Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install programs on one vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install programs on one vps

fawaifawai Member

Hello. Is it possible to have vpn, file manager, and blogs running on the same vps? If so, is there some setup I might have to do or just install everything as usual? Thank you.

Comments

• Yes it's possible, you can stuff as much as you want on a VPS as long as the resources can handle it.

I know this setup script for OpenVPN: https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install

There are probably also scripts around for setting up a blog (e.g. blog using WordPress).

Thanked by 2fawai devp
  • ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

@fawai said:
    Hello. Is it possible to have vpn, file manager, and blogs running on the same vps? If so, is there some setup I might have to do or just install everything as usual? Thank you.

The only problem with this, especially if you don't know what you're doing, is if you install some crappy software that isn't secure or just misconfigured, then all your data for everything else has a good chance of being compromised too.

Of course, it depends how important / secret your data is. If you have a good regular backup strategy and it wouldn't matter if all your sites are offline for a few days if you needed to re-install, then go for it.

• Run each app in its own container => Docker, LXD, Podman.

That way if some app breaks, you can always deploy a new one without breaking the entire system. Also managing updates are easier.

Thanked by 2TimRoo Chuck
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited May 2022

Cloudron.io would be a good option.

• TejyTejy Member

@caracal said:
    Cloudron.io would be a good option.

If you're not willing to pay 30$ for more than 2 apps, you can easily use:
    -Portainer (CE Edition): https://www.portainer.io/
    -Caprover: https://caprover.com/

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • devpdevp Member

@let_rocks said: Yes it's possible, you can stuff as much as you want on a VPS as long as the resources can handle it.

@ralf said: The only problem with this, especially if you don't know what you're doing, is if you install some crappy software that isn't secure or just misconfigured, then all your data for everything else has a good chance of being compromised too.

Of course, it depends how important / secret your data is. If you have a good regular backup strategy and it wouldn't matter if all your sites are offline for a few days if you needed to re-install, then go for it.

Agreed.

@rattlecattle said: Run each app in its own container => Docker, LXD, Podman.

Thats a pro production stuff.

@fawai
    Better to list exact software packages you are willing to install so members can share their experiences and guide you further.

• sotssots Member
    edited May 2022

I have everything installed such as Mastodon, Gitea, Drone CI, NGINX, PHP, MySQL, Postgres... on one vps.

• sotssots Member

You can use docker to reduce complexity, but it's said that using systemd to manage the services can give you better performance.

• eriseris Member

@fawai said:

Do you have a Windows PC for email?
    One for Office?
    One for Internet?

So the answer is yet ..

• fawaifawai Member

@devp said:
    Better to list exact software packages you are willing to install so members can share their experiences and guide you further.

I try to have wireguard, filerun, and wordpress. Maybe some static sites.

Is it better using docker or something similar than not? Should I use different domain or not?

• sotssots Member

@fawai said:

@devp said:

Is it better using docker or something similar than not? Should I use different domain or not?

You should have different (sub)domains for different sites, but you can use nginx to serve all your web pages ranging from static sites to php sites.
    I don't think you should use docker to deploy such services. Just install it from system package manager (e.g. apt or pacman or yum) and manage them with systemd.

Thanked by 1devp
  • devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

@fawai said: Is it better using docker or something similar than not?

You can use vps as they are provided by provider.

@fawai said: Is it better using docker or something similar than not? Should I use different domain or not?

For wireguard default port is 51820.
    This means wireguard can run while a webserver is running on port 80 (default port for web server).

Other web applications that are listed can be run by using subdomain for each application and by configuring routed path on the same domain. For these configure your webserver accordingly.

Applications you listed can be installed by system package manager for your linux distribution.
    These applications are available as downloadable packages as well and can be installed manually.

Thanked by 1fawai
  • KousakaKousaka Member

@fawai said:

@devp said:

For wireguard: bare IP is fine
    For your websites: use different domains unless you are aware of how to configure url path.

Thanked by 1fawai
  • fawaifawai Member

How about running mail server? Some say it's a bother. Is it true?

• sotssots Member

@fawai said:

Yes, some providers does NOT allow 25 port which is used by SMTP. You have to submit tickets to ask them to allow 25 port. Also, some provider does NOT give you access to set rDNS, which means your mail will be blocked or go to rubbish bin because your IP does not have a PTR record and your mail is treated as unauthorized.
    Even if the provider allows, there are still more troubles. e.g. I bought a vps from racknerd and I found its IP is on some blacklists. I have to go to these sites and ask for delisting. It's really a bother.

Thanked by 1fawai
  • ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

@fawai said:

Yes. If you just want to send mail, there's a lot to set up to get DKIM working etc (or else most of the bigger email providers will reject all your mail), and you'll probably spend a long time fiddling with it to get it working. Even then, remote hosts might still reject your mail because of your IP range and previous use.

If you want to receive email, setting up something like dovecot is relatively straightforward, but you'll probably want to add spamassassin into the mix (unless you really like spam), so you'll have quite a lot of extra configuration to do in exim before it works, and you'll probably find every tutorial on the internet is wrong in some way that's different to all the others.

Of course, if you enjoy learning, it's worth doing.

Thanked by 1fawai