Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto-closing old threads
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Auto-closing old threads

ralfralf Member

With the recent spate of necro-posting, I'm wondering why we don't just automatically close threads that have been inactive for e.g. a month or more, as most other forums do.

Maybe give the OP a chance to re-open a thread that got closed for inactivity, just in case it's an infrequent announcement channel.

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

That is an interesting point. I'll bring it up to the mods and see what can be done.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited July 2022

There are legitimate reasons to necrobump threads sometimes, but theyre usually done by OP. So if OP can bump their thread past a time and others can't, it would be ideal. Requires effort to add as functionality though.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

It might be a no go (auto closing threads) as Vanilla doesn't seem to support it, as well as some concerns like what @Erisa said. I guess we all just have to do our best to not necropost unless really needed.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • emghemgh Member

I've never understood what's so bad about it, if a thread is about Hetzner's performance in 2018, isn't it interesting to continue the discussion four years later - having a little history on hand?

People seem to have very strong feelings against necro, but I've never understood the issue.

Thanked by 4adly bikegremlin Zyra Abd
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Some feel very strongly against necroposting, others think it's good. In any case it can't be implemented automatically, so it will need to be done manually on a case by case basis.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@emgh said:
    I've never understood what's so bad about it, if a thread is about Hetzner's performance in 2018, isn't it interesting to continue the discussion four years later - having a little history on hand?

People seem to have very strong feelings against necro, but I've never understood the issue.

It's okay for a user to necropost if they show awareness of what they're doing and the necropost is relevant (e.g., see the thread on what APIC, etc. are)

But most necroposts aren't like this

A typical case is that of a new sign-up (or someone who has rarely participated) who mindlessly necroposts

Thanked by 2emgh skorous
  • mhnmhn Member

I feel like a notice like "Hey, this thread is 11 years old, don't bump it unless it's really necessary" would be the best solution to this

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2022

@mhn said:
    I feel like a notice like "Hey, this thread is 11 years old, don't bump it unless it's really necessary" would be the best solution to this

This!

Necro posting is like riding with underinflated tyres.
    Generally not a good idea, but sometimes there's a good reason for it. :)

In other words: necro sucks if done stupidly, and is good if done right (as mentioned above).

For the less-forum-experienced people, adding a warning should do it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • KassemKassem Member

I'm well aware last reply on this thread was almost a year ago. :)

@mhn said: I feel like a notice like "Hey, this thread is 11 years old, don't bump it unless it's really necessary" would be the best solution to this

I agree and seems like there is a plugin available for this:

https://github.com/bleistivt/necropost

Can we install it?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Most forms I've seen don't have an issue with necro posting. BUT does have a notice showing that this post is old and to make sure your issue relays directly with the issue in the post.