Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Logo Feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Poll] Logo Feedback

MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2022 in General

These are still a work in progress, but look completely different.

Which logo do you like better (https://imgur.com/a/vqOHDOS)?
  1. Which logo do you like better?96 votes
    1. Top
      59.38%
    2. Bottom
      40.63%

Comments

• _MS__MS_ Member

Any other option?

• ralfralf Member

Yeah, I looked. And honestly, neither really stand out to me. I suspect you're the same, or you wouldn't have put it to a poll...

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

Neither of these suggest what brand is about.

I wouldn't use wordmark for such generic and long name.
    Such logos are great for short names like VISA, Vogue or catchy names like Coca-Cola.

I would suggest something abstract/pictorial. Something more dynamic that suggest what brand is about. Volkswagen is great example - quite difficult name, but logo is so dynamic and simple that everybody recognize it.

• JabJabJabJab Member

From those? Top one, as it's clear to me that it says BOOT. The lower one I have no idea what is saying and without the one above it will take me a lot of time to figure it out.

• ralfralf Member

I mean, I'd actually quite like a logo that had a boot like element in it, but then you run the risk of being mistaken for footwear.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

I have fully colorized versions of these, that look super sexy, but I purposely grabbed bad quality on shitty backgrounds. These will eventually make their way to motherboards, chassis, power supplies, heat sinks and will look 2 tone.

If you don't like either, no one is forcing a vote, but I appreciate the feedback.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

@ralf said:
    I mean, I'd actually quite like a logo that had a boot like element in it, but then you run the risk of being mistaken for footwear.

Or as hardware store. Or as a boutique computer builder. Or as review site... list goes on

@MrRadic said:
    These will eventually make their way to motherboards, chassis, power supplies, heat sinks and will look 2 tone.

Wordmark never work on PC components. They need very simple branding, because there are too many companies for every segment. Logo needs to be very easy to remember.

Many companies used wordmarks, they were very refined.
    But they still gone to abstract/pictorial simple logos after research. People just didn't remember their logo because they see 50 brands in every segment.

Cooler Master used this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Cooler_Master_Logo.svg/1200px-Cooler_Master_Logo.svg.png
    Now they are using this https://i0.wp.com/shakesbkk.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/cooler-master-visual-identity-e1612412134332.jpg?fit=750,750&ssl=1

Logitech used this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Logitech_logo.svg/2560px-Logitech_logo.svg.png
    They integrated it with simple "G" https://static.cdnlogo.com/logos/l/19/logitech.png

Now check Razer, Steelseries etc... all of them have abstract logos that are easy to remember.

Some time ago you could say that only AMD/Intel will continue to use wordmarks but even that changed. AMD uses "flame" on Ryzen CPU branding https://www.logo.wine/a/logo/Ryzen/Ryzen-AMD-Logo.wine.svg

Intel is alone at this point, but their name is VERY easy to remember and theyre around for so many years that it doesnt affect them

:)

@JabJab said:
    From those? Top one, as it's clear to me that it says BOOT. The lower one I have no idea what is saying and without the one above it will take me a lot of time to figure it out.

Put in a vote please, if you haven't already.

@ralf said:
    Yeah, I looked. And honestly, neither really stand out to me. I suspect you're the same, or you wouldn't have put it to a poll...

We're leaning heavily toward one.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

IMO neither, but if I had to pick one, the second.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@dustinc said:
    IMO neither, but if I had to pick one, the second.

Could you look at your Shared Hosting offer daddy?
    There's some bandwidth doubling to do! :)

Thanks for everyone's votes so far!

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

The top one, absolutely - at least it has some character.

• VoidVoid Member

Hope it’s not for a booter site or something

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

I personally prefer the top, I'm not a fan of the B in the bottom one - if that was different I'd probably prefer the bottom.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited June 2022

I wouldn't have known that the first letter was a b, looking at the bottom one alone..

2/3 of the power symbol, I wouldn't see a b.. just oot hardware..

