Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud: very unprofessional support and broken IPv6 support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud: very unprofessional support and broken IPv6 support

KousakaKousaka Member
edited July 2022 in Providers

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is lazy to get an account here. He's looking to get a new VPS and considering GreenCloud. So GreenCloud's test IPv6 for their NL location is 2001:7f8:1::a505:8073:2, as shown on https://greencloudvps.com/data-centers.php. This address never worked, and after digging, this is the IPv6 range of AMS-IX, as shown here https://bgp.he.net/exchange/AMS-IX. 2001:7f8:1::a505:8073:2 is the peering address of YISP, which is their colocation DC.

At here, GreenCloud already looks unprofessional: peering IP at IXP is often now broadcasted at all, so it's stupid to use that for test IP. My friend went to their live chat support and selected tech support, here's the conversation.

To my eyes, this support guy has absolutely no idea about what's IPv6 at all. What's going on at GreenCloud?

Comments

• KousakaKousaka Member
    edited July 2022

Oops looks like screenshots are broken. Fixing.
    Fixed

• ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

Maybe you should try again and try not to be quite so confusing in your message.

If you'd started by saying "I tried to ping the IPv6 address <blah> that is listed on your LG page, but it appears to be down" they might have actually known what you were trying to ask.

I'd hazard a guess that if it's down, it's something they will rectify quickly. I don't have a VM with them in NL, but their IPv6 in SG seems to work well and as their configurations are very similar in all their DCs, it's probably just a temporary problem with the test server.

And nobody cares about your CCIE.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Disclaimer: I have no experience with "GreenCloud" nor have I heard of them before now.

But have you considered that live support might not be the best place for what I assume is a website bug report? A support ticket would be more likely to reach or be assignable to an engineer.

If I was to hazzard a guess they copied a template and didnt set the Test IPs or ranges have changed. Since you are talking to Live Support you might be better approaching it by requesting Test IPv6 and seeing what they provide. Thats a normal pre-sales question that a outsourced support representative may have the answers for available to them.

Thanked by 3Kousaka bulbasaur NDTN
  • raviravi Member

I never expect technical support via live chat by any hosting provider.
    The best way to get technical support is via a support ticket,

Thanked by 2Kousaka NDTN
  • Only thing I see here is your friend getting hostile and then saying it's the support agent who is unprofessional...

Your friend should have started chat for pre-sale support, and not technical support.

Thanked by 3Kousaka NDTN bdl
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Mod, could you please change the title :)

Thanked by 2Kousaka NDTN
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Maybe our support staff misunderstood your friend’s request, but I dont think it’s unprofessional. Your friend contacted our Live Chat with Technical department and it should be used when something is wrong with your services.
    Not an excuse, but we have 30 locations worldwide and sometimes the test IPs/files are not working or not up to date.
    We will look through the test IPs/files to fix the non-working ones, but I’m happy that your friend is not yet our customers, we dont need professional CCIE here.

Thanked by 3Kousaka ralf ariq01
  • Thanks everyone, I got your points. Yes he’s getting too hostile in this conversation, I’ll let him read this topic. And yes web chat should not be used for bug reporting. Thanks guys!

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • emghemgh Member

@SplitIce said: If I was to hazzard a guess they copied a template and didnt set the Test IPs or ranges have changed. Since you are talking to Live Support you might be better approaching it by requesting Test IPv6 and seeing what they provide. Thats a normal pre-sales question that a outsourced support representative may have the answers for available to them.

Then you're not very good with guessing because a template wouldn't have their colocation provider's IP.

They were too lazy to set up an IP for testing so they used their DCs.

• VoidVoid Member

Not unprofessional but clueless/poor comprehension skills, not unusual for a typical bot/live chat support agent. Nothing wrong with OP asking for a more technical person to take over.

Bragging about CCIE on the other hand was unnecessary though.

Thanked by 2ariq01 sliix
  • szarkaszarka Member

I've opened a few tickets with Greencloud so far and every time I've found them to be very professional. English is obviously not the first language of the person responding, so at least once it took another round to figure things out, but we got there in the end.

It's true that they do sometimes list test IPs or test files from their provider's LG instead of their own. For example, this test file for Kansas City, which appears to just be the one provided by NOCIX. Personally, I find this a bit misleading and I would never do that. But it's also not unheard of. (Like the enterprising young fellow who used to brag on his web page about "his" datacenter, when what he had was a tower PC co-lo'ed at my place…)

Thanked by 1foitin
  • magicvpnmagicvpn Member
    edited July 2022

I had a NL VPS with greencloud and if I'm correct IPv6 wasn't working at first but they quickly fixed that for me (after providing them the login).

Not sure what the issue was but I think they said it should've been automatic (the VPS did have IPv6 but no routing it seemed).

• szarkaszarka Member

Yep, I had a problem with IPv6 at the JAX location, where the box was turned up with a /64 not actually routed to it and not listed in the control panel. Got it fixed with a ticket. The other two locations I've tried worked fine out of the box, and no complaints about routing/performance.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited July 2022

@Kousaka said:
    I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is lazy to get an account here

>post on behalf of "friend"
    >shit hits the fan/get called out
    >backpedal "he shouldn't have done that"

• snzsnz Member

Isn't that an AI chatbot?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Kousaka said:
    I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is lazy to get an account here.

You sure? that friend ain't you?

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited July 2022

Use 2a02:2a38:1:278:1::1

Unfortunately many of their test file links are broken.
    Wish they could set up proper looking glass pages for traceroute/mtr test.

• bdlbdl Member

@snz said:
    Isn't that an AI chatbot?

It's a CCAI chatbot

• oh wow CCIE managed to find out something network wrong

ask your friend next to take master's degree on etiquette

Thanked by 1bulbasaur