Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See what's happening on your VPS's node! Launch your own VPS from your shell account!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

See what's happening on your VPS's node! Launch your own VPS from your shell account!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited June 2022 in Offers

Benefits

With MetalVPS you can:

• see how many VPSes there are on your Node, how many other VPSes besides yours are running, and how your Node is performing,

• verify, understand, and modify the entire software stack which runs your VPS,

• conveniently run a lot of pre-installed software directly on the Node. For example, there are several graphical desktop systems including KDE and XFCE. Also, command line terminal hackers will find the OpenBSD ksh shell in addition to bash. For the curious, there's Chaitin's Lisp interpreter, MIT's Xv6 Operating System, TCL, and tons more. Plan 9 from Bell Labs is there via plan9port. Docker is installed. There is a 100 GB primary partition for debootstrap, LinuxFromScratch, etc. We would love for you to add to the pile!

You also can:

• study up on installing dedicated servers by accessing the HP iLO interface.

And, by far the best, <3 you can:

• enjoy talking with and learning from your MetalVPS neighbors!

Disadvantages

• Our wonderful piece of shite antique server, Darkstar, performs about half as fast single threaded as the four core VPS you can get for free from Oracle Cloud. Multithreaded, Darkstar's sixteen cores outperform the free VPS.

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. It's all command line until you install a GUI or activate whatever pre-installed GUI you want. MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base. But many messages fly around, including PMs here on LET, email, and Signal App.

• MetalVPS is ephemeral. It might blow up! We might reinstall the Node. Frequent reboots are required for updates. Long running services are discouraged.

• No warranty. No service level agreement. Not for business use. For sure you need your own backups because MetalVPS doesn't do them for you.

Who

With a lot of help from the MetalVPS neighbors, MetalVPS is a <3 project of @Not_Oles a/k/a Tom Miller a/k/a the clueless™ guy.

As of this writing, there are six MetalVPS neighbors of whom four have sudo privileges.

Most of the neighbors don't log in very often. @Not_Oles visits multiple times per day.

Where

Darkstar is happily colocated with @Ian_Dot_Tech of Level One Servers in Dallas, Texas USA.

Why

Why not? It's fun to play with and learn about servers, operating systems, and the internet. :)

Pricing

MetalVPS costs $20.22 per month. Free or lower cost accounts sometimes are possible. No payment is due until your account is set up and you are 100% satisfied. Payments available via Paypal and Stripe.

How it works

MetalVPS is White Hat!

Today, Darkstar is running the full "everything" version of Slackware64-current. Slackware64-current requires reboots at least every week or ten days for kernel updates.

Darkstar VPSes can be made with Qemu KVM compiled directly out of git. LXC also is available.

Darkstar accounts can be delivered with a Debian sid VPS already set up and running. Delivery might take awhile!

Darkstar node specs

• Server: HP BL460c G6

• CPU: 2 x Xeon L5630 4-Core = 8 cores = 16 threads

• RAM: 48 GB DDR3 ECC

• Hard Drive: 2 x 400GB SAS SSD, Hardware RAID 1

• IP Addresses: IPv4/29, IPv6/64

• Connection: 1 GBit/s port

• Bandwidth: 10 TB

• Datacenter: Colocated with Level One Servers inside Carrier-1, Dallas, Texas, USA 🇺🇸

More information

Please check MetalVPS.com or comment here if you need additional information!

Thanks very much! <3

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Do any MetalVPS neighbors want to try Hetzner's Installimage dedicated server install program or do anything else on a Hetzner server? MetalVPS has available:

• Intel Xeon E3-1275v5
    • 2x SSD M.2 NVMe 512 GB
    • 4x RAM 16384 MB DDR4 ECC
    • NIC 1 Gbit Intel I219-LM
    • Rescue system (English)
    • 1 x Primary IPv4
    • 1 x IPv6/64

Hello!

A Hetzner AX41-NVMe has been ordered in Helsinki. Do any MetalVPS neighbors want to try it?

Friendly greetings from Sonora! ☀️

• ArkasArkas Moderator

That looks very interesting!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

An account on a dedicated server does not equate to a dedicated server.
    Thus, this offer exceeds $10/month price ceiling for VPS.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@yoursunny said:

Normally rules don’t apply here.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

‘Jefe de Queso’ is ‘Head of Cheese’?

Thank you, gentlemen, for your comments! Best wishes!

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

I'm a little confused (but maybe it is just time for sleep... What is this? Why should I order this product?

• All providers here are equal but some are more equal than others

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2022

@yoursunny said:

At $20.22 per month, you might as well get your own dedicated server.

