Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 4TB storage to rsync backups to
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 4TB storage to rsync backups to

I'm looking for a server or VPS to use as a backup server. I would like it to be in the US, but will consider other locations with good connections. 2gb ram and the ability to install a linux desktop on it. I'm going to work now and will not be able to check back in until tomorrow, so forgive me for not answering any questions in a timely manner. Budget is under $20.

Comments

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

You can check out our plan:
    STKVM-4TB
    2v Core CPU
    2GB RAM
    None Swap
    4TB HDD
    4TB @ 1Gbps Uplink
    1 IPv4 + 1 IPv6 IP
    Included DDoS Protection
    Dallas, TX Location
    $17.00 USD Monthly
    https://billing.leveloneservers.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=82

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

Maybe Servarica (in Montreal, Canada), their Penguin Storage plan.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • If its solely for backup consider hetzners storage box. Not in us and no compute/ram but for straight backup purposes it's great for cost.

Thanked by 2szymonp Hetzner_OL
  • mhnmhn Member

ovh kimsufi - two KS-1's, you should get 2TB each even if it says 1

• ralfralf Member

@mhn said:
    ovh kimsufi - two KS-1's, you should get 2TB each even if it says 1

And if you get the one I just cancelled, you'll get about 20KB/year bandwidth to the US!

(Although I was unlucky, my other OVH boxes are fine)

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

+1 for hetzner storage boxes.

also @NetDynamics24 have the 2 hetzner locations (DE+FI) + 1 US location.

Check out the threads around here, maybe you can find some 20-30% off coupon somewhere, they shared a few iirc

IMHO, you should rethink why do you want a full GUI desktop in storage space, ofc your choice, but is it really that necessary?

• @afn said:

+1 for hetzner storage boxes.

also @NetDynamics24 have the 2 hetzner locations (DE+FI) + 1 US location.

Check out the threads around here, maybe you can find some 20-30% off coupon somewhere, they shared a few iirc

IMHO, you should rethink why do you want a full GUI desktop in storage space, ofc your choice, but is it really that necessary?

Hetzner storage boxes use redundant arrays, netdynamics do not. Therefore I'd be more likely to recommend going with Hetzner direct.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL kalipus
  • szarkaszarka Member

@wilbo said:
    I'm looking for a server or VPS to use as a backup server. I would like it to be in the US, but will consider other locations with good connections. 2gb ram and the ability to install a linux desktop on it. I'm going to work now and will not be able to check back in until tomorrow, so forgive me for not answering any questions in a timely manner. Budget is under $20.

Would object storage work for your use case? You can store 4 TB for $20/month on Backblaze's S3-compatible B2 service. And if you use less, you pay less.

• 1fichier + rclone is roughly $4/mo for 4tb

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • szarkaszarka Member

@darkimmortal said:
    1fichier + rclone is roughly $4/mo for 4tb

Secure private storage, though? Not seeing anything on their site about that. Looks like it's all about file sharing and CDN, with some optional "password protection"?

• @szarka said: Secure private storage

Always encrypt with rclone for example before uploading

• szarkaszarka Member

@jahrinc said:

@szarka said: Secure private storage

Always encrypt with rclone for example before uploading

Sure. But I still don't want my encrypted backups sitting on a public URL.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2022

to rsync backups to

I'd recommend creating two separate backups rather than doing one backup then rsyncing to another location. If something goes wrong with your first backup (corruption, bit rot, accidental deletion of files in the backup, etc), the corruption will be rsynced to the second server, which really isn't what you want. The whole point of having a second backup is to have a copy of it in case the first one breaks in some way :smile:

Borg advises against this in their FAQ: https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-copy-or-synchronize-my-repo-to-another-location

Good backup systems like Borgbackup, Restic, Duplicacy, etc are fast enough that doing two backups for each client system is easily doable.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @darkimmortal said:
    1fichier + rclone is roughly $4/mo for 4tb

The API rate-limiting is a big fucking ballache. Even --tpslimit 3 gets you locked out.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • afnafn Member

@LiliLabs said: Hetzner storage boxes use redundant arrays, netdynamics do not. Therefore I'd be more likely to recommend going with Hetzner direct.

Yeah but he wanted US location, which hetzner does not offer (for storage boxes)

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

@darkimmortal said: 1fichier + rclone is roughly $4/mo for 4tb

That is not advice, that is how to get him doomed. (+ It's not even US location, so no reason to go with them, no quality, not location of preference, nothing)

no matter what you do, avoid 1fichier, it's the equivalent of cociu, if you ask them for support they will tell you "no fuck u, each email costs us 25€, we can't offer support"

Not to mention the low quality service, the poor interface (but at least not bloated with too much heavy JS) and the API is a joke.

Do yourself a favor and avoid them. Pulsedmedia, with all the drama you see here on LET is better than them!

BTW, you can also buy your own drive and use it with RPI servers from @DataIdeas-Josh (i don't know if they still offer the drive colocation service?)

• @Daniel15 said: I'd recommend creating two separate backups rather than doing one backup then rsyncing to another location. If something goes wrong with your first backup

That is good advice generally, though you should also keep snapshots rather than just the latest copy otherwise corruption or accidental/malicious deletion at source could be replicated in all your backups (however you propagate them) before you notice the damage. Periodic validation of stored contents reduces the potential for corruption at any point going undetected for long (compute checksums and recompute and recompare later, also compare latest against source).

If using soft-offline backups as your second step you are essentially forced to take a second copy from a previous generation copy (the whole point of this arrangement is to stop either source or final backup locations being able to authenticated directly between each other, stopping a malicious actor getting into one system being able to easily affect the other). Whether you consider the extra safety to be worth the need for extra hassle in the above mitigations depends on the worth of your data and your threat model (you may decide the compromise is the worst of both worlds and opt for a true air gap instead).