Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrahost price hike
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Terrahost price hike

This discussion was created from comments split from: Terrahost upgraded port from 1G to 10G... for free!.
Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• Dear Customer,

As you may be aware, the world is facing an energy crisis as we have never seen before. The main reason for this volatility is the increased global demand resulting from underinvestment, geopolitical tensions and supply constraints.

Until now, we've been able to protect you from these surges in electricity pricing and covered peaks of up to 800% of our average pricing for this time of the year. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any signs of pricing going down soon, and we have concluded that we need to offset some of this cost to continue providing you with our unrivalled service.

While Norway has plenty of green hydroelectric power, we are required by the EU to export electricity to the rest of Europe, increasing our electricity costs.

We do not take this lightly, but the instability of the energy markets is beyond our control and is likely to persist for the foreseeable future. Historically Terrahost has lowered pricing or given more resources for the same price. This is the first time since our beginning in 2006 that we have raised costs for our services.

Our team has debated what model would be the fairest for all our customers. We have concluded that we will increase pricing by 10% for all active services in all regions. The change will be effective as of July 1st 2022.

As always, we will continue to deliver you the utmost exceptional service as we grow together towards a sustainable future.

If you have any questions or concerns, please create a support ticket in ENIGMA, and we will answer you to the best of our abilities.

Sincerely,
    Sten Huseby
    CEO
    Terrahost AS

Thanked by 2Arkas Frameworks
  • Expected, it was just a matter of when it was coming. Now we have a date.

• I can instantly name four providers who increased price since last year: netcup, hetzner, scaleway (not first time tho) and today’s terrahost. Bad time’s coming.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2022

I think any consumer would love seeing a message like that, but informing them how their income salary increases by 10% due to energy costs for all families worldwide.

Sad news to see providers struggling. I love cheap offers, but I do not like price increases (because salaries worldwide did not increase lately). Maybe end is nigh; meanwhile I must decide if I will accept this price increase and other price increases for the future (it's obvious how energy is heading into a blurry state due to politicians).

EDIT: tagging @terrahost - because it's elegant to do so. :smile:

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • JasonMJasonM Member

free port speed increase was the hint the price would go up now.
    there's no free lunch in the world. everything comes for a price afterall.

• @Kousaka said: netcup, hetzner, scaleway (not first time tho) and today’s terrahost

All Euro

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@corbpie said:

@Kousaka said: netcup, hetzner, scaleway (not first time tho) and today’s terrahost

All Euro

EU robbed by US :D

• szarkaszarka Member

With the increasing cost of energy, it's the bitcoin miners I really feel for.

• LeviLevi Member

Energy price increase is lame excuse. Does the provider will decrease price after energy prices go down eventually? Of course not. Why use energy price as an excuse? It is not permanent problem.

Thanked by 3maverickp Alireza Liso
  • lmfao the inflation this year in the US was damn near 10% - the entire world feels when the US economy hurts.

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@SirFoxy said: lmfao the inflation this year in the US was damn near 10% - the entire world feels when the US economy hurts.

When the U.S. sneezes, the world catches a cold.

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • @Arkas said:

@SirFoxy said: lmfao the inflation this year in the US was damn near 10% - the entire world feels when the US economy hurts.

When the U.S. sneezes, the world catches a cold.

yeah, and we entered a 2-3 year recession today.

us government literally still owns 9 trillion in subprime mortgage loans from the last recession bailout.

further proof money is nothing but an illusion.

• eriseris Member

@LTniger said:
    Energy price increase is lame excuse. Does the provider will decrease price after energy prices go down eventually? Of course not. Why use energy price as an excuse? It is not permanent problem.

If the prices go up for about 300% I think it is fair to do so

• LeviLevi Member

@eris said:

@LTniger said:

If the prices go up for about 300% I think it is fair to do so

Why? Who in their right mind will deny money?

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Hey, thanks for tagging. We avoided this for as long as we could, but at the moment we pay 400% more than whats normal at this time of year, and it has been like this for the past 9+ months.

