Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH server expires soon, need a new main server for foreseeable future
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH server expires soon, need a new main server for foreseeable future

Looking for something comparable to the SYS-LE-2 sale:
Xeon E5-2650v2 8c/16t
128gb ram
2 x 1920 GB NVME
250 Mbps unmetered

In ranking of spec importance: storage/network, ram, CPU

My OVH server expires soon so this will preferably be my main server that I use for all my projects and as a media/streaming server.

Budget is around $70 or under a month. If these specs are not possible I am also willing to get a less powerful server then buy and send hardware to be installed as if there's no problems then I'll be renting this server for the next few years.

Kind of wish I jumped on the 3700X deal posted by MrRadic but maybe he can help me work something out haha...

Comments

• how much are you paying for this one?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@lala_th said:
    how much are you paying for this one?

That OVH is a limited special that's like $80 or something.

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited June 2022

@MikeA said:

@lala_th said:
    how much are you paying for this one?

That OVH is a limited special that's like $80 or something.

It was even better, $57.99/mo
    It's such a fascinating machine. You won't find anything like it at its price. But then it has obvious downsides too.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • My current OVH machine is an ADVANCE-2 machine that I signed a 2 year contract with for around 77 dollars a month. The SYS-LE-2 machine was indeed an abnormality and was going for 50 euros iirc

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

It is not that impossible ...I think It can be matched more or less, the 4TB nvme makes a bit hard. Maybe @HostSlick can do it? Or you can ask for a custom from andy10gbps or walkerservers, make it clear that you are willing to go for a long term commitment, it may reduce the price.

If not, just go with hetzner, you were paying 77$ (~74euro) /month for that? With hetzner you get something close for 47€ with 3x 1 TB, 64gb of ram, and you can upgrade storage and ram, tweak things as you wish, it will still be cheaper or same price.

see 1743213

or tweak their cheapest AX, too bad they had and 8700 EX with 128GB of ram by default, but that default config is no longer available, only via auction..

• I think the thing that makes it hard is that I live in the US and would not want to deal with the transatlantic latency

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@afn said:
    It is not that impossible ...I think It can be matched more or less, the 4TB nvme makes a bit hard. Maybe @HostSlick can do it? Or you can ask for a custom from andy10gbps or walkerservers, make it clear that you are willing to go for a long term commitment, it may reduce the price.

If not, just go with hetzner, you were paying 77$ (~74euro) /month for that? With hetzner you get something close for 47€ with 3x 1 TB, 64gb of ram, and you can upgrade storage and ram, tweak things as you wish, it will still be cheaper or same price.

see 1743213

or tweak their cheapest AX, too bad they had and 8700 EX with 128GB of ram by default, but that default config is no longer available, only via auction..

Thanks for the mention but our price is arround x2 the budget or higher. And lowering prices with the demand we have is not much of interest

Hetzner would be best choice, yes. Or stay at OVH for EU. Otherwise might look in US but still questionable.

• TrycsTrycs Member
    edited June 2022

[text advertising server]

Mod edit (angstrom): You need a Host Rep tag to reply to requests

• TrycsTrycs Member
    edited June 2022

[tor relay link]

Mod edit (angstrom): Again, you need a Host Rep tag to reply to requests

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Have you seen the offers from pebblehost here? @dann00 might be able to accommodate you. Granted they are not as big as OVH or Hetzner, but their services and support seem to be extremely good.

• dann00dann00 Member, Patron Provider

@Arkas said:
    Have you seen the offers from pebblehost here? @dann00 might be able to accommodate you. Granted they are not as big as OVH or Hetzner, but their services and support seem to be extremely good.

Thanks for the mention - you're probably best looking at our Enhance-01 or Essential-03 configurations, https://pebblehost.com/dedicated/

• Hi,
    we can offer this server:

CPU 2x Intel Xeon X5650
    RAM 128GB DDR3 ECC
    SSD 2x 2TB SAS 10K
    UPLINK 300 Mbps unmetered

NCR €250,00 €100,00
    MCR €150,00 €70,00

• mwtmwt Member

@c1vhosting said:
    NCR €250,00 €100,00
    MCR €150,00 €70,00

What does this NCR/MCR thing that you keep posting mean?

• @mwt said:

@c1vhosting said:
    NCR €250,00 €100,00
    MCR €150,00 €70,00

Hi,
    NCR: Non recurring cost (Setup fee)
    MCR: Monthly recurring cost (Monthly fee)

• afnafn Member

@c1vhosting said:

@mwt said:

@c1vhosting said:
    NCR €250,00 €100,00
    MCR €150,00 €70,00

Hi,

Then why don't you simply call them like everyone else does!?
    (one time) Setup fee + XX monthly

Thanked by 2mwt darkimmortal
  • Thanks for all the offers but maybe I should've mentioned that I'm looking for something in North America which is why I'm having trouble. Unfortunately American capitalism is no match for German ingenuity.

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

US has cheap servers too!

