Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fastest Wordpress Stack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fastest Wordpress Stack

niranjanniranjan Member

Hi,

I want to set up WordPress on my VPS(4Cores + 16GB RAM). Currently, I'm using Apache + PHP, I'm getting good scores on Gtmetrix but on page speed insights the mobile score is way too low for the specs I'm paying for.

I would really appreciate it if anyone wants to share how I can improve my backed. I read an article about the fastest WordPress stack here.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really love to give it a try.

Thank You.!

Thanked by 1Vondelphia

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Moving this to a more appropriate category ✌️

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

I've tested them all like 2 years ago.
    CentMinMod from @eva2000 was the fastest.

I recommend to read this
    https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-boost-centmin-mod-lemp-stack-performance.13776/

OR
    you can just generate static files or do fullpage caching. Stack dont matter that much then.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • Can you try https://pagespeed.web.dev/ and send the link here? Its by Google and is called PageSpeed Insights. It also shows you what is wrong and what you can improve in a lot more details.

If you don't mind ofcourse.

• themewthemew Member

Dump Apache for only Nginx, and use Nginx PHP-FPM FastCgi caching (no WP plugins) or add Varnish to Nginx and your TTFB will drop to 50ms or less depending on your skin and if you graphics are optimized.

• @AXYZE said:
    I've tested them all like 2 years ago.
    CentMinMod from @eva2000 was the fastest.

I recommend to read this
    https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-boost-centmin-mod-lemp-stack-performance.13776/

OR
    you can just generate static files or do fullpage caching. Stack dont matter that much then.

Oh, thank you, I'll definitely read and try this one. Will let you know the results.

• @Otus9051 said:
    Can you try https://pagespeed.web.dev/ and send the link here? Its by Google and is called PageSpeed Insights. It also shows you what is wrong and what you can improve in a lot more details.

Sure, here's my pagespeed result. The desktop performance is okay but idk why the mobile one isn't that great.

• @themew said:
    Dump Apache for only Nginx, and use Nginx PHP-FPM FastCgi caching (no WP plugins) or add Varnish to Nginx and your TTFB will drop to 50ms or less depending on your skin and if you graphics are optimized.

ah, I'm an apache guy, but I've been trying different nginx scripts for the past day, so far I haven't seen any results.

• @niranjan said:

@Otus9051 said:
    Can you try https://pagespeed.web.dev/ and send the link here? Its by Google and is called PageSpeed Insights. It also shows you what is wrong and what you can improve in a lot more details.

Sure, here's my pagespeed result. The desktop performance is okay but idk why the mobile one isn't that great.

Dude, that link literally tells you exactly what to do if you want a higher score on mobile. You have a high score for desktop which means your backend isn't the problem (at least when it comes to pagespeed score)

For example

Eliminate render-blocking resources
    Resources are blocking the first paint of your page. Consider delivering critical JS/CSS inline and deferring all non-critical JS/styles.
    There are a number of WordPress plugins that can help you inline critical assets or defer less important resources. Beware that optimizations provided by these plugins may break features of your theme or plugins, so you will likely need to make code changes.

Things like these have nothing to do with your webserver.

Minimize main-thread work
    Reduce JavaScript execution time

Thanked by 1AndrewL64
  • LexLex Member

Try wordops: https://github.com/WordOps/WordOps

I've been using them with much lower VPSes and the out-of-the-box performance is amazing.

This is a short how-to for Debian:

apt update -y && apt upgrade -y
    wget -qO wo wops.cc && bash wo
    wo site create DOMAIN.COM --wp --php81 --wpfc --letsencrypt
    wo stack install --redis

Last one with Redis is optional.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

The fastest is always the cached one, which doesn't matter if the backend is wordpress or not. Varnish can easily do 20K+ req/sec on a low spec VPS.

Thanked by 2desperand themew
  • mwtmwt Member
    edited June 2022

If you're the only visitor, then it won't matter what you use... All this optimization stuff is for increasing the req/s you can take.

@Lex said:

Do you like it better than SlickStack?

• @niranjan said:

@Otus9051 said:

Honestly, its normal. I had a WP Hosting on Hostinger for a while, same results almost. Then I used WP2Static and switched to CloudFlare Pages. Running great.

The content doesn't change much so yeah, its good for me. BTW I looked at your content and I think you can survive with Hugo or a Static Blog Generator like Hugo. But it still depends on you.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited June 2022

A lot has to do with how you made the site using WordPress.
    In other words, you could have the fastest stack/server in the world, yet still have a site that loads relatively slowly.

Example, two sites on the same (basic, shared/reseller) hosting and using the same WordPess themes:

Very simple site

VS

Embedded YouTube videos and a lot more elements on the page

• Update:

Thank You Everyone for showing interest and pointing me in the right direction. So I haven't actually tried Nginx on my main site yet but I'm glad to inform you guys that I'm getting a 91 on page speed for Mobile and 95 for Desktop. Click here for the result.

To achieve this all I did was disable Auto Ads in Adsense and inlined Critical CSS using the Jetpack Boost Plugin. I tried various cache plugins but I did not see any major difference.
    I also used multiple hostnames, so that the browser can load multiple files simultaneously.