In addition to this hardware prices has gone up quite a bit also. Well, everything costs more these days.

Thanks for your support :)

• LeviLevi Member

@terrahost said: Well, everything costs more these days.

Correctamundo! Anyway, your server still spinning, lil bugger, solid uptime. I will accept 10% increase.

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • _cece_cece Member

What I really dislike is the argument, that the EU force Norway to export energy and therefore the price increase, and the implicit conclusion that only norwegian customers have to pay for europes energy demand.

Thanked by 1pike
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@_cece said:
    What I really dislike is the argument, that the EU force Norway to export energy and therefore the price increase, and the implicit conclusion that only norwegian customers have to pay for europes energy demand.

@_cece said:

Norway is in a bit of a special situation. We're almost alone of having a constant surplus of energy. Our energy is actually very inexpensive to produce, and in reality the Norwegian government could without issue give free electricity to all private residents, and exported only the surplus. Now, we have this EU deal which makes it impossible to differentiate on local and exported prices.

And since there is such a high demand for energy in europe, the prices surge. I know this happens a lot of other places aswell and not only Norway.

Fun fact, the Norwegian power grid is split into 5 zones, and there is limited transfer capacity between some of the zones, so Sweden buys cheap hydro power in the north and sell it back to us in the south, plus to Germany. :)

Thanked by 4bulbasaur ralf Abd MikeA
  • @terrahost Sweden is smart
    Now Norway should re-sell to Norway :D

• ralfralf Member

@terrahost said:
    Now, we have this EU deal which makes it impossible to differentiate on local and exported prices.

I'm one who opposed Brexit and wanted to stay in the EU, but this is a good example of the kinds of things they shouldn't be interfering in.

• everything going up from fuel to school fees for kids ,just school fees rose in oct last year 40 percent for two kids ,now again in aug they want another 35 percent raise ,and no salary increament

• vedranvedran Veteran

@terrahost said:
    Now, we have this EU deal which makes it impossible to differentiate on local and exported prices.

If I understand this correctly, Norway had 3 options:
    1. Stop exporting and keep the prices low.
    2. Export at the same low price and also keep local prices low.
    3. Increase the price and earn a lot of extra money.

So Norway, or power companies, or whoever is in charge of deciding the price picked the best option for themselves and the worst option for you as a consumer. But it's somehow EUs fault?

This is how the electricity is transferred in the nordics. As you can see, Norway export quite a lot. This is from today.

For instance Sweden imports from NO4 and NO3, and exports to NO1 where our datacenter is located. Norway also export a lot to Denmark, Germany and UK.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Looks like Norway is exporting to Russia from NO4, which doesn't make sense as the Russians seem to have more energy than they know what to do with.

@Arkas said:
    Looks like Norway is exporting to Russia from NO4, which doesn't make sense as the Russians seem to have more energy than they know what to do with.

That cable is used only for import as far as i know.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@terrahost said: That cable is used only for import as far as i know.

In that case the arrow is facing the wrong direction. :smile:

• @szarka said:
    With the increasing cost of energy, it's the bitcoin miners I really feel for.

:world's tiniest violin:

• @terrahost said:

@_cece said:

Norway is in a bit of a special situation. We're almost alone of having a constant surplus of energy. Our energy is actually very inexpensive to produce, and in reality the Norwegian government could without issue give free electricity to all private residents, and exported only the surplus. Now, we have this EU deal which makes it impossible to differentiate on local and exported prices.

And since there is such a high demand for energy in europe, the prices surge. I know this happens a lot of other places aswell and not only Norway.

Fun fact, the Norwegian power grid is split into 5 zones, and there is limited transfer capacity between some of the zones, so Sweden buys cheap hydro power in the north and sell it back to us in the south, plus to Germany. :)

Wow, the Swedish are so smart. I just don’t understand why you don’t build extra power carrying infra so you can get the premium price yourselves…

• @LTniger said:

At least Hetzner said they'll re-adjust their prices after energy prices go down.

It's weird that this is not mentioned in their website.

Thanked by 1szarka