Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GZIP compression application or reverse proxy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GZIP compression application or reverse proxy

I have a VPS with a lot of PHP + NGINX applications.
These applications are behind an NGINX reverse proxy.
I am a little bit uncertain. What is the best practice?
GZIP with the reverse proxy or GZIP with the "application" nginx?

Comments

• Not a real expert on this topic but I'd do gzip on the reverse proxy.

• Why not gzip on faster server?

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2022

In most cases, if you want to gzip, you do it as close to the data source as possible then distribute. It saves the most CPU time and bandwidth. You want to make sure it's worth gziping though because it is a trade off between CPU time, bandwidth, and storage. It makes more sense for static content that's distributed many times, not so much for dynamic content.

• lanefulanefu Member

Typically gzip compression rules are pretty granular to be effective, usually targeting JavaScript, css and other static text payloads

Frankly I'd first prioritize having http 2.0 enabled. That's a great way to improve response time in browser when there's lots of parallel requests

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Every content is different, just enable to compression and check where you get best. Run benchmarks and you should have clear picture, its useless to play guess game.

Thanked by 1AXYZE