Maybe @DataIdeas-Josh ?

At least, I think you can find the server you want for that price but you may have to buy the drives and send them, or pay them to buy the drives for you.

P.S if you're buying the drives, you might as well want to go the extra mile and pay ~300 more and get a server and find a colocation, you can probably find sth for under 50$

• @afn said:

@c1vhosting said:

@mwt said:

@c1vhosting said:
    NCR €250,00 €100,00
    MCR €150,00 €70,00

Hi,

Then why don't you simply call them like everyone else does!?
    (one time) Setup fee + XX monthly

Typically it is used NCR and MCR to talk about offers. But thank you for the feedback and I'll work on it

Thanked by 1afn
  • @afn said:

Maybe @DataIdeas-Josh ?

At least, I think you can find the server you want for that price but you may have to buy the drives and send them, or pay them to buy the drives for you.

P.S if you're buying the drives, you might as well want to go the extra mile and pay ~300 more and get a server and find a colocation, you can probably find sth for under 50$

That might be a good idea, I've never thought about colocation before. Do you have any suggestions?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@davidw1101 said:

@afn said:

Maybe @DataIdeas-Josh ?

That might be a good idea, I've never thought about colocation before. Do you have any suggestions?

Good day,
    Is this a plex box or something?
    Where at in the US you prefer?
    We are great for colocation. I have seen people use our Micro colo option with using a Dell micro pc (something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/234135800334) and attaching some external hdds.
    Shoot us a PM or come join us on our Discord and we can help you design something or come up with a custom VPS/Dedicated package.
    https://discord.gg/DsHgM6s
    ~Josh

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@davidw1101 said:

@afn said:

Maybe @DataIdeas-Josh ?

Good day,
    Is this a plex box or something?
    Where at in the US you prefer?
    We are great for colocation. I have seen people use our Micro colo option with using a Dell micro pc (something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/234135800334) and attaching some external hdds.
    Shoot us a PM or come join us on our Discord and we can help you design something or come up with a custom VPS/Dedicated package.
    https://discord.gg/DsHgM6s
    ~Josh

For colocation, where is your data center's physical address? Or roughly the area?
    Do you need customers to ship the computer to you? or go phyically to your data center to move in?

@letlover said:
    For colocation, where is your data center's physical address? Or roughly the area?
    Do you need customers to ship the computer to you? or go phyically to your data center to move in?

Good day,
    When you sign up for the service we will send you the shipping address in your welcome email.
    We are located just North of Houston, Texas
    https://dataideas.com/trgdatacenters.html

You can ship us (or drop ship even) the devices and we will rack it up.
    You are welcome to drop off the device as well if local.
    If your device need configuration either we can do that for a small fee or can hook up our KVM Spider (remote crash cart) for you to access your machine.
    ~Josh

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@letlover said:

Good day,
    When you sign up for the service we will send you the shipping address in your welcome email.

If your device need configuration either we can do that for a small fee or can hook up our KVM Spider (remote crash cart) for you to access your machine.
    ~Josh

If I order a 2-u colo, am I allowed to check my rack space in person? Or I just need some remote hands all of the time? Thanks.

@letlover said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@letlover said:

Good day,

~Josh

If I order a 2-u colo, am I allowed to check my rack space in person? Or I just need some remote hands all of the time? Thanks.

Good day,
    We offer free basic remote hands and if something beyond that is needed I'll take care of it. We'll work with you on this. (And considering the price of fuel. If I'm already at the DC. No point in burning the fuel if not needed :) )
    If you want to come in. It will need to be scheduled.
    ~Josh

Thanked by 2letlover dosai
  • melp57melp57 Member

@davidw1101 said:
    Thanks for all the offers but maybe I should've mentioned that I'm looking for something in North America which is why I'm having trouble. Unfortunately American capitalism is no match for German ingenuity.

Racknerd.com...

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi Josh!

@DataIdeas-Josh said: free basic remote hands

Any chance of a hint, please, about what sorts of tasks are "basic," and, therefore, free. :)

@DataIdeas-Josh said: If I'm already at the DC.

How often are you there? :)

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi Josh!

Any chance of a hint, please, about what sorts of tasks are "basic," and, therefore, free. :)

Generally "basic" remote hands includes stuff like button presses, drive hotswap, etc. For most places that include "basic" hands, as soon as the server needed to be opened, you'd be billed (RAM swap, CPU repaste, etc)

Thanked by 2Not_Oles letlover
    edited June 2022

@LiliLabs said:

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi Josh!

Generally "basic" remote hands includes stuff like button presses, drive hotswap, etc. For most places that include "basic" hands, as soon as the server needed to be opened, you'd be billed (RAM swap, CPU repaste, etc)

@LiliLabs hit the nail on the head.

@Not_Oles - As far as how often I'm there. At a minimum its once a month for re-provisioning of the SD cards for the RPiServers. Just all depends on what's needed.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • jingfanqinjingfanqin Member
    edited June 2022