

OK. I laughed, and joked that they send me their ID first, but at the same time immediately requested they go ahead and terminate my service and purge my account data. Service was terminated, I don't know if they purged all my account data.

Technically, I don't know whether or not I could order new services under the old or new email, but I guess if they saw me again I wouldn't be surprised if they flagged me as suspicious or have me banned just out of spite.

FYI... I had changed my email around that time for all my providers I was using at the time (dozens), and that was the only one that was a problem.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Astro said:

@vitobotta said:

@Astro said:

@Francisco might have some insight if you genuinely need resolution.

@vitobotta cannot vouch for but maybe contabo? I think they're German as well and prices are similar - only read other people on the forums saying they bought from them.

• ralfralf Member

@vitobotta said:

• NetCup:
    • PHPFriends:
      In a way I am sad about this because they are both solid providers and I would definitely use them.

I'm frankly amazed either of them gave you a chance to do it a second time.

Thanked by 1chria838373
  • Not a LET provider but SendGrid abruptly closed my account without any warning. My usage was minimal for personal email. Since then I just don’t trust any big transactional email service.

I have ordered and cancelled netcup root servers within 14 days multiple times without any issues. But those were additional servers, I had at least one service that was being renewed regularly for months.