Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to change to raid0?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible to change to raid0?

Is it possible to successfully change to raid0 without reinstalling and losing everything?

It’s a plex seedbox setup so I’d rather not lose everything on there currently

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

I don't think that's possible

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

Change what? 2x Non-RAID? 2x RAID-1? 4x RAID10?

Info missing, but if you have free space then you can make new partition in software raid0 and more your data there. You move it gradually, shrink older partition, extend raid0 and after some time you're done.

• momkinmomkin Member

Use LVM instead !

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • _cece_cece Member

some infos were missing but in general its not possible...

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@AXYZE said: but if you have free space then you can make new partition in software raid0 and more your data there. You move it gradually, shrink older partition, extend raid0 and after some time you're done.

That's not working for me. It's 2X non RAID. The problem is moving the data to the new partition. All permissions are set, but the data wont move, it fails every time.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Arkas said:

@AXYZE said: but if you have free space then you can make new partition in software raid0 and more your data there. You move it gradually, shrink older partition, extend raid0 and after some time you're done.

That's not working for me. It's 2X non RAID. The problem is moving the data to the new partition. All permissions are set, but the data wont move, it fails every time.

Works fine under Windows. Dunno about Linux, just a pure idea

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@AXYZE said: Works fine under Windows. Dunno about Linux, just a pure idea

Ahhh, that makes sense. I am using Debian 11

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Cloning my friend.

Clonezilla .

Ok, lets explain, make image of your disk , now make whatever raid you like, restore that image on that raid.

• @Arkas said:

What error?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: What error?

Failed to copy

• If your RAID is configured using mdadm. Then it's quite easy.
    Assuming it's raid1, you break the raid1 by destroying it. Leaving one drive blank.
    The issue a command to grow to raid 0. It should move the files and sync what is needed.

Hardware raid, not possible.

Thanked by 1Falzo