Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Android app to reduce image size to a target megabytes size
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Android app to reduce image size to a target megabytes size

Hi all,

I've been on the playstore downloading various apps but without success. The apps I've downloaded resize in pixels, resolutions etc.

What I am look for is an app (preferably free) that will reduce an image to a certain target file size in megabytes (need <1.5MB). If anyone knows of a reliable one that will do this, please let me know.

Thanks

Thanked by 1Chuck

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Can’t you just use this?

https://imagecompressor.com/

• photopea.com
    choose lower jpeg compression

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2022

@DP said:
    Can’t you just use this?

Hi, it has to be an app that works on a mobile (cell) phone so that I can resize a pic on the device right after I take it.

I could use a website on the internet but don't want to use up my data allowance and it's also a bit of a hassle doing it that way.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@asterisk14 said:

@DP said:
    Can’t you just use this?

Hi, it has to be an app that works on a mobile (cell) phone so that I can resize a pic on the device right after I take it.

I could use a website on the internet but don't want to use up my data allowance and it's also a bit of a hassle doing it that way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer&hl=en_SG&gl=US

How about this?

I don't know where's my Android phone to try it out.

Thanked by 1asterisk14
  • @asterisk14 said:

@DP said:
    Can’t you just use this?

It's 25 quid a month for unlimited data tho? Wouldn't that be the easiest option?

• @DP said:

@asterisk14 said:

@DP said:
    Can’t you just use this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer&hl=en_SG&gl=US

How about this?

I don't know where's my Android phone to try it out.

Thanks that helped a lot.

@serv_ee said:

@asterisk14 said:

@DP said:
    Can’t you just use this?

It's 25 quid a month for unlimited data tho? Wouldn't that be the easiest option?

No, that just means urinating money away. It's austerity, rising inflation and stagnant wages, it's time to save money.

• LET needs a LMGTFY category.

• @TimboJones said:
    LET needs a LMGTFY category.

That's called the mod bin

• @TimboJones said:

I was asking for recommendations, you know like people come on here and ask which cloud storage they should use all the time. I had actually tried a few apps and was looking for a specific feature.

• @asterisk14 said:

@TimboJones said:

I was asking for recommendations, you know like people come on here and ask which cloud storage they should use all the time. I had actually tried a few apps and was looking for a specific feature.

That's redundant with what I just said.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited June 2022

They're a a pretty close solution, you can install imagemagick on Termux Android app:
    pkg install imagemagick

Then on Termux terminal:
    convert -resize 20% source.jpg dest.jpg

That means resulting image dimensions (not file size) will be 20% of the source, but anyway the file size will decrease quite similarly.

I don't know of any tool that allows setting file size directly but in case one (or more) exists for Linux you can search if it's also available for Termux. Many packages are available.

Don't forget to grant Termux access to storage using this command:
    termux-setup-storage
    and also
    pkg upgrade
    before anything.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@farsighter said: That means resulting image dimensions (not file size) will be 20% of the source, but anyway the file size will decrease quite similarly.

That is nothing like the thing the OP asked for.
    I wish I had a good answer, atm I am using Irfanview on RDP and through GDrive because it does a damn good job. All android alternatives seem to be lacking at the quality and options part. I already use the RDP for many other reasons, but even like this is it cumbersome and takes a minute or two.

• @Maounique said:

@farsighter said: That means resulting image dimensions (not file size) will be 20% of the source, but anyway the file size will decrease quite similarly.

That is nothing like the thing the OP asked for.
    I wish I had a good answer, atm I am using Irfanview on RDP and through GDrive because it does a damn good job. All android alternatives seem to be lacking at the quality and options part. I already use the RDP for many other reasons, but even like this is it cumbersome and takes a minute or two.

It's OK Moan-ique, @DP gave me a link to an android program that does the job. Please save your energy for the the other thread (you know the one I'm talking about), I'm looking forward to reading another one of your essay replies :-)

• barkbark Member

@asterisk14 said:
    Hi all,

I've been on the playstore downloading various apps but without success. The apps I've downloaded resize in pixels, resolutions etc.

What I am look for is an app (preferably free) that will reduce an image to a certain target file size in megabytes (need <1.5MB). If anyone knows of a reliable one that will do this, please let me know.

Thanks

Google Play search for, 'QReduce Lite | Compress image size in kb & mb'.

Results come out a few kb under your setting's required file size. Fast. Reliable. Clean. We use it a lot for serious stuff, (visa applications & photos, hi-rez scanned docs, etc). Good tool and keeps getting better, (join the beta).

Close to what you're looking for?

Thanked by 1asterisk14
  • @bark said:

@asterisk14 said:
    Hi all,

Thanks

Google Play search for, 'QReduce Lite | Compress image size in kb & mb'.

Results come out a few kb under your setting's required file size. Fast. Reliable. Clean. We use it a lot for serious stuff, (visa applications & photos, hi-rez scanned docs, etc). Good tool and keeps getting better, (join the beta).

Close to what you're looking for?

Just checked it out. That's a great app, no ads and just does what it's meant to. Excellent. Thanks