I did a quick search (the last two pages) and found one ($28/month) with:

• 6c/12t (Xeon L5640)
    • 16 GB DDR3 ECC
    • 240 GB SSD
    • 20 TB BW @ 1 Gbps
    • /25 IPv4 (4 useable)

(bonus: you get to have the whole server to yourself)

lol

Thanked by 1commercial
  • drizbodrizbo Member

Well yeah but DOWNSIDE of having own server is that you dont have 10 other people with root access on your machine making sure all your apps run uninterrupted.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

@kevinds said:
    I'm a little confused (but maybe it is just time for sleep... What is this? Why should I order this product?

I think it's more of a virtual hack lab membership than anything else. It's not a VPS or a dedicated server, and it's not as isolated as a shell account.

edited June 2022

@jackb said:

@kevinds said:

I think it's more of a virtual hack lab membership than anything else.

Hello @jackb! Thanks for your comment!

It is a virtual while hat hack lab! 😸

It's not a VPS or a dedicated server,

But it also is a VPS or a container or maybe more than one of each. Additionally, right now, it's three dedicated servers, not just one.

and it's not as isolated as a shell account.

If you ask politely for root. 🙂

The basic purpose is for me to learn from awesome MetalVPS neighbors who want to pay for the privilege of teaching the clueless™ guy. Also to be available to beginners.

So far, it's been working great! At the moment, everything is very quiet. But that's good too!

If you're a beyond awesome white hat hacker, please sign up! Or if you're a beginner or somewhere in between. 🆗

Best wishes!

Tom

• adlyadly Veteran

So, @yoursunny points out this offer is against the rules but it remains because…? 🤷‍♂️

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@adly said:
    So, @yoursunny points out this offer is against the rules but it remains because…? 🤷‍♂️

Well it isn't isn't a dedicated server, no Provider tag, but 'moderator' may override that.

Not sure if it counts as a VPS (no isolation), maybe "shared hosting" where everybody has root, so against the rules for being more than $10/month.. Just a guess, if I am following the logic.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited June 2022

@kevinds said: Well it isn't isn't a dedicated server, no Provider tag, but 'moderator' may override that.

But @Not_Oles does have a (Patron) Provider tag

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • @Not_Oles said:
    The basic purpose is for me to learn from awesome MetalVPS neighbors who want to pay for the privilege of teaching the clueless™ guy. Also to be available to beginners.

You're on to something. I'll take an awesome neighbour to pay me for the privilege of cooking a steak for me.

I think this is a reverse catfish and @Not_Oles is actually a super hot 24 year old European chick with 36DD's for any of this to make sense.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • RecDRecD Member
    edited June 2022

@adly said:

Because @Not_Oles once said if you can't pay the requested fee, you can get if free.
    (ref. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3407736/#Comment_3407736 )

and

@Not_Oles said: Free accounts sometimes are available for students

@Not_Oles said: Free or lower cost accounts sometimes are possible

Edit: I wonder is there any user REALLY paid the monthly $20.22?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • This sounds interesting just from how locked down the system has to be - what sort of eBPF hooks are in place to prevent kernel modifications that require AC cycling? Or overwriting the boot page of the system firmware - I don't think you can easily fix from the BMC ?

Yeah, AC cycling kernel modifications are tough to handle! It's not yet .well-known, but AC cycling kernel modifications now can be controlled by the "Lights Out" portion of the server's iLO. We're developing our new SuperRoot system. When the lights are completely extinguished, SuperRoot goes fishing using eBPF hooks. SuperRoot operates exclusively from the BMC, but under the exclusive control of eBee. SuperRoot catches and caches and then autoreverses both problematic kernel modifications and any evil firmware modifications injected by regular root. 😸

Thanked by 1dirtminer

Something fun happened! :)

Darkstar's connection to the Rackspace mirror is way faster than to all the other mirrors. So I like to use the Rackspace mirror when I can, which is not often, because the Rackspace mirror usually lags behind. So, before updating, I have to check the state of the mirrors. 

Last night, I mixed up two browser tabs, and thought the Rackspace mirror was up to date when it in fact was behind. So I inadvertently reverted Darkstar by using Rackspace's old ChangeLog.txt. 

The remarkable thing was that Slackware handled the reversion flawlessly. And then handled flawlessly a combined two step update (from behind, back to where it used to be, then ahead to current -- all in one step).

As of now, reboot went okay. Darkstar is running 5.18.9 and back in step with Slackware64-current. :)

Best from Sonora! <3

@RecD said: Edit: I wonder is there any user REALLY paid the monthly $20.22?

Yes.