Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BunnyCDN partnering with Backblaze B2 (Free egress from B2)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BunnyCDN partnering with Backblaze B2 (Free egress from B2)

https://bunny.net/blog/bunny-net-partners-with-backblaze-for-free/

Would be nice to pair this with BunnyCDN's S3 signing feature :)

Thanked by 2Logano JasonM

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

I wonder how much this costs them and if their prices are going to go up eventually 👀

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Daniel15 said:
    I wonder how much this costs them and if their prices are going to go up eventually 👀

I don’t think BB is charging much for it, considering lots of providers are being added up on the BW alliance. Maybe just the interconnect fee?

Do wish they don’t jack up prices, but I don’t believe they will considering how competitive the market is :)

• edited May 2022

Cloudflare R2: $0.015 per GB storage, free egress

B2: $0.005/GB storage + $0.01/GB egress.

B2 + Bunny.net: $0.005/GB storage + $0.01/GB egress (North America)

B2 + Bunny.net Volume : $0.005/GB storage + $0.005/GB egress.

Not sure if designed totally to be an alternative to Cloudflare's R2 but that's what came to mind. Low cost storage with B2 plus using Bunny's volume network for egress seems pretty good. Then again could just use B2 + Cloudflare free egress.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Cloudflare R2: $0.015 per GB storage, free egress

B2: $0.005/GB storage + $0.01/GB egress.

B2 + Bunny.net: $0.005/GB storage + $0.01/GB egress (North America)

B2 + Bunny.net Volume : $0.005/GB storage + $0.005/GB egress.

Not sure if designed totally to be an alternative to Cloudflare's R2 but that's what came to mind. Low cost storage with B2 plus using Bunny's volume network for egress seems pretty good. Then again could just use B2 + Cloudflare free egress.

Technically, using cloudflare for the sole purpose for delivering non-html files are against their ToS.
    Also, you need to use CF’s DNS, and in some regions (like mine), CF requires enterprise plans to route to the correct PoP.
    IMO this is targeted more to businesses doing TBs on bw with S3, where breaking ToS and potentially being blocked is not an option.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@sanvit said: Technically, using cloudflare for the sole purpose for delivering non-html files are against their ToS.

They updated their TOS, Cloudflare R2, Workers KV/DO are all excluded from ToS provisions https://www.cloudflare.com/terms/

Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service

https://www.cloudflare.com/supplemental-terms/

The Cloudflare Developer Platform consists of the following Services: (i) Cloudflare Workers, a Service that permits developers to deploy and run encapsulated versions of their proprietary software source code (each a “Workers Script”) on Cloudflare’s edge servers; (ii) Cloudflare Pages, a JAMstack platform for frontend developers to collaborate and deploy websites; and (iii) Workers KV, Durable Objects, and R2, storage offerings used to serve HTML and non-HTML content.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@eva2000 said:

@sanvit said: Technically, using cloudflare for the sole purpose for delivering non-html files are against their ToS.

They updated their TOS, Cloudflare R2, Workers KV/DO are all excluded from ToS provisions https://www.cloudflare.com/terms/

Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service

https://www.cloudflare.com/supplemental-terms/

The Cloudflare Developer Platform consists of the following Services: (i) Cloudflare Workers, a Service that permits developers to deploy and run encapsulated versions of their proprietary software source code (each a “Workers Script”) on Cloudflare’s edge servers; (ii) Cloudflare Pages, a JAMstack platform for frontend developers to collaborate and deploy websites; and (iii) Workers KV, Durable Objects, and R2, storage offerings used to serve HTML and non-HTML content.

Allowing R2, DO, and KV makes total sense (obviously), however that still doesn't allow using B2 as a non-HTML source

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@sanvit said: Allowing R2, DO, and KV makes total sense (obviously), however that still doesn't allow using B2 as a non-HTML source

Definitely gray area as they do allow CF Workers to proxy R2 so is there a restriction for CF Workers to proxy B2? I'll ask them :)

Thanked by 3AXYZE JasonM Erisa
  • JasonMJasonM Member

and R2 needs a Worker to be installed to access files.
    Well, for a busy site, the Workers (free-tier) daily-limit would exhaust quickly if they host images on R2. But if hosted with B2, files can be accessed directly and cached on Cloudflare. So this could be a bit cheaper.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2022

@JasonM said: and R2 needs a Worker to be installed to access files.

