Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

internet broadcasting cable television company use Cloudflare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

internet broadcasting cable television company use Cloudflare?

ChuckChuck Member

Currently I have internet home fiber service with this company. It's a fifth largest internet broadcasting and cable television company in usa.

Today I just find out that they put their website on Cloudflare.
They are having Cloudflare Error 502.

Why would they need to use Cloudflare if they have all the servers in the usa?

Comments

• WolfWolf Member

I'm confused. What do you think CloudFlare does?

Cheers

Thanked by 2afn bdl
  • Perhaps your ISP is a shadow company for clownflare.

• sanvitsanvit Member

Anyways,

@Chuck said: Why would they need to use Cloudflare if they have all the servers in the usa?

Why not? They might need their global connectivity, or their DDoS protection, or their WAF, or millions of other service that Cloudflare provides.

• pikepike Veteran

@sanvit might be right about verizon needing their global connectivity. After all there would be good reasons to not trust verizon.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

My dear fellow, CDNs offer all manner of functionalities that make them attractive to businesses of all sizes. It could be they wish to implement origin-making, or perhaps they need a managed geo-blocking service. Maybe they simply want to utilise effective caching in order to reduce the number of servers they need to maintain themselves - doing less yourself seems to be the mantra for most enterprise’s these days.

• @Nekki said:
    My dear fellow, CDNs offer all manner of functionalities that make them attractive to businesses of all sizes. It could be they wish to implement origin-making, or perhaps they need a managed geo-blocking service. Maybe they simply want to utilise effective caching in order to reduce the number of servers they need to maintain themselves - doing less yourself seems to be the mantra for most enterprise’s these days.

Excuse me kind sir, my waifu pesters me such a silly question, is trusting so much of the infrastructure of the internet on one private organization a terrible idea? How can I approach her question?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

@CheepCluck said: Excuse me kind sir, my waifu pesters me such a silly question, is trusting so much of the infrastructure of the internet on one private organization a terrible idea? How can I approach her question?

Sir, your waifu shows an intellect to complement what I'm sure are delicate features!

Clearly, allowing one organisation (private or otherwise) effective control of so much of the internet can only lead to disaster of the kind one would have nightmares of! It is the very anthesis the original vision for the internet and one that can only lead to unwelcome results. I myself abandoned the services of Cloudflare a few years hence and have not looked back.

• bdlbdl Member

To be better than the sixth largest internet broadcasting and cable television company in usa.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @bdl said:

To be better than the sixth largest internet broadcasting and cable television company in usa.

To be better would be absolute suicide. Might as well dive for the flight deck.

Thanked by 1bdl