Humm.. I wonder if that is available to register...

• lanefulanefu Member

Why do you want people to think about turning the power off when they see your logo?

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited June 2022

In 1 the gaps on the left of the o make it harder to identify as an o. The hardware subtitle is also strangely positioned, doesn’t look right

2 is better but it needs more ‘b’ shape and less standby symbol

• mikeimikei Member
    edited June 2022

@ralf said:

Apple can be mistaken for a farm, Windows for a cleaning service)

Bootcamp)) I think more important for the logo that you (and me) quite like it.

• mikeimikei Member
    edited June 2022

Liked the bottom one. Try to make the "b" slightly more than half of it.

Edit: I can see it is more than half. Maybe the whole word thinner, maybe something else, not perfect yet.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@mikei said:

@ralf said:

Perfect examples in proving complete opposite to what you are saying.

Both Apple and Windows don't use their name as branding. Apple uses their apple, Windows uses their... four small windows.
    This is called logomark/pictorial mark.

Apple and Windows focus on small, easy to recognize graphics. They could use wordmarks (logo=text) instead, because their name is very easy to remember, but they still insist on logomarks 99% of time. This 1% is only for brand name recognition.

Now, there's two logos "Boot hardware". None of them are logo marks, both are word marks even through name of brand is way longer and to finish it all up they don't have any recognizable element in them. No, "power off shape" isn't recognizable, its generic as fuck. 9000 logos already have it.

Even Google is pushing their colorful "G" as their logo mark, because pure text most of the time just doesn't work even for such big brands with simple names.

It works for other brands which are not in digital space OR don't face that much constant competition just "swipe away" (restaurants) OR word mark is very easy to remember (SONY/Canon, very distinctive unusual fonts) OR is short (H&M).

MrRadic probably already knows what he will choose, so my opinion won't even matter. I'm just responding to your comment, because you missed the point.

Thanked by 2mikei bulbasaur
  • mikeimikei Member

@AXYZE said:

@mikei said:

@ralf said:

Both Apple and Windows don't use their name as branding. Apple uses their apple, Windows uses their... four small windows.

Apple and Windows focus on small, easy to recognize graphics. They could use wordmarks (logo=text) instead, because their name is very easy to remember, but they still insist on logomarks 99% of time. This 1% is only for brand name recognition.

Now, there's two logos "Boot hardware". None of them are logo marks, both are word marks even through name of brand is way longer and to finish it all up they don't have any recognizable element in them. No, "power off shape" isn't recognizable, its generic as fuck. 9000 logos already have it.

Even Google is pushing their colorful "G" as their logo mark, because pure text most of the time just doesn't work even for such big brands with simple names.

It works for other brands which are not in digital space OR don't face that much constant competition just "swipe away" (restaurants) OR word mark is very easy to remember (SONY/Canon, very distinctive unusual fonts) OR is short (H&M).

MrRadic probably already knows what he will choose, so my opinion won't even matter. I'm just responding to your comment, because you missed the point.

I must agree, wise thoughts, but we are here not at that scale.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@mikei said:

@AXYZE said:

@mikei said:

@ralf said:

Thats why its even more important, because you dont see this brand 100 times a day. :)

• mikeimikei Member

@AXYZE said:

@mikei said:

@AXYZE said:

@mikei said:

@ralf said:

Thats why its even more important, because you dont see this brand 100 times a day. :)

Agree again, but) we are just choosing between the two (you actually said that)

Thanks for the votes and feedback!

• JasonMJasonM Member

@MrRadic said: These will eventually make their way to motherboards, chassis, power supplies, heat sinks and will look 2 tone.

then use the 2nd one (blue). its more trendy, fresh-looking, youthful logo.

• coz the upper use that power button, you'll see that similiarity in thousands of cheapo looks logos,

the bottom one has simple design & color with not too familiar font, and still has good readability,
    once your brand become famous, you can remove that "HARDWARE"

another suggestion: try your luck on fiverr