Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you rather have several VPS or a single dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you rather have several VPS or a single dedicated server?

AstroAstro Member
edited July 2022 in General

Would you rather have several VPS running a subset of the apps you need or a single dedicated server that runs them all? Any advantage of one over the other?

Thanked by 1digitalwicked
-
  1. Which one would you prefer?100 votes
    1. A single dedicated server with all the apps.
      43.00%
    2. Several VPS with different apps?
      57.00%

Comments

• drizbodrizbo Member

You didnt specify the usage. Because if you need high availability 1 server is never the answer.

• AstroAstro Member

@drizbo said:
    You didnt specify the usage. Because if you need high availability 1 server is never the answer.

nah most for personal shit - nextcloud, plex, linkace, syncthing, paperless-ng, bitwarden, etc

• sonicsonic Veteran

Several VPS with different apps

• AstroAstro Member

@sonic said:

any particular reasons?

• @Astro said: nah most for personal shit - nextcloud, plex, linkace, syncthing, paperless-ng, bitwarden, etc

You should at least separate them in different docker containers. No reason for an exploitable
    internet facing crap like plex, written in memory unsafe language like C++ will be on the same
    server as your bitwarden or syncthing.

Thanked by 2martheen sliix
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Astro said: single dedicated server that runs them all

SPOF.

• If I am using just 1 dedicated - I'm scared "what will happen if something with this server will go wrong".
    If I am using several VPS'es - I'm scared "what will happen if provider will vanish / disks on node will die".

Anyway, all production stuff just on one dedicated server. VPS just for playing / VPN other stuff.

@SashkaPro said: If I am using several VPS'es - I'm scared "what will happen if provider will vanish / disks on node will die".

1. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    2. Backup

These two should blow your fears away.

Thanked by 2ariq01 SinV
  • AstroAstro Member

@DP said:

SPOF.

SPOF?

• @Astro said:

@DP said:

SPOF.

SPOF?

Single Point of Failure

Thanked by 2DP WebProject
  • @DP said: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Sure! Backup twice to two different locations.
    I have 5-6 VMs + 4 other vps + a lot of free resources for more VPS.
    So, from financial point of view 1 server is cheaper than 10+ VPS.

My server in Hetzner now with raid.

I think that great idea will be:
    1. Disable IPv4 for server (-1,70 eur/monthly)
    2. Enable Failover IPv4 (+5,10 eur/monthly)
    3. Backup qcow/raw files to Hetzner SB
    4. Backup server configs to Hetzner SB.

Price difference is +3,4 eur/month (diff between usual and FO IP).

If shit happens just quick order new server, untar cfgs and download qcow's.

But if DC goes on fire?

@SashkaPro said: But if DC goes on fire?

Pick a different DC or help put out the fire.

• AstroAstro Member

I was leaning towards solely because for the price of all the VPSs combined, the hetzner dedi has a i7-8700 along with 16TB of storage. Hard to come by with such storage for different VPSes.

• I would have single dedi. If one app is in heavy use and others are idle, then the one app can use all the resources. That's a lot more than in one VPS. No lag.
    Of course if your dedi is down, then everything is down.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Astro said:

@sonic said:

any particular reasons?

Idk, you want to sleep, tight right?
    Imagine having all your shit running on a single dedi.

You need at least a working Disaster Recovery Plan and a few sleepless nights.
    If you are lucky, this can work for years without issues but the day will come.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@DP said:

@SashkaPro said: But if DC goes on fire?

Pick a different DC or help put out the fire.

almost 3 fires you will need to be aware of:
    1) fire sale
    2) OVH
    3) over heating, accidental fire, humidity and lightning strikes in Dublin Microsoft data centre

• AstroAstro Member

@Neoon said:

@Astro said:

@sonic said:

any particular reasons?

For my sensitive shit like nextcloud, I back it up to my gdrive using rclone. Rest I guess isn't as important. So I guess the high availability isn't a big concern for me personally. I can see how that might be important for people though.

• coldcold Member

several VPS on a single dedicated server !

• ariq01ariq01 Member

@DP said: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I put ma eggs in hosthatch and virmach, no support needed. 10/10

@Astro said:

@Neoon said:

@Astro said:

@sonic said:

any particular reasons?

For my sensitive shit like nextcloud, I back it up to my gdrive using rclone. Rest I guess isn't as important. So I guess the high availability isn't a big concern for me personally. I can see how that might be important for people though.

Its not HA, its that you on purpose, build everything with a single point of failure.
    I mean, my KS dedi from 2016 still runs without any single HW failure.

Meanwhile, the Fremont dedi, had 2 dead disks in 2 years.
    And I would not trust gdrive either.

• would rather have several datacentres

• ariq01ariq01 Member

@Neoon said:

may i know is it ssd or hdd? or what type of ks dedi?

• five vps.three of them expire and will not be renewed.

@ariq01 said:

@Neoon said:

may i know is it ssd or hdd? or what type of ks dedi?

HGST obviously, WD has already blown twice.
    Supposed to be an i3, its an i5 for the same price with 16GB and 2TB spinning rust.

10€ ish.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • I've transitioned to dedicated servers running proxmox and backup those selfhosted VMs to KS1(s).

Although the price for several SYS or OVH rise servers for me ends up being more. I found there wasn't that much between all of the VPS I would keep collecting because at the time it was a good price. More recently, I have really shifted to just selfhosting everything on dedicated servers due to the various network issues, messy migrations, RAID failures, support issues of various VPS providers. Unfortunately the potential OVH IP monthly costs may change my plans again...

Also turned off servers at home as the yearly power costs alone were more than a SYS-2-SSD/SAT-32.

• AstroAstro Member

@digitalwicked said:
    I've transitioned to dedicated servers running proxmox and backup those selfhosted VMs to KS1(s).

Although the price for several SYS or OVH rise servers for me ends up being more. I found there wasn't that much between all of the VPS I would keep collecting because at the time it was a good price. More recently, I have really shifted to just selfhosting everything on dedicated servers due to the various network issues, messy migrations, RAID failures, support issues of various VPS providers. Unfortunately the potential OVH IP monthly costs may change my plans again...

Also turned off servers at home as the yearly power costs alone were more than a SYS-2-SSD/SAT-32.

I’m thinking of going all in with my hetzner 16TB dedi after the 16 TB sys 2 server costs the same after including VAT. I might get rid of all my VPS except the hybula one.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Multiple dedicated servers with different providers. It's much more convenient for my use cases.

I do still grab the odd VPS for tiny things, often for network-bound processes.

• If the price is roughly the same, go with multiple vps, that way each app is independent, so if you get a ddos on one app it's not affecting all others.
    Same for when you have to apply patch/reboot. This will not put down everything.
    Of course do your backups somewhere else (eg: S3, it's cheap for backups and super reliable)

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

How many point of failures do you want