Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I there real "green" vps hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I there real "green" vps hosting?

Those days many data centers claim being "green" (green energy) or especially eco-friendly in any way, but most of the time this is bulls**t. In most cases that means having a power provider with some kind of certificate/carbon trading.

So what do you think? I personally think, that locations like iceland make perfect sense concerning the usage of renewable energy sources. Do you even know any vps provider using a real green data center powered by wind mills/solar energy/water?

I know this topic is quite controversial, but please don't make this thread a mess guys.

Comments

• HostGator

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hetzner

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited October 2013

@Infinity580 said:
    Hetzner

wow, didn't know that. Although I dislike hetzner for being unprofessional (I suppose it was only the fault of one individual though) in the past, this is an interesting thing to know. Thank you.

• @awson said:
    HostGator

These are carbon offsets purchased.

Every datacenter is going to be as green as possible, but if you want your uptime there is going to be big diesel engines and a connection to a stable grid.

• @HC_Ro said:
    Every datacenter is going to be as green as possible, but if you want your uptime there is going to be big diesel engines and a connection to a stable grid.

Diesel engines for uptime are out of question of course.

• GreenQloud.

• Iceland uses a lot of renewable energy. So search for a DC in Iceland.

• Do you even know any vps provider using a real green data center powered by wind mills/solar energy/water?

OVH is developing their own wind farm near Valenciennes to power their DCs in France with the goal of producing all of their own energy by 2020
    http://foorumi.ovh-hosting.fi/showthread.php?t=406

• I know that EDIS's datacenter in Graz is powered with 100% energy from local hydro plants. So not only green, efficient as well, as the energy comes from local sources.