I'll try WordOps and SlickStack today and will inform you guys how it goes!

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@niranjan said:
    I also used multiple hostnames, so that the browser can load multiple files simultaneously.

Wait what? This is what HTTP/2 is for - async downloading.
    Multiple hostnames add DNS lookup latency.

• TK93TK93 Member

I'm using the same server with Serveravatar litespeed stack. Works great

• @TK93 said: I'm using the same server with Serveravatar litespeed stack. Works great

Congrats on your first spammy post!

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

but guys. It doesn't matter if it's 0.1s load time or 1-2s. It won't affect SEO or user experience. Who cares :P

• TK93TK93 Member
    edited June 2022

@SpeedTest said:

@TK93 said: I'm using the same server with Serveravatar litespeed stack. Works great

Congrats on your first spammy post!

Thanks. Do not understand why it is a 'spammy post' If I say something positive about a service. Been browsing LET for 2 years and got some pretty sweet deals here so I thought why not make a account. I dont care if you use Serveravatar, can also use Word0ps, works great too.

• BetaMasterBetaMaster Member
    edited June 2022

Centminmod of course if you done it right. @eva2000's consistency and dedication is amazing!! There are always new features and technology added to make your site blazingly fast. Centminmod is really well documented even I, as a beginner, got A+ performance score easily.

• mwtmwt Member

@niranjan said:
    I'll try WordOps and SlickStack today and will inform you guys how it goes!

Those are backend speedups. You want a front end speedup (like css combine/inlining). This can be done with plugins (as you saw).

WordOps and SlickStack are speedups that help with surviving large floods of users. They aren't going to increase this score if you already have a good desktop score.

Thanked by 1jessuppi
  • @ezeth said:
    but guys. It doesn't matter if it's 0.1s load time or 1-2s. It won't affect SEO or user experience. Who cares :P

Um, ever heard of Core Web Vitals?. I think they do play an important role in SEO. That's why I'm trying to improve site performance. In my niche, the competition is not that tough so having a fast website + good Core Web Vitals would play an important role in ranking.

edited June 2022

@niranjan said: Um, ever heard of Core Web Vitals

Yes it's what I am referring to. They confirmed on search console YouTube channel that there's absolutely no difference if one site loads in 0.1s, and another in 2s. They go by these good, needs improvement, bad charts. Anything under 2s is good.

it is also not important. If one site has better content then it will take that one anyway even if load time is slow as fuck

You can see it in search console.

Pagespeed, web dev lab scores does not matter in ranking.

Thanked by 1larmarat
  • larmaratlarmarat Member
    edited June 2022

@ezeth said:
    Pagespeed, web dev lab scores does not matter in ranking.

I do SEO as my job. That's all true. Often see people get confused by Core Web Vital mesures in pagespeed insights.

And yeah for ranking CWVs are only ever a tie breaker (only matter if search engines think they are the exact same quality in other measures, which almost never happens). Not something to obsess over.

They can certainly make a difference to conversions and user behaviour metrics though.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

@niranjan said:

@ezeth said:

Um, ever heard of Core Web Vitals?. I think they do play an important role in SEO. That's why I'm trying to improve site performance. In my niche, the competition is not that tough so having a fast website + good Core Web Vitals would play an important role in ranking.

They sadly don't play important role. Just look how fucked up CWVs are for major news sites with 999 ads. Just make sure people don't bounce off your site. 1s loading seriously doesn't matter, people are used to it.

• JasonMJasonM Member

changing to PHP-FPM made wonders for my wp site on shared server.
    adding disk-cache, plus, opcache and apcu and adding docket-cache plugin (for persistent caching of all database queries, pre-loading that cache) boosted speed by 4x to 5x in backend. Add WP table index plugin to add indexes to WP database. It helps in boosting speed.

Lastly added JCH optimize plugin (it combines all js files into 1, caches, minifies it.) I had 17 .js files loading separately (for theme, plugins, analytics, jquery, etc) each file was 2KB to 20KB and took 90ms to 180ms to load (on first attempt at cloudflare), with JCH plugin the entire file was around 78 KB, and loaded in 200ms only on first attempt or first page pull request. This helped for super-fast loading at front end.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Guys, I have an update:

So I switched my theme to Blocksy (Not that it matters) and installed the WP-Rocket plugin, and it did wonders for my website!.

I simply enabled the "Load JavaScript deferred" and "Delay JS Execution" in WP-Rocket and it gave me 100 on Mobile and 100 on Desktop in PageSpeed!.

I also removed the Jetpack boost plugin.

Thank You guys for your suggestions and valuable time.!

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • raviravi Member

@niranjan said:
    Guys, I have an update:

So I switched my theme to Blocksy (Not that it matters) and installed the WP-Rocket plugin, and it did wonders for my website!.

I simply enabled the "Load JavaScript deferred" and "Delay JS Execution" in WP-Rocket and it gave me 100 on Mobile and 100 on Desktop in PageSpeed!.

wow... thats great. I will also give a try to WP-Rocket plugin.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

• @ravi said:

@niranjan said:
    Guys, I have an update:

wow... thats great. I will also give a try to WP-Rocket plugin.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

You should also try Jetpack Boost. Works quite well.