Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there the official source of stop/spam words for an email?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there the official source of stop/spam words for an email?

Is there the official source of stop/spam words that would make an email, most likely, to get marked as spam? Meaning, the source that's open, free and available to everyone.

As I've found out, there should be around 500-800 word in it,

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

[AD]

• @Nokachishikimikika said:
    Is there the official source of stop/spam words that would make an email, most likely, to get marked as spam? Meaning, the source that's open, free and available to everyone.

As I've found out, there should be around 500-800 word in it,

No. Spam detection is mostly not based on keywords.
    If you are interested in this topic, you may google:
    Reverse DNS (rDNS)
    Sender Policy Framework (SPF)
    Domain key identified Mail (DKIM)

Most mail providers mark mails as Spam if the first 2 items are missing.

• edited June 2022

@HenryZhong said: If you are interested > in this topic, you may google:
    Reverse DNS (rDNS)
    Sender Policy Framework (SPF)
    Domain key identified Mail (DKIM)

You haven't understood my question. I haven't asked about how email providers check whether or not an email is a spam.

I've asked only about a list of spam worlds.

• edited June 2022

[spam link]

Mod edit (angstrom): Removed spam link

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

The official lists were disbanded as the international treaty expired and no single government wanted to continue funding it. However, I have some unofficial lists of shit here: https://github.com/mxroute/rspamd_rules/tree/master/lists

Don't worry though, if you use it to get around my filters and reach my clients with spam I'll just start adding secret unpublished lists :heart:

You'll notice the body spam map lists phrases and such but it needs routine dumping and rebuilding as spammers change tactics and keeping old rules just adds overhead for no gain. It was recently started over. As all such lists should be, IMO.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Nokachishikimikika said:

[spam link]

Mod edit (angstrom): Removed spam link

@Nokachishikimikika , don't spam

• M66BM66B Veteran

@jar said:
    The official lists were disbanded as the international treaty expired and no single government wanted to continue funding it. However, I have some unofficial lists of shit here: https://github.com/mxroute/rspamd_rules/tree/master/lists

Don't worry though, if you use it to get around my filters and reach my clients with spam I'll just start adding secret unpublished lists :heart:

You'll notice the body spam map lists phrases and such but it needs routine dumping and rebuilding as spammers change tactics and keeping old rules just adds overhead for no gain. It was recently started over. As all such lists should be, IMO.

Is maintaining lists like this feasible and useful? It seems like shooting at a constantly moving target to me, but maybe I am wrong?

Thanked by 1jar
    edited June 2022

@M66B said: Is maintaining lists like this feasible and useful? It seems like shooting at a constantly moving target to me, but maybe I am wrong?

It's better than not. Spammers have no trouble with SPF, DKIM, and reverse DNS these days. They'll fill your inbox full of junk that passes every technical test. Reactive as it may be, this actually cuts down a lot of spam. You've got the sendgrid spammers that send the same junk from the same IPs every time and ignore unsubscribe requests so you can target them by IP and/or text string. You've got SEO spammers that all use familiar enough language that you can reasonably target a fair bit of it with text strings. And then my favorite is you've got botnets that use the same strings and to change it they have to patch their botnet so for once the bulk workload shifts to them when you identify their common threads. It's not perfect but it's a good addition to the other stuff.

Really all spam fighting is reactionary and shooting a moving target when you think about it. It's human vs human, machine learning can't keep up.

Thanked by 2M66B mrTom

@jar said: Need a network to send spam from? RadWebHosting is looking for fresh spammers on their network at SpryServers!

Hi @jar , I would have thought that Spry Servers ran a clean operation, but I guess not? (I hadn't heard of RadWebHosting)

Thanked by 1jar
    edited June 2022

@angstrom said: Hi @jar , I would have thought that Spry Servers ran a clean operation, but I guess not? (I hadn't heard of RadWebHosting)

Yeah it's pretty bad. You can check out their ASN and pull up every /24 they have announced for them, which is a really good portion of their network, and it all pretty much looks like this one: https://bgp.he.net/net/45.41.215.0/24#_dns

Thanked by 1angstrom

@jar said:

@angstrom said: Hi @jar , I would have thought that Spry Servers ran a clean operation, but I guess not? (I hadn't heard of RadWebHosting)

Yeah it's pretty bad. You can check out their ASN and pull up every /24 they have announced for them, which is a really good portion of their network, and it all pretty much looks like this one: https://bgp.he.net/net/45.41.215.0/24#_dns

Wow

Seriously, I wouldn't have imagined that Spry Servers would allow this

Thanked by 1jar

@angstrom said: Seriously, I wouldn't have imagined that Spry Servers would allow this

I should probably back off him though. Would take him about 20 minutes to come kick my ass: https://bgp.he.net/net/23.131.216.0/24#_whois

Thanked by 2angstrom mrTom

@jar said:

@angstrom said: Seriously, I wouldn't have imagined that Spry Servers would allow this

I should probably back off him though. Would take him about 20 minutes to come kick my ass: https://bgp.he.net/net/23.131.216.0/24#_whois

So Tyler is so close to Hallsville? :) (I haven't checked)

You like to live dangerously :wink:

Thanked by 1jar
  • afnafn Member

@Nokachishikimikika said: As I've found out, there should be around 500-800 word in it,

I have sent emails with less than 500 words, and they were not spam.

Most websites I created send password reset with less than 500 words, and these are not spam neither...

• You need something like Bayesian spam filtering and train it with spam and non-spam messages.

@chihcherng said:
    You need something like Bayesian spam filtering and train it with spam and non-spam messages.

Best I've seen this do in recent years is nothing until 2 years of training in, at which point it hits massive false positives. Bayesian is dead, spammers are too human now.

Thanked by 1M66B
  • @jar said:

If you have to put "Rad" in your name, you're definitely not "Rad".

Thanked by 1jar