Well, for a busy site, the Workers (free-tier) daily-limit would exhaust quickly if they host images on R2. But if hosted with B2, files can be accessed directly and cached on Cloudflare. So this could be a bit cheaper.

You can mount R2 S3 as a fuse based filesystem to be served via a regular web server too (behind Cloudflare CDN cache). I tested CF R2 S3 mounted via JuiceFS and did a write up at https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod-juicefs :)

But CF R2 public access feature is eventually coming so you don't need a CF Worker to access it in future.

This is on old OVH Gaming dedicated Intel I7 4790K 2x 240GB Samsung SSD raid 1 server with CF R2 mounted via JuiceFS

More benchmarks at https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod-juicefs#juicefs-benchmarks including cached fio test

juicefs bench -p 4 /home/juicefs_mount/                        
      Write big blocks count: 4096 / 4096 [======================================================]  done      
       Read big blocks count: 4096 / 4096 [======================================================]  done      
    Write small blocks count: 400 / 400 [========================================================]  done      
     Read small blocks count: 400 / 400 [========================================================]  done      
      Stat small files count: 400 / 400 [========================================================]  done      
    Benchmark finished!
    BlockSize: 1 MiB, BigFileSize: 1024 MiB, SmallFileSize: 128 KiB, SmallFileCount: 100, NumThreads: 4
    Time used: 29.5 s, CPU: 51.7%, Memory: 1317.1 MiB
    +------------------+------------------+---------------+
    |       ITEM       |       VALUE      |      COST     |
    |   Write big file |     253.86 MiB/s |  16.13 s/file |
    |    Read big file |     418.69 MiB/s |   9.78 s/file |
    | Write small file |    312.3 files/s | 12.81 ms/file |
    |  Read small file |   5727.4 files/s |  0.70 ms/file |
    |        Stat file |  29605.6 files/s |  0.14 ms/file |
    |   FUSE operation | 71271 operations |    1.95 ms/op |
    |      Update meta |  1289 operations |   74.78 ms/op |
    |       Put object |   204 operations | 1214.46 ms/op |
    |       Get object |   143 operations | 1032.30 ms/op |
    |    Delete object |     0 operations |    0.00 ms/op |
    | Write into cache |  1567 operations | 1808.73 ms/op |
    |  Read from cache |  1286 operations |   62.66 ms/op |

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • ErisaErisa Member

If the bandwidth is low enough then it's fine. Cloudflare won't terminate or block your account for serving non-html files (Except for the case of videos where they'll start blocking them but still won't term). The reaction they have instead is to send you an email politely asking you to going forward pay them appropriately for the non-html bandwidth you're consuming. Bunny is paid from the beginning so it's just two different ways of doing things, Cloudflare has a lax free tier whereas Bunny does not.

The two solutions definitely are suited for different use-cases though, that is undeniable.

@CyberneticTitan said: Not sure if designed totally to be an alternative to Cloudflare's R2 but that's what came to mind. Low cost storage with B2 plus using Bunny's volume network for egress seems pretty good. Then again could just use B2 + Cloudflare free egress.

Bunny has always been a Cloudflare competitor in my eyes, so it wouldn't surprise me. And honestly, good, we needed more competition in this space. I wish them the best of luck.

@eva2000 said: Definitely gray area as they do allow CF Workers to proxy R2 so is there a restriction for CF Workers to proxy B2?

Mmm technically it is still restricted but realistically as long as you're paying for the Workers requests I doubt they'll do anything until you get into the high TBs of traffic or have something disproportionate like each request being multi-GB.

@JasonM said: and R2 needs a Worker to be installed to access files.

As others have mentioned the ability to access public buckets without a Worker is a planned feature. Currently still early in the public beta, so that isn't there yet.

• cadddrcadddr Member

Their ceo and cto have stated multiple times in HN that they do allow all legal contents if workers was used to deliver them. Last time i saw that was more than 6months ago.

I doubt they will ever update their TOS to explicitly say this since they have a generous free tier.