Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shodan.io Membership $5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shodan.io Membership $5

Comments

• AstroAstro Member

I can't really figure out what Shodan is - can someone ELI5?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Can't figure it out, either. Bought a lifetime acc years ago through a deal posted on here. Never used it.

• @Astro said:
    I can't really figure out what Shodan is - can someone ELI5?

A networking research tool. They port scan hosts across the internet and you can then use it to run investigations into hacked IOT devices, SCADA systems, residential networks, and the like; or just find the movements of a bad actor like I’ve used it to correlate new users to tinyweasel, find links between Elad Cohen’s IP stealing operation and Leapswitch networks (these two incidents are documented in my post history), and and find out attackers who’ve attacked the websites that I run.

@Ympker said:
    Can't figure it out, either. Bought a lifetime acc years ago through a deal posted on here. Never used it.

As you can already tell, I have it and like it.

Thanked by 3Chuck Logano martheen
  • Eh what the heck, never know when it might be useful!

• ChuckChuck Member

You would need to sign up for a free account first. Then you can buy the membership.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • amarcamarc Veteran

What is regular pricing of membership ?

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited July 2022

@amarc said:
    What is regular pricing of membership ?

$49, one time, IIRC.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • Good deal, thanks. I use it to keep an eye on my servers and ensure I'm not accidentally exposing anything publicly that I don't mean to.

I had an academic account but my university just decided to delete my email account recently so maybe I'll lose the Shodan account at some point. I graduated 11 years ago so I guess it's fine the university deleted it. It looks like the $5 account has fewer features than the academic account (no vuln tag search for example) but it's still a good deal.

Thanked by 2Chuck ariq01
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Good deal, thanks. I use it to keep an eye on my servers and ensure I'm not accidentally exposing anything publicly that I don't mean to.

I had an academic account but my university just decided to delete my email account recently so maybe I'll lose the Shodan account at some point. I graduated 11 years ago so I guess it's fine the university deleted it. It looks like the $5 account has fewer features than the academic account (no vuln tag search for example) but it's still a good deal.

No unlimited storage for education eh?

• pacopaco Member

Hint, if you search on Github you'll find plenty of keys with credits anyway.

• JamphJamph Member

Looked at this a while back, for £5 this is a bargain

• UmutUmut Member

@Daniel15 said:
    Good deal, thanks. I use it to keep an eye on my servers and ensure I'm not accidentally exposing anything publicly that I don't mean to.

I had also an academic account 2-3 years ago. Last year suddenly my API plan changed to "Membership API plan", but at Account page it still seems to be "Academic membership". Did you have a problem like this?

Account page ( https://account.shodan.io )

API page ( https://developer.shodan.io/dashboard )

I sent them three emails at different times of the year, but they have never replied.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • taizitaizi Member

@Umut said:

@Daniel15 said:

I had also an academic account 2-3 years ago. Last year suddenly my API plan changed to "Membership API plan", but at Account page it still seems to be "Academic membership". Did you have a problem like this?

I sent them three emails at different times of the year, but they have never replied.

just same as membership plan,plus vuln tag access,so you have these credit

• tjntjn Member

Thanks @Chuck !

• UmutUmut Member
    edited July 2022

@taizi said:

@Umut said:

@Daniel15 said:

just same as membership plan,plus vuln tag access,so you have these credit

I was searching this problem on Google and just saw this post:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ahakcil/status/1394750968030507009

He had exactly the same problem with me.

Shodan says:

the free Academic API plan is now only available to universities that want to monitor their networks. For the past few years, the automatic academic upgrade gave the Membership API and we've started to enforce that for legacy upgrades as well

I didn't know that. Because there isn't any info about this on their web site.

• $5 ..... Uffff... I can't afford it

• valkvalk Member

@Nokachishikimikika said:
    $5 ..... Uffff... I can't afford it

What?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@valk said:

What?

Maybe can't afford to resist :smiley:

Thanked by 1valk
  • roblowendroblowend Member
    edited July 2022

"Error: Your card was declined."

Three people have tried for me as well. What gives?

Thanked by 1doublesquare
  • @roblowend said: "Error: Your card was declined."

Weirdly enough, I wrote the wrong CVV by mistake and payment was declined but they activated the membership for me regardless.

• @roblowend said:
    "Error: Your card was declined."

If your card is valid then check your cards restrictions.

• ChuckChuck Member

I wonder if it's against the tos for 1 person have more than 1 membership account? I don't see the tos about it.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

Just bought it, it's an awesome tool that I've used in the past 👍

• I'm done... Yet again i missed it. FML

• Turns out I misunderstood how Docker's ports directive works and was exposing services to the internet I didn't mean to. The Shodan monitor e-mailed me to let me know about a new open port on one of my servers, which is how I realized this. Already worth the $5.

Thanked by 2Chuck MGarbis
  • JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

:'( Missed this

• AzenotAzenot Member

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Turns out I misunderstood how Docker's ports directive works and was exposing services to the internet I didn't mean to. The Shodan monitor e-mailed me to let me know about a new open port on one of my servers, which is how I realized this. Already worth the $5.

yeah, the same shit) but i found solution.
    there is example how i block 53 port for public interface:

# docker user rules
    -N DOCKER-USER
    -A FORWARD -j DOCKER-USER
    -A DOCKER-USER -i ens18 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j DROP
    -A DOCKER-USER -i ens18 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DROP
    -A DOCKER-USER -j RETURN

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • tjntjn Member
    edited July 2022

A little off-topic, but this is a good resource and more info for UFW + docker.
    https://github.com/chaifeng/ufw-docker

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @valk said:

What?

Understand you not?

"$5 ..... Uffff... I can't afford it"