Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will these 2 processors operate similarly in terms of performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will these 2 processors operate similarly in terms of performance

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited June 2022 in Help

These 2 processors get very similar CPU benchmark numbers in a laptop:

Intel Celeron N4020 @ 1.10GHz vs Intel Core i3-4010U @ 1.70GHz. N4020 has a lot lower TDP compared to i3. Will they offer similar performance or is i3 MUCH better and worth going for compared to the N4020?

processors

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

The only way to know for sure is testing with your real workload.

Both are crappy hardware as they are very old model.
    Stay away from anything before Skylake.

• @yoursunny said:
    The only way to know for sure is testing with your real workload.

Both are crappy hardware as they are very old model.
    Stay away from anything before Skylake.

It's just for general browsing, word, nothing really hardcore.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2022

@asterisk14 said:
    It's just for general browsing, word, nothing really hardcore.

The best computer for this is Raspberry Pi 400, which costs only $100.
    If you prefer laptop form factor, PineBook Pro, $200.
    Both are stronger than crappy Intel.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

What is your budget for the laptop?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2022

@oplink said:

Was looking at this one

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-e210-laptop-intel-celeron-n4020-processor-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-11-6-inch-hd-blue/p6152469

Was £120 ($150) last week, it's gone up since but will probably be down to that price at some point soon.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@asterisk14 said:

@oplink said:

Was looking at this one

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-e210-laptop-intel-celeron-n4020-processor-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-11-6-inch-hd-blue/p6152469

Was £120 ($150) last week, it's gone up since but will probably be down to that price at some point soon.

Just buy a used chromebook with N3350/N3450. No malware, always fast boot, no battery drain in sleep mode, you can use Android apps, YouTube 4K works fine. Should be less than $100.

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • ralfralf Member

What have they done to that trackpad? :o

• ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

Also, they don't have any stock, but from time to time there are some cheap Dell laptops. A couple of years ago I picked up a new Linux laptop for £125 which was perfect for taking on 6 week holiday somewhere in Asia just to copy files from my camera SD cards and watch the occasional video but that didn't matter if it got lost, stolen or damaged. Sadly, it survived and it's a bit too crap to do anything useful with!

• Will these 2 processors operate similarly in terms of performance

Well yes, as a rule of thumb similar bench-marking results will give similar performance on average

However, on average means that some specific things may be faster or slower (ie floating poing ops) so comparing 2 benchmark average numbers is only a very rough estimate.

(For example for these 2 CPUs, for some reason Celeron N4020 has faster floating point math but I3 finds prime number twice as fast and runs matrix operations almost 3 times faster than celeron)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4010U+@+1.70GHz&id=2012
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N4020+@+1.10GHz&id=3683

It's also very important to check single-threaded performance when comparing results, since many applications do not benefit from multi-threading.

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

that i3 is a bit better for multitasking and some chrome tabs and few word/excel. That Celeron will suffer with heavy HD streaming.

Also, Both are (very) expensive for what they (don't) offer.
    Go used, or wait for some offer or sth on a better computer if you want longetivity.
    eMMC storage sucks too! Go SSD.

If you have the option (financially), I consider these to be false saving, because I have seen some friends spend 100-200 on a (poor) laptop, because they don't have much money, and they end up reselling that useless machine for like 50-80 and buy a real computer in the 300ish range. So It would save you a bit if you can invest some more money in advance, if your budget allows it now ofc! if not, buy now, regret and upgrade later :smile:

In the 100-200 range, I really think, a modern Chromebook (wait for a sale), like lenovo Duet or sth, Or go for some 6th gen + used Laptop. Dell pro models, Hp probook, or some thinkpad, all of them are heavy duty and last long. I use a Dell Precision M3800, it's 8 years old, works like a charm. 100-200 chrome tabs, music in background, vscode, etc...
    Maybe check for Dell E7470 i5-6300U, some old thinkpad TXXX

or
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175303855763

If saving is your top priority, then if you're fine with linux, go for cheap 50-100 used Thinkpads, run it with linux, it will last 100 years.

@TerokNor , dude chill, I don't know why u felt the need to talk matrices and fps, but he said he's your average user, he wants it for some chrome and shit, he is not solving non-convex optimization problems, LCU, and doing Hamiltonian simulations!

• @afn said: @TerokNor , dude chill, I don't know why u felt the need to talk matrices and fps, but he said he's your average user, he wants it for some chrome and shit, he is not solving non-convex optimization problems, LCU, and doing Hamiltonian simulations!

Sure. The question was "since these 2 CPUs have almost identical benchmark, do they behave the same?" I thought it would be useful to show that it usually gets more complicated than that. Didn't meant to be the smart-ass here.

Thanked by 1afn
  • afnafn Member

@TerokNor said: . Didn't meant to be the smart-ass here.

Nope, not complaining, no worries ;) I just really didn't understand why did you need to mention them? like I didn't understand how is that relevant, that's why I asked if such things are relevant even to normal users

• @afn said: I just really didn't understand why did you need to mention them? like I didn't understand how is that relevant, that's why I asked if such things are relevant even to normal users

It's not about the math per se.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in general prime numbers is an indicator of raw instruction execution speed (loops, arrays, comparisons, etc), and matrices manipulation, which is usually done through extended instruction sets, generally is an indicator for multimedia capabilities (i.e. video encoding) which are heavily used there.