Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for 10 Gbit Network Equipment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendations for 10 Gbit Network Equipment

lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can recommend 10 gbit network switches for the following use cases:

Use case 1: Data center

• Should support BGP and just be a data center switch in a sense that a cross connect can be run to an IP transit provider and everything will work

Use case 2: Office/mining farm

• Should support standard office networking topologies. Most ISPs give an external IP, so the switch should be able to support NAT.

Budget: <$1k, preferably $500 or less

Ideally, a switch satisfies both use cases, but I'm not too sure.

Reasoning (if you're curious): mining profits have crashed. Instead of buying GPUs, we're working on a marketplace where ex-miners who upgrade to server-grade hardware and upgrade to support 10 gbit networking (allowing for block storage) would have their GPU servers listed our website. They'd be running our hypervisor, which would be based on libvirt or OpenStack, and VMs from our customers would automatically be orchestrated.

We need network equipment to recommend for our hosts that would work in offices/mining farms as well as data centers.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

SONiC switch platform is fragrant.
    It gives you complete control on all aspects of switching including BGP.
    Plenty of 10G and better models to choose from:
    https://github.com/sonic-net/SONiC/wiki/Supported-Devices-and-Platforms

Thanked by 2lentro sgno1
  • Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited June 2022

Brand new? Mikrotik only, they have 4 SFP+ in CCR2116-12G-4S+ which is $465.00
    But you need to buy SFP+ modules separately if you don't already have them.
    But if you're ok with Used equipment I would go for those.

Keep in mind that due to chip shortages it's hard to source a router, firewall or other networking equipment. In our shop we are constantly given 6+ months time for fulfillments.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • Mikrotik is nice until the hardware started spazzing out on me a little bit at a time.

I now just run Ubiquiti hardware

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    Mikrotik is nice until the hardware started spazzing out on me a little bit at a time.

I now just run Ubiquiti hardware

In before, "Ubiquiti is nice until the hardware started spazzing out on me a little bit at a time".

Thanked by 1Erisa