Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could ISP block website/webservices in mass like this ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could ISP block website/webservices in mass like this ?

JustPfffJustPfff Member

Since months specially after I changed my ISP I notice multiple times strange behavior with web service I use (shared host and VPS) , when using on of my VPS proxy I notice it didn't open blocked websites here ( adults ) making it completely useless,
and later on, I notice many Shared Host services I ordered the connection weren't stable at all, specially when longing into cPanel and using FTP, first I thought this is problem with cheap web host I have, but it's happened to all of them, and when I used VPN (_Avira free extension) the cPanel opens normal and fast .
And most frustrating thing I notice lately they start blocking some free VPN extension (still not 100% sure ) but for example Avira VPN stopped working on all websites Screenshot testing YouTube
and YouTube working again after disabling it
For many of you here Network engineers/experts I ask , Could any ISP uses such stupid blocking methods, even if it's blocks other (legal)service with it

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

What isp?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'm not a neteng or an expert and I'm also not sure if I totally understand what you're trying to say/ask, but as far as I know, ISPs usually "block" websites on the DNS level.

But yes, I suppose an ISP can block whatever they want and however they want.

• @JustPfff said:
    Since months specially after I changed my ISP I notice multiple times strange behavior with web service I use (shared host and VPS) , when using on of my VPS proxy I notice it didn't open blocked websites here ( adults ) making it completely useless,
    and later on, I notice many Shared Host services I ordered the connection weren't stable at all, specially when longing into cPanel and using FTP, first I thought this is problem with cheap web host I have, but it's happened to all of them, and when I used VPN (_Avira free extension) the cPanel opens normal and fast .
    And most frustrating thing I notice lately they start blocking some free VPN extension (still not 100% sure ) but for example Avira VPN stopped working on all websites Screenshot testing YouTube
    and YouTube working again after disabling it
    For many of you here Network engineers/experts I ask , Could any ISP uses such stupid blocking methods, even if it's blocks other (legal)service with it

They can do anything. The are a private business like Twitter (which ban free speech).

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Idk

• Looks like it’s DPI on higher levels. If you decide on using a VPN, make sure to include DNS and IPv6 as your ISP can still block your traffic. Your ISP can also block common VPN protocols as well, in this case you might want to use modern proxy techniques like hiding your real traffic in a websocket. Good luck.

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited June 2022

@Kousaka said: in this case you might want to use modern proxy techniques like hiding your real traffic in a websocket. Good luck.

Alright, I just changed my proxy tool [SOCKS5] to use port 21 since I don't need it on my VPS and it's will look less suspicious, so far it's works fine, except some sites blocking it since it's a hosting IP, many websites firewalls have it (for some reason ) on their blacklist .
    Anyway, I think the technique they use if they see high traffic on unusual ports, e.g not ~ 80 443 they will throttle the connection even block it if I exceeded certain period of time.
    Oh, I forget this, if I opened any new website [not on their list], the first time the page will load, but if I refresh the page the ISP website block warning will show to me instead lol, this too far I think they filter contents of websites I visit,
    I don't know if they're interfering my https connection, or their system found new DNS request, and they visit it to analysis it contents if it is not allowed they add it to their block list .

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited June 2022

@JustPfff said:

@Kousaka said: in this case you might want to use modern proxy techniques like hiding your real traffic in a websocket. Good luck.

Alright, I just changed my proxy tool [SOCKS5] to use port 21 since I don't need it on my VPS and it's will look less suspicious, so far it's works fine, except some sites blocking it since it's a hosting IP, many websites firewalls have it (for some reason ) on their blacklist .
    Anyway, I think the technique they use if they see high traffic on unusual ports, e.g not ~ 80 443 they will throttle the connection even block it if I exceeded certain period of time.
    Oh, I forget this, if I opened any new website [not on their list], the first time the page will load, but if I refresh the page the ISP website block warning will show to me instead lol, this too far I think they filter contents of websites I visit,
    I don't know if they're interfering my https connection, or their system found new DNS request, and they visit it to analysis it contents if it is not allowed they add it to their block list .

Use PowerTunnel (https://github.com/krlvm/PowerTunnel) and check if its still happening.
    Surprised no one told that...

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited June 2022

@Otus9051 said: Use PowerTunnel

I'm using 3proxy on my VPS and SwitchyOmega on my browser what different PowerTunnel will make

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@JustPfff said:

This sounds like a private business network, not an ISP...

• @JustPfff said:

@Otus9051 said: Use PowerTunnel

I'm using 3proxy on my VPS and SwitchyOmega on my browser what different PowerTunnel will make

PowerTunnel is actually a DPI blocker that runs on your PC's localhost network, so there won't be any interference from your ISP, I hope. Please try it once.

Thanked by 1JustPfff