Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best S3 Compatible Object Storage Providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

edited July 2022 in Requests

I've already looked into Backblaze, AWS, and Wasabi.

Who else can you recommend?

Currently need around 500GB space with ability to grow. Would like fast speeds to US and Europe.

Edit: Just found https://www.storj.io - Anyone try them? Any good?

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Moved thread from General to Requests

• tjntjn Member

Are you looking for the best in terms of performance or the cheapest?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2022

I think in general AWS is going to have the most consistent performance. They're not focused on competing and their use in high profile production situations puts the fear of god into them.

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • @tjn said:

Probably some compromise, cheaper than AWS, but still decently fast.

• iirc I briefly tried Storj and it had noticeable latency on retrieving files through the S3 gateway, probably due to how they store files. Free tier is so generous it's easy to test, though.

Have you already tried Cloudflare R2? I think they still store all files in the US but it'll eventually be more spread out. Though it's not yet fully S3-compatible, missing e.g. presigned URL support

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Oracle Cloud Free Tier, object storage is S3 compatible and first 20GB is free.

• DazzleDazzle Member
    edited July 2022

I'm using Storj since around 6 month, so far no problem.

• tjntjn Member

@NewbieInTraining said:

@tjn said:

Probably some compromise, cheaper than AWS, but still decently fast.

I've tried them all and am very happy with B2 behind Cloudflare.
    It gets me good performance, scalable storage, decent pricing and free egress when using CF.

Wasabi is good too, but their 90 deletion policy doesn't work for me. Their "free" egress isn't entirely free either - it's a quota of how much you have stored with them. So 1TB gets you 1TB free egress, etc...

When data replication/redundancy isn't vital, but I still need S3 compatibility, I use Minio - it's great on a storage VPS.

• HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited July 2022

Contabo - https://contabo.com/en/object-storage/
    1.99€ per 250 GB, data transfer is free

• I switched from Wasabi and Backblaze B2 to iDrive e2 recently and I am happy (https://www.idrive.com/e2/).

It's cheaper (there's even an offer at the moment 1TB for just $4 for the first year, then it's $40/yr which is still cheaper than the others) and seems actually faster even than Wasabi which is already fast.

I have had zero problems so far and I use it for both static assets for my app as well as several backups of both my Mac and my servers. Everything has been working smoothly so far.

Thanked by 1arda
  • sotssots Member

idrive e2 - https://idrive.com/e2/
    $0.004/GB monthly or $40/TB yearly, 90% off in the first year
    Max egress bandwidth is 3 times of your storage capacity.
    Sounds cheap? But the problem is -- they have very bad support just like VirMach. They even don't have a ticket system. And if you want to get your S3 bucket to be public accessible, you have to contact support. I've waited for 4 days and until now they haven't responded.

• Serverius
    Scaleway - First 75GB are free

• szarkaszarka Member

I'm very happy with Backblaze B2. Saved me lots of $ vs. S3.

• @Yggdrasil_WS said:
    Serverius

Do you actually use Scaleway and get the first 75GB for free? They've always charged me for my usage, despite well under the 75GB and selecting 'one-zone' for my files. Support all but clueless, the best they could do was give me a 1 Euro voucher that expired within 3 months. Used it up by idling a stardust.

Hell, their 'standard' to 'cold-storage' product never worked for me, was never able to see my files change despite waiting upwards of 2 weeks.

Comical, getting monthly 1/2 cent charges on my card

Thanked by 1tenji
  • @sots said:
    idrive e2 - https://idrive.com/e2/
    $0.004/GB monthly or $40/TB yearly, 90% off in the first year
    Max egress bandwidth is 3 times of your storage capacity.
    Sounds cheap? But the problem is -- they have very bad support just like VirMach. They even don't have a ticket system. And if you want to get your S3 bucket to be public accessible, you have to contact support. I've waited for 4 days and until now they haven't responded.

iDrive E2 deletion speed is horrible, btw.

• @Yggdrasil_WS said:
    Serverius

Used to get first free 75GB free a while back but not recently with their new standard bucket. Pretty expensive compared to B2 or Wasabi.

• toppertopper Member

Scaleway(free 75GB)、Cloudflare(free egress and global distribution?)

• @MrMonkey said:

@Yggdrasil_WS said:
    Serverius

Do you actually use Scaleway and get the first 75GB for free? They've always charged me for my usage, despite well under the 75GB and selecting 'one-zone' for my files. Support all but clueless, the best they could do was give me a 1 Euro voucher that expired within 3 months. Used it up by idling a stardust.

