Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bored LowEnd Yacht Club: Have You Bought any NFTs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bored LowEnd Yacht Club: Have You Bought any NFTs?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Anyone?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

no

• no

• No.

For folks interested in a technical read about NFTs and web3 in general: https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

Thanked by 3BlaZe Erisa TimboJones
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

No. I don't like the NFT idea at all.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

I don't think there is enough whiskey in the world that I can drink to make me buy an NFT before passing out.

• ehabehab Member

what is NFT? network file transX

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@ehab said:
    what is NFT?

Unless using something like ipfs, eventually it'll be a link to a penis enlargement advertisement or goatse.

• ehabehab Member
    edited June 2022

@jackb said:
    penis enlargement

yep, sounds good

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just a small one, to familiarize myself with the surrounding culture. It’s hit too high levels of adoption to be ignored, but it’s still well within parameters for criticism.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jar said: Just a small one, to familiarize myself with the surrounding culture

So the process is after paying for it you download it? Do you have the copyrights of say a picture NFT?

Thanked by 1jar
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I rather invest my money into Bitcoin while its still diving deep.

• HakimHakim Member

Nope. Don't like the idea. I would rather bet on shitcoins.

edited June 2022

@Arkas said:

@jar said: Just a small one, to familiarize myself with the surrounding culture

So the process is after paying for it you download it? Do you have the copyrights of say a picture NFT?

Pretty much spot on. No copyright ownership or anything of the sort. It's as stupid as I thought it was, but I appreciate going through it to actually confirm. It's crazy how many things I once thought to be stupid are now part of my daily life. But in the process I did come around to at least this somewhat positive outlook on it:

It's not really that much different from owning a crypto coin. It's just a fancier coin. But just like any other crypto coin, it only has value if and when other people agree that it does.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

Just a quick note. Copyright is an actual process and designation managed by the US Copyright Office (and other respective country's copyright office). An NFT gives you ownership to a link that "should" be directed to the image asset that "you hold the unique link to".

People associate it with holding ownership to art, but realistically art has more value (physically and economically) than an NFT. An NFT or any NFT technology is unrelated to anything associated with the US Copyright Office or other country's rights offices.

Thanked by 3Arkas jar TimboJones
  • coldcold Member

I rather buy some dedis from @cociu

Thanked by 2ehab Peppery9
    edited June 2022

@HalfEatenPie said: art has more value

I think real art and NFT actually have the same value at the high end, but it's not a value that people realize is there. Art is how wealthy people launder money and buy favors. You see "Dude just wasted a million dollars on a drawing of a monkey" but someone else sees "The owner of that monkey drawing was voting on relevant legislation tomorrow." NFTs further obfuscate the activity to a degree.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jar said: Art is how wealthy people launder money and buy favors.

There's also a fair amount of conspicuous consumption. "Let me show you my Picasso...yes, that's right, I can afford one..."

Thanked by 2jar Arkas
  • Trick thread, it's just to make fun of you if you did.

• cloudservercloudserver Member, Patron Provider

I bought one as it was used as a way to pre-launch a coin called DaoDao. It was a small investment to familiarize myself with the process. At least this had a use case, my mind cannot comprehend people spending thousands or hundreds of thousands on NFTs.

• @raindog308 said:
    Anyone?

Oh, I thought this topic was going a different way because Jon Bilho & his dad actually do sell yachts.