Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use VPN server as a way to test VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use VPN server as a way to test VPS

I have a $5 Lightsail VPS, a $4 Hetzner VPS, a $3.5 OVH VPS, two $2 Scaleway stardust. I configured all of them as VPN servers. After about 3 years of using, my conclusions are:

1. LS VPN has the best ping, the least packet loss. It is almost always working for typical internet surfing. For online gaming, it can reach 50-80 pings most of the time, no loss most of the time. Sometimes there is ping spike, and online gaming is not possible.
  2. Hetzner VPN can work for typical internet surfing without any issue. For online gaming, it typically maintains at 150-250 pings, loss of packet sometimes happens. Although very stable, the higher pings mean slower reaction, let the online gaming experience not as good as LS VPN.
  3. Scaleway VPN and OVH VPN sometimes even not work for typical internet surfing. I do not try them much on online gaming. But they are good for P2P downloading, I never receive warning notice from them. I received one warning notice from Hetzner and then I quickly deleted a VPS instance.

In the future, if I get good BF deals, I will use the same approach testing the following providers:
PHP Friends, Netcup, LiteServer,
and HostHatch, VirMach, BuyVM,
and etc.

My experience is not totally agree to the test the php language creator did in 2019. But I think mine conclusion is more solid due to the long time using of each VPN.

https://toys.lerdorf.com/low-cost-vps-testing

Thanked by 4dosai Logano Liso driib

Comments

• TeoMTeoM Member
    edited June 2022

Where are you from ?

I use liteserver and have a extremely good ping and a very high stability.

Tested with wireguard

The only thing is I get 1TB Traffic eatch month that's bad.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @TeoM said:
    Where are you from ?

Tested with wireguard

I am in US and used US Hetzner's VPS (NVME). The Scaleway and OVH VPSes are in Europe.
    It seems that LiteServer is highly regarded by many LETers. I am going to test it with PHP Friends/DataForest and Netcup at the end of the year. I am very interested in LiteServer's storage VPS, Netcup and PHP Friends' VDS.
    I will test cheap offers from HostHedge, BuyVM, and VirMac, NextByte, etc once I get good deals. But these are low priority to me.

• LisoLiso Member

I really enjoyed reading your analysis :) , keep up the good work.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2022

@letlover said:
    $4 Hetzner VPS [...] $2 Scaleway stardust [...] about 3 years of using [...]

Scaleway's Stardust got released in November 2020.

@letlover said:
    I am in US and used US Hetzner's VPS (NVME).

Hetzner Cloud was released on US in November 2021.

I guess you are some kind of early tester and adopter, to get so much time in testing stuff way before they even get released for public use.

#LowEndDetectives

• Peppery9Peppery9 Member
    edited June 2022

It’s not really an apples to apples comparison if you’re comparing latency of US servers to EU ones based on your specific location.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @default said:

@letlover said:
    $4 Hetzner VPS [...] $2 Scaleway stardust [...] about 3 years of using [...]

Scaleway's Stardust got released in November 2020.

@letlover said:
    I am in US and used US Hetzner's VPS (NVME).

Hetzner Cloud was released on US in November 2021.

I guess you are some kind of early tester and adopter, to get so much time in testing stuff way before they even get released for public use.

#LowEndDetectives

As I said, this is more user experience instead of scientific test/benchmarking. I ordered Finland Hetzner and Europe OVH first, then added two Stardusts, then I ordered one Lightsail VPS, then recently I ordered the US Hetzner. The two Hetnzer VPSes are very close in terms of performance using my online gaming approach. The Atlantic Ocean does not affect the results very much. To me, this means that I can host my web servers in Europe's Hetzner's data centers, and US viewers will not be affected in terms of viewing experience.

• @Peppery9 said:
    It’s not really an apples to apples comparison if you’re comparing latency of US servers to EU ones based on your specific location.

I totally understand your point. Hetzner's performance really surprises me. It may have done something magic to keep the performance not lost much transatlantic.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited June 2022

tl;dr Lightsail has amazing IP reputation, great support and the best network in low end market. Turns out paying more does get you better service.

(OP's message to LET, basically)

Thanked by 2letlover szymonp
  • @NoComment said:
    tl;dr Lightsail has amazing IP reputation, great support and the best network in low end market. Turns out paying more does get you better service.

(OP's message to LET, basically)

I did not buy LS support plan, so tech support is not possible. I use accounting support to ask technical questions. Seems sometimes LS staff answer my call. LS support is not as good as Hetzner. I have never contacted OVH and Scaleway yet.

• @TeoM said:
    Where are you from ?

Tested with wireguard

Did you buy LiteServer's BF deal? Its normal NVME VPS and storage VPS has 10 TG/month.

• TeoMTeoM Member

@letlover said:

@TeoM said:
    Where are you from ?

Tested with wireguard

Did you buy LiteServer's BF deal? Its normal NVME VPS and storage VPS has 10 TG/month.

Yes this server is quite old. I think around 4 years. I have 100GB Storage for 12 Dollar per Year.

• Just converted an oneprovider ks-1 level dedi for vpn. Use online gaming, testing the ping stably at 250-270, very reliably. Loss most of the time 0, sometimes 1-2%. The dedi is in europe, very possibly Scaleway. This is better than stardust I experienced.
    BMDS still is the king for resource.

• ErisaErisa Member

@letlover said:
    Just converted an oneprovider ks-1 level dedi for vpn. Use online gaming, testing the ping stably at 250-270, very reliably. Loss most of the time 0, sometimes 1-2%. The dedi is in europe, very possibly Scaleway. This is better than stardust I experienced.
    BMDS still is the king for resource.

Oneprovider in France and Netherlands do indeed use Scaleway (formerly known as online.net). Depending which location you got on both your Oneprovider dedi and your Stardust, they may be in the same location (But may not be in the same datacenter)

Thanked by 1letlover
  • I may retune my hosting strategy, deleting all vps, and moving everything to BMDS.
    The only major bottleneck is that Kimsufi does not have below $10 RAID 1 BMDS. If either Kimsufi or Oneprovider or Scaleway has this, to me, there is no reason for me to chose VPS or VDS. I understand other fellows may still have scenario to use VPS or VDS. For me, it is final.

• Using KS1 VPN for online gaming, the ping is consistantly 260-290, most of time no loss of packet. Both Scaleway/One Provider and Kimsufi's toy dedis are much better than the stardust and OVH cheapeast VPS. These VPSes sometimes have ping spikes to 800-1000, making online gaming lagging unbearable. Very possibly Scaleway and OVH cheaper VPSes have noisy neighbors.

• I think the network quality of these two small dedis are better than my LightSail vpn, in terms of stability. Ping is distance related, just for reference.