Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened with AlienVPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happened with AlienVPS?

HowhitHowhit Member

Some month ago I needed to host some projects so i searched for a cheap vps and found an ad on LowEndBox about AlienVPS. They did some shady stuff but the service was working fine so I didn't bother much. But today the VPS I have went offline, I can't access their website/user panel and I can't contact them in any way.

I'm fucked?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

Their NS aren't responding, so pulling NS from the TLD:

root@gw:~# dig NS alienvps.net @g.gtld-servers.net

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> NS alienvps.net @g.gtld-servers.net
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33005
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;alienvps.net. IN NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    alienvps.net. 172800 IN NS ns1.alienvps.net.
    alienvps.net. 172800 IN NS ns2.alienvps.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.alienvps.net. 172800 IN A 104.149.156.123
    ns2.alienvps.net. 172800 IN A 104.149.156.123

Both ns1 and ns2 are on 104.149.156.123 so no redundancy, easy outage. Looks like the A record for the site is on the same IP too, even better. Now look at the shady ass looking websites hosted on the same IP: https://bgp.he.net/ip/104.149.156.123#_dns

IP hasn't fallen off routing table, can still head toward it over GTT right now from my SSH gateway box (OVH). But it's part of Psychz active ranges so no reason for it's announcement to have been specific to AlienVPS anyway.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

If it’s the same AlienVPS I remember, they were fucking shit,.if that’s the case, youre fucked, brother.

• They’re alien to providing good hosting services.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
  • VoidVoid Member

@Howhit said:
    Some month ago I needed to host some projects so i searched for a cheap vps and found an ad on LowEndBox about AlienVPS. They did some shady stuff but the service was working fine so I didn't bother much. But today the VPS I have went offline, I can't access their website/user panel and I can't contact them in any way.

I'm fucked?

Wow, what gave it away? All he did was pretend to be some old host from the past with same name, use pirated whmcs & cpanel, have fake company details, defend the actions and do a rage quit when called out to start his own forum.

• aliens left earth

• HowhitHowhit Member

@jmaxwell said:

@Howhit said:

I'm fucked?

Wow, what gave it away? All he did was pretend to be some old host from the past with same name, use pirated whmcs & cpanel, have fake company details, defend the actions and do a rage quit when called out to start his own forum.

I didnt know about that until today.
    What I found shady is that they reduced the specifications of my vps manually. Something wasnt woking propertly so I tried multiple things until I found it.

• Anal probing began.