Hell, their 'standard' to 'cold-storage' product never worked for me, was never able to see my files change despite waiting upwards of 2 weeks.

Try using a bucket in Amsterdam instead of Paris, its Standard class is part of the 75GB free tier. I've never been billed by Scaleway.

• @jar said:
    I think in general AWS is going to have the most consistent performance. They're not focused on competing and their use in high profile production situations puts the fear of god into them.

There's also Lightsail buckets as well which is just S3 with 2x free egress.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @MallocVoidstar said:

@MrMonkey said:

@Yggdrasil_WS said:
    Serverius

Try using a bucket in Amsterdam instead of Paris, its Standard class is part of the 75GB free tier. I've never been billed by Scaleway.

I've done all 3, and I've been billed on all 3.

Support says that I shouldn't be billed. I keep getting billed, no matter what I do. Shy of deleting the account and starting over, I just don't bother since this type of bullshit is synonymous with Online.net

• Tim_kwakmanTim_kwakman Member
    edited July 2022

@Hotmarer said:
    Contabo - https://contabo.com/en/object-storage/
    1.99€ per 250 GB, data transfer is free

I'd generally recommend not using Contabo's S3 storage at this point in time. I'm monitoring a small TXT file that just says "HTTP 200" and this week has been pretty bad in terms of uptime and stability. Sometimes you cannot connect at all, and at other times you'll get a "Slowdown" error while you've only used up 2 of the 250 requests allows as per the rate-limiting headers. The downtime is currently at around 6,5 hours just this week. They confirmed in a ticket that they are having some network issues with their EU Object Storage. It may be better in the future, but for the time being it is highly unstable.

Scaleway (both in AMS and PAR) have been okay, no major issues really over the past years. They recently switched to their multi-az system and (I think added, I've never seen it before) a max files limit to old buckets and if you want to be on the new system you'd have to move your data yourself, but you cannot use the same bucket name. I think Scaleway did things like raising prices pretty high in the past, so it may not be as suitable for the long term.

Bandwidth between Cloudflare and Scaleway is also not free (at least when I asked about it some years ago). It's only free between services at the same region. So a stardust instance can be a good proxy to get unlimited bandwidth.

Files have to be uploaded in the Single AZ class, or else you won't qualify for the 75GB free offer.

Wasabi has "unlimited" egress, but they have some polices written in their TOS and such. If the egress exceeds the amount of storage every month then they may ask you to pay for egress. And there is a retention policy, where if you'd remove a file, you'd still be billed for it for a few months. So it looks great from the outside, but do keep that in mind.

-Tim

• xmsxms Member

@Tim_kwakman said:
    They recently switched to their multi-az system and (I think added, I've never seen it before) a > max files limit to old buckets

I knew scaleway was going to do such shenanigans and had created all the buckets well in advance but I cannot see any limits on them.

• Tim_kwakmanTim_kwakman Member
    edited July 2022

@xms said:

@Tim_kwakman said:
    They recently switched to their multi-az system and (I think added, I've never seen it before) a > max files limit to old buckets

I knew scaleway was going to do such shenanigans and had created all the buckets well in advance but I cannot see any limits on them.

The object limitation for buckets created before the 27th of januari 2022 is 500k: https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/faq/new-object-storage-classes

Before there was no such limitation, it was more like a recommendation:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190703180604/https://www.scaleway.com/en/object-storage/

Under the FAQ section (from 2019):
    "There is no limit on the total volume of data of a bucket, or the number of objects it can contain. However, the bucket might slow down with a very large number of objects (more than 500,000)."

Perhaps the limitation that the new FAQ is talking about is also a recommendation - I have not tried to upload 500k objects. But it reads like a hard limit that was not there before. I have a bucket that has around 400k objects, so I was not happy about it, but that has been sorted by manually moving the files to their new system.

-Tim

Thanked by 1xms
  • I like BackBlaze's pay for what you use pricing, as opposed to some where you are on the hook for a block of x00Gb as soon as you upload the first byte. Switched from S3 a few years back and have been very happy.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

OVH also has Object Storage in their different locations which is surprisingly good so far for my usage https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-gb/public-cloud/object-storage/

• Yggdrasil_WSYggdrasil_WS Member
    edited July 2022

I both use Serverius and Scaleway.
    Serverius a while ago had a free 1TB storage slab which is plenty for my purpose and Scaleway i use for their cold storage which is very competitive priced.

• cobrahcobrah Member

I'm using storj to back up my sites for a while, I'm happy with it.

• LisoLiso Member

Anything here that has good connection to APAC region ?