Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap set of HTTPS proxies
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap set of HTTPS proxies

mwtmwt Member

I want to monitor some sites by making https requests in a variety of different locations. I've been doing this with lots of little servers, but I might as well just use one location and send the requests through a simple proxy.

I'd like at least one proxy in each continent. Datacenter IPs are fine. I'm not trying to bypass any geoblocked content. I'm only accessing my own sites from different places.

My bandwidth needs are very low and I am flexible to the format. If it's easier to get these as SOCKS or even with an api endpoint that I send json to, that's fine. Dualstack (such that I can connect without IPv4) is ideal, but it's not required.

I'm considering using my VPN to connect and disconnect and cycle between regions, but that's a lot of overhead and setup effort for something that could be done with a simple proxy. I just wanted to check to see if this is something that anyone here offers.

Comments

• webshare.io
    rayobyte.com

Thanked by 1mwt
  • Many VPN providers also have HTTP/SOCKS proxies; be sure to check.

• GlobalPing can do HTTP requests from all countries. If you just need to programmatically check maybe that would work?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/179348/call-for-alpha-testers-a-new-global-network-testing-service-open-source#latest

• mwtmwt Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up using Mullvad's SOCKS proxies. I have to connect to them through the Wireguard interface, but I found a way to do this that kills two birds with one stone.

I put it on my IPv6-only stardust instance and routed just IPv4 through Mullvad. This gives me the advantage of being able to access these SOCKS proxies and IPv4 (which I didn't have previously).

Because I didn't route IPv6, I can still connect to all the ports there.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited July 2022

@mwt said:
    Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up using Mullvad's SOCKS proxies. I have to connect to them through the Wireguard interface, but I found a way to do this that kills two birds with one stone.

I put it on my IPv6-only stardust instance and routed just IPv4 through Mullvad. This gives me the advantage of being able to access these SOCKS proxies and IPv4 (which I didn't have previously).

Do you have any problems with rebooting while having a Stardust setup in that way?

Whenever I set a Stardust instance to funnel its IPv4 through Mullvad it always results in an issue where SSH fails to start on boot. I have to use the Serial console (Only works if you have a user with a set password) to get out of that situation. Another small issue I had was the internal Scaleway services not working which sometimes caused bash login to hang because of their MOTD they had at the time. Don't know if that's still there.

If it works for you, anything special about your setup? What's your AllowedIPs and how are you starting WireGuard on boot?

• mwtmwt Member

@Erisa said:

@mwt said:

Do you have any problems with rebooting while having a Stardust setup in that way?

Whenever I set a Stardust instance to funnel its IPv4 through Mullvad it always results in an issue where SSH fails to start on boot. I have to use the Serial console (Only works if you have a user with a set password) to get out of that situation. Another small issue I had was the internal Scaleway services not working which sometimes caused bash login to hang because of their MOTD they had at the time. Don't know if that's still there.

If it works for you, anything special about your setup? What's your AllowedIPs and how are you starting WireGuard on boot?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm setting a password now.

I rebooted a few times without issues. My allowed IPs are just:

AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0

I am using debian bullseye. I am using systemd to start the service

sudo systemctl enable wg-quick@mullvad-fr7

I'm using the default sshd_config as well. It's possible that I'm just lucky so far.

Have you tried setting AddressFamily inet6 in your sshd config? I haven't done this, but maybe it would help to not make sshd listen on the wireguard interface.

Thanked by